Options

Early Simpsons Unwatchable?

mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
Forum Member
✭✭
Does anybody else find the Early Simpsons episodes unwatchable?

Homers' slow voice is the main culprit. Apparently Dan Castellaneta was trying to sound like Walter Matthau in those days.

As soon as I hear Homer speak I change channel.

Luckily it got better :)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If I ever watch the show on Channel 4 or Sky1 and an early ep comes on I turn it off straight away.
    It's terrible.
  • Options
    HelicaseHelicase Posts: 4,791
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I find Simpons after series 10 unwatchable.
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They're quite poor compared to what came later, but they're genius compared to any episodes made in the past 10 years.
  • Options
    Ghost WorldGhost World Posts: 7,036
    Forum Member
    I'm not a fan of the first season. As a general rule, if it has the old opening then I skip it.

Still, better than most of the last 10 seasons.
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    They're quite poor compared to what came later, but they're genius compared to any episodes made in the past 10 years.

Yep, anything after season 10 is unwatchable (and several season 10 eps are questionable) but I think the first season still has a certain charm, such as when Homer sucks out a marshmallow from a jelly and says "Marshmallow" in his low voice, but then it was just the first season and any show is going to change over time as they find their feet.
  • Options
    AbacaAbaca Posts: 2,520
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd say season 1 and seasons 17 onwards are the unwatchable ones, as even seasons 10 to 16 feel watchable compared to 17 onwards.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    I'm not a big fan of the 1st season but to be fair they were developing and finding their feet :)
  • Options
    Mister rosyMister rosy Posts: 285
    Forum Member
    Question: Why is it that Sky 1 show the same eps again and again, yet there are some episodes that are very rarely shown?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I skip the early season too as do when its the early seasons for Friends aswell the picture quality is terrible i find.
  • Options
    TrollheartTrollheart Posts: 5,093
    Forum Member
    I think early episodes are unintentionally hilarious, when you compare them to the later ones.
    Mister Burns looks like a shark, as does Moe
    Smithers is brown
    Barney is badly-drawn
    All the main characters' heads flip when they speak, ie the mouths open way too much
    Homer's original voice is just too funny
    Some of the ancillary characters are so badly-drawn you can see where, in some instances, they were hastily sketched, in others they're just variants of Bart
    Lenny and Karl have not yet been introduced, and Homer's coworkers are all generic slobs
    Some people in crowds look quite literally like monsters or things from a nightmare
    The deep blue sky on the opening credits always makes me laugh

Good to see how far they've come.... :)
    (at least, in terms of drawing)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find the early south park unwatchable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Early Family Guy is the same, can't watch them .
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Really....? I could watch any episode from Season 1-9, but anything after that is pure pish bar the odd episode here or there. The show has gone rapidly downhill since season 10 and doesn't look like it's gonna improve anytime soon.
  • Options
    jamespondojamespondo Posts: 6,040
    Forum Member
    I understand how people find the early episodes of The Simpsons unwatchable but it was great at the time.Maybe for people who watched from day one (like me) will enjoy them more.It was miles away from other cartoons,a true phenomenon.Even though it's short on comedy,it paints the perfect picture of the dysfunctional family with traces of satire and slapstick.Every episode in season 1 is like a moral tale,the animation is rubbish but I feel the later seasons actually became too perfect

The first 3 seasons pulled absolutely huge ratings in the US,so it had to be doing something right.
  • Options
    g-bhxug-bhxu Posts: 2,594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I bet that's the same conclusion that The BBC came to when they edited The Simpsons out of The Tracey Ulman Show.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Question: Why is it that Sky 1 show the same eps again and again, yet there are some episodes that are very rarely shown?
    I assume they only have rights to some series, have the rights to others? Are there some that neither channel owns?
  • Options
    Hutchy_MuseHutchy_Muse Posts: 7,083
    Forum Member
    Season 2-9 are watchable, after that there is only a select few who match the comedy..
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was under the impression Sky1 had exclusive rights to every episode, and they themselves sell the terrestrial rights to Channel 4.

And you might be interested to know, Jim Brooks (who owns The Simpsons) hated the original animation so much, at the first internal screening, he got up and started screaming at the animation supervisor. He demanded they go back and re-animate a lot, so that's why Season 1 changes so much.
  • Options
    subsistysubsisty Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    I think there's a cute charm to the first season, Homer's voice is a little offputting but if you can get past characters being recast in major movies, then why not a cartoon character sounding slightly different? As others said, they're definitely better than the more recent episodes, unfortunately...
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Oracle wrote: »
    I was under the impression Sky1 had exclusive rights to every episode, and they themselves sell the terrestrial rights to Channel 4.

Well, Sky = Fox, but satellite rights will be different from terrestrial ones and will need to be negotiated separately. They'll each last for a while before needing to be renewed, which is why some seasons do a few rounds on one platform before going to another.
  • Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    g-bhxu wrote: »
    I bet that's the same conclusion that The BBC came to when they edited The Simpsons out of The Tracey Ulman Show.

I honestly think that's a myth. I remember seeing them before the Simpsons series started running, and they were intact.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nope I like the early Simpsons personally.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jamespondo wrote: »
    I understand how people find the early episodes of The Simpsons unwatchable but it was great at the time.Maybe for people who watched from day one (like me) will enjoy them more.It was miles away from other cartoons,a true phenomenon.Even though it's short on comedy,it paints the perfect picture of the dysfunctional family with traces of satire and slapstick.Every episode in season 1 is like a moral tale,the animation is rubbish but I feel the later seasons actually became too perfect

The first 3 seasons pulled absolutely huge ratings in the US,so it had to be doing something right.

Oh definitely. It's only because it got much better (and Homer's voice and style wasn't as ponderous) that we have the opportunity to compare the two. I've never really compared later episodes, but I tend not to find many I don't like.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mychmose wrote: »
    Does anybody else find the Early Simpsons episodes unwatchable?

Homers' slow voice is the main culprit. Apparently Dan Castellaneta was trying to sound like Walter Matthau in those days.

As soon as I hear Homer speak I change channel.

Luckily it got better :)

Do you guys think it would be as funny with the same script and it wasn't a cartoon, just a human played sitcom? (with obvious necessary modifications).
  • Options
    EaglestrikerEaglestriker Posts: 3,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, the early ones are just a bit too...soft. No laugh-out-loud moments and the stories were a bit too sentimental.

I can't pin point a place in the Simpsons life where it started going downhill, but I do not like the new ones at all.

There was an episode where someone had been trying to murder Homer, and Sideshow Bob helped him find out who it was. It turned out to be Frank Grimes' son :eek:

The Frank Grimes episode ("Homer's Enemy"?) was pure comedy gold, but that new episode just put a stink on it.