beagle puppy help??

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    they did give us some of the food he has been eating and we also bought some more of the same stuff just so were stocked up!! but they didnt tell us how to toilet train him they did say that the puppy would find i hard at night sleeping without his mum and brothers and sisters but to jus put him in the crate and leave him there. lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dunno,what if he gets a disease or sumthin?? =/
  • BellaaahhhhBellaaahhhh Posts: 19,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, there are two types of beagles - the larger hunting ones (which you used to see fox hunting) which are bred for specifically hunting and the smaller pet ones.

Although the smaller beagles are still very much pack animals and are just noses on legs. They're difficult to train because they're so stubborn and independent thinking - and yet they like company (Beagles tend to get separation anxiety). They get bored extremely quickly and easily, because they need a job to do - i.e. hunt! They need lots and lots of exercise.

Looking after a beagle can be a full time job. :p

The hounds that are used for fox-hunting are fox-hounds and very different from beagles. Beagling is carried out on foot and the the beagles hunt for rabbits mainly.

You're absolutely right about the character of beagles. My beagle, Bella, loved her pack, (my family) and hated to be separated from us. She would panic if left in the car for a few minutes while I popped into a shop. They can be extremely greedy. She once ate a whole cauliflower from my vegetable rack and another time I caught her on the table eating grapes from the fruit bowl.

They have a wonderful placid nature, a fact that is exploited by drugs companies etc. unfortunately, hence the smoking beagles.

I really miss my Bella still, although she died about 8 years ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,846
    Forum Member
    i dunno,what if he gets a disease or sumthin?? =/

I think the garden would be okay wouldn't it? The vet told me it would be fine to let the puppy out into the garden before she had her vaccinations, but definitely not outside of the garden.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did you toilet train youre bella? and should i worry that she isnt eating much at the moment? we only got her on saturday!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    only problem is madge we never know when shes gonna poo she just does it,so i wudnt know when to take her in the garden??
    Forum Member
    only problem is madge we never know when shes gonna poo she just does it,so i wudnt know when to take her in the garden??

I thought it was a boy?

Anyway, my beagle pup used to circle and sniff the floor before she went to toilet. Or just take her out at regular intervals.

You've only had the pup for two days so don't expect miracles!
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww poor dog! Yes I have a cat now ;) Yeah you have to be really firm with training and do it all the time. My beagle would pick up training really quickly in the house or in the garden but would never EVER listen to you outside on walks etc. She was just too distracted by smells and other dogs. All she ever wanted was to be with other dogs. She would go disappearing off on her own but luckily never went very far as I only used to let her off in a field. Beagles can go missing for hours!

Tell m about it! If he ever found an old bone, it was completely impossible to get him back. I usually just had to go home and wait for him to turn up on the doorstep! Eventually I took to exercising him on one of these long, retractable leads - not ideal, but much safer.

One thing he could do, though, which was quite impressive - he could be starving hungry, but if you told him to "stay", he wouldn't touch his food until he was given the signal, so there was a brain in there somewhere!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yeah youre right we just need to have some patience with the little one!! yeah we have got a boy haha sorry i got confused for a second there!!! u think i cud try taking him into the garden like every 30 minutes?
    Forum Member
    susie4964 wrote: »
    Tell m about it! If he ever found an old bone, it was completely impossible to get him back. I usually just had to go home and wait for him to turn up on the doorstep! Eventually I took to exercising him on one of these long, retractable leads - not ideal, but much safer.

One thing he could do, though, which was quite impressive - he could be starving hungry, but if you told him to "stay", he wouldn't touch his food until he was given the signal, so there was a brain in there somewhere!

Lol I know what you mean, mine was the same. She was soooo clever! But only when she wanted to be.... :rolleyes: Typical beagle ;)
    Forum Member
    yeah youre right we just need to have some patience with the little one!! yeah we have got a boy haha sorry i got confused for a second there!!! u think i cud try taking him into the garden like every 30 minutes?

Yeah something like that. They often need the toilet after sleeping, playing and eating, if that helps.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    okkkk thankyou ill give it a go then :) cant do any harm can it
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I reckon it's like toilet-training a child. Take him into the garden regularly (maybe every hour, you do have a life!), and when he does perform, really praise him and reward him with a treat. If he doesn't perform, don't scold him, but just don't say anything. He should get the message pretty quickly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol I know what you mean, mine was the same. She was soooo clever! But only when she wanted to be.... :rolleyes: Typical beagle ;)

Then there was the unfortunate occasion when he ate most of a very alcoholic Christmas cake - he was drunk for 2 days! It's not really very funny, it could have been serious, but a dog with a hangover looks pretty much like a human. The carpet never recovered, we had to replace it in the end!
  • BellaaahhhhBellaaahhhh Posts: 19,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How did you toilet train youre bella? and should i worry that she isnt eating much at the moment? we only got her on saturday!!

We were very lucky as she picked up very quickly what was required of her. I always let her out into the garden after meals and praised her a lot when she performed. I used to be cross with her if she messed indoors and she didn't like that. They are very intelligent dogs and do learn quickly. I didn't use trays or anything like that but did put paper down at night.

They didn't use crates at the time we first had her, and I'm not sure if I like the idea. But then if I had a puppy now I suppose I might consider it.

Someone once described beagles to me as "all bed and belly". They weren't wrong.
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We've just been taking Barney into the garden frequently and offering lots of praise when he goes to the toilet out there. He's already running to the door and crying most times he needs to go now although we are still having occasional accidents. I trained my old dog the same way.

Provided your garden's secure from other dogs getting in and messing in it the chances of Jaffa getting ill and very slim. Check with your vet if you're concerned, but ours said we'd be safe enough provided he only be allowed in the garden. Just remember plenty of praise when he gets it right and don't make a big fuss if he has an accident in the house.

Here's Barney btw. http://i18.tinypic.com/80ui1s2.jpg
    Forum Member
    Then there was the unfortunate occasion when he ate most of a very alcoholic Christmas cake - he was drunk for 2 days! It's not really very funny, it could have been serious, but a dog with a hangover looks pretty much like a human. The carpet never recovered, we had to replace it in the end!

OMG! That's so beagle-esque though ;) Rule no. 1 when you have a dog - get laminate flooring ;)

My beagle ate a cactus once.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ok im gonna try taking her outside in the garden in abit see if she does anything,its worth a try :)
    Forum Member
    We were very lucky as she picked up very quickly what was required of her. I always let her out into the garden after meals and praised her a lot when she performed. I used to be cross with her if she messed indoors and she didn't like that. They are very intelligent dogs and do learn quickly. I didn't use trays or anything like that but did put paper down at night.

They didn't use crates at the time we first had her, and I'm not sure if I like the idea. But then if I had a puppy now I suppose I might consider it.

Someone once described beagles to me as "all bed and belly". They weren't wrong.

They certainly love their food! I would say my beagle was all belly and bonkers ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My beagle ate a cactus once.

Now THAT is just ridiculous! I mean plants, OK, can see that, but a cactus?!!

Cats can be just as bad, one of ours ate a whole pound of mince in a single sitting when we left it out accidentally. He actually bulged in the middle, and didn't eat anything else for about 3 days.
  • michelle666michelle666 Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Remember shortly after they wake/eat/drink/or after playing, is when they're most likely to go. Usually there's tell-tale signs they need to go, like a bit of whining, or running around frantically.

You'll soon learn to spot when he needs the loo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I hope soo! my mum is so worried about him she cant stop cryiing,i keep telling her theres nothing to worry about!!
    Forum Member
    Now THAT is just ridiculous! I mean plants, OK, can see that, but a cactus?!!

Cats can be just as bad, one of ours ate a whole pound of mince in a single sitting when we left it out accidentally. He actually bulged in the middle, and didn't eat anything else for about 3 days.

Lol I know. It was only a smallish catcus though, but even still. It was when she managed to jump onto the kitchen table and get to the cactus on the window cil. The naughty thing! There was soil *everywhere*.

Luckily she didn't really eat anything else alien, but she just used to chew everything - I went through about 32987938475 pairs of socks.

Hehe yeah cats can be as bad. Ours is too old and lazy to be bothered now, but she used to jump onto the kitchen work tops and look for food! She once managed to knock over her food (tupperware) box and ate the whole lot. :eek: Cats only have small stomachs! :eek:

Aren't pets great?! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope soo! my mum is so worried about him she cant stop cryiing,i keep telling her theres nothing to worry about!!

He'll be fine, like I said, it's similar to bringing up kids - if you can do that, a dog is just as easy! Be guided by the principle that if the dog looks fine and is behaving fine, he IS fine. The best thing you can teach a dog (and a child) is to accept and enjoy their own company sometimes!
    Forum Member

Why is she crying? Because he's not eating? Mine didn't eat much in the first couple of days. Think what a upheaval it's been for him to be separated from his family and put into a new place? He's only a baby! It'll be fine. You just need patience :)