Options

The Rihanna Appreciation Thread

Comments

• Options
    loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ok thanks, r u going to the birmingham one?
  • Options
    MikePJBMikePJB Posts: 5,514
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    ok thanks, r u going to the birmingham one?

I'm going to the London O2 Arena one on the 5th October.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    'Fire department' is now stuck in my head. How does she make that catchy?:)
  • Options
    loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah ok how early are planning on getting there to get the best standing spot?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    loveloveX wrote: »
    ah ok how early are planning on getting there to get the best standing spot?

I'm not 100% sure yet what time Im gonna get there. Maybe about 1-2 hours before it's scheduled to start. I wanna at the front, or really close. Definitely get there before the support act starts to really fill up.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,822
    Forum Member
    So apparently S&M stands for SCANDALS & MEDIA.
  • Options
    mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,999
    Forum Member
    LoveBug. wrote: »

ooh interesting. where did you hear that?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    ooh interesting. where did you hear that?

Doesn't it stand for sadomasochism?
  • Options
    Forum Member

thats what I thought...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does, but apparently in the song it stands for 'scandals + media' or 'slander + media' or something similar. If you look behind her on the pictures released there are all newspaper headlines slagging her off etc. Calling her a goat (Bossip and TGJ) and illuminati stuff. Also if you listen to S&M the lyrics can have a different meaning, she's saying 'the pain is my pleasure' so the public are the sadists saying horrible stuff about her, and she is the masochist, the stuff haters say motivates her. That's what I took from it anyway!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Thats so smart. Now, it has a different meaning. Both make sense:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cm1992 wrote: »
    Thats so smart. Now, it has a different meaning. Both make sense:D

I thought of the original meaning to begin with, so I could see why some radio stations (particularly in the US) would feel uncomfortable about playing it, but I like that there is a different meaning too.

:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    See, I'm loving Lily_2008's interpretation and I'm buying it BUT! when Rihanna sings ''SEX IN THEE AIRRR I DON'T CARE I LUV DA SMELL OF IT'', that kinda ruins the interpretation for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    See, I'm loving Lily_2008's interpretation and I'm buying it BUT! when Rihanna sings ''SEX IN THEE AIRRR I DON'T CARE I LUV DA SMELL OF IT'', that kinda ruins the interpretation for me.

That is a scandal:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ^ oh damn, I didn't know that! lol thanks
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lily_2008 wrote: »
    It does, but apparently in the song it stands for 'scandals + media' or 'slander + media' or something similar. If you look behind her on the pictures released there are all newspaper headlines slagging her off etc. Calling her a goat (Bossip and TGJ) and illuminati stuff. Also if you listen to S&M the lyrics can have a different meaning, she's saying 'the pain is my pleasure' so the public are the sadists saying horrible stuff about her, and she is the masochist, the stuff haters say motivates her. That's what I took from it anyway!

I wish that was the real meaning but if you look at all the lyrics, particularly the chorus and the bridge, its hard to see it as being anything but a song blatantly about sex.

I hope I'm wrong though and there is a deeper meaning :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scratchy23 wrote: »
    I wish that was the real meaning but if you look at all the lyrics, particularly the chorus and the bridge, its hard to see it as being anything but a song blatantly about sex.

I hope I'm wrong though and there is a deeper meaning :)

Yeah I agree, there are some parts (i.e. the chorus) which don't really fit so I guess it can be taken either way. Actually, I'm sure I read an interview with her somewhere (before the album came out) where she said that the meaning behind S&M was an attack on everyone who says she is too sexual, so maybe that's where the chorus comes from I don't know!

The bridge could be referring to what people say about her on blogs, like, she loves it when people hate on her:

Oh I love the feeling you bring to me
    Oh you turn me on
    It's exactly what I've been yearning for
    Give it to me strong

The only reason I think that though is because I'm sure once on her twitter someone said they get mad when people hate on her and she said it turns her on lol.

Not sure about the boudoir bit of the bridge though haha.
  • Options
    scratchy23scratchy23 Posts: 3,675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    S&M was the iTunes number one in Australia earlier. A good sign for things to come over here!
    I'm predicting it'll peak at about #12 In the official uk charts, in a few weeks time.
  • Options
    parkyzparkyz Posts: 827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is Unfaithful back at 66 on ITunes?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Listening to Hard at the moment. I'd forgotton (sp) how much I loved this song.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 832
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    parkyz wrote: »
    Why is Unfaithful back at 66 on ITunes?

I guess because #1 - it's 59p with a handful of other songs at the moment. #2 It's a great song :D (It's now #55 on iTunes).

I can't stop listening to Stupid in Love at the moment, Rated R, and Loud are both amazing albums. I love every track on each now :D

Roll on S&M Video! :cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm having a bit of a rihanna day today. :) I haven't listened to anything else since I got up this morning.

when was rihanna day in barbados? what date was it? Anybody know?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Anybody have a favourite Rihanna video?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think Rihanna Day is the 20th February.

My favorite Rihanna video has to be 'Umbrella'. Loved everything about that video from the glass shattering, the water effects when she dodging it, the silver body paint, the bit of dancing at the end. It gave me life :D.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    Anybody have a favourite Rihanna video?

My favourite would be Rehab because she looks amazing in it. And Rude Boy is a great video but i'm not the biggest fan of the song anymore. And I like Don't Stop The Music, especially the start of it.:)
This discussion has been closed.