Options

Masterchef new series (17/01/12)

Comments

• Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom made two souffles, or at least he put two in the oven, so I guess one was a back-up ..

Good spot!
  • Options
    Fit TuckerFit Tucker Posts: 1,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greg Wallace is a wonky mouthed football hooly...allegedly
  • Options
    mel_drewmel_drew Posts: 944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom made two souffles, or at least he put two in the oven, so I guess one was a back-up ..

Doesn't alter the fact that he took a sunken one to the judges and then took it back to his station. In fact, (I really should get a life) I've just looked again and the one he took back hadn't been touched. I know that there are production tricks that we don't, or shouldn't, see, but that was clumsy continuity.
  • Options
    apaulapaul Posts: 9,846
    Forum Member
    Fit Tucker wrote: »

Rugby union is babe magnet Shrek's sport.
  • Options
    Nova21Nova21 Posts: 14,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »
    Doesn't alter the fact that he took a sunken one to the judges and then took it back to his station. In fact, (I really should get a life) I've just looked again and the one he took back hadn't been touched. I know that there are production tricks that we don't, or shouldn't, see, but that was clumsy continuity.

Yep, just bugged me when i saw it first time round... Seems such an easy/obvious edit...
    Also, he went back to his station next to the middle eastern lady, (sorry, cant remember her name to spell it correctly) and the rest of their time they all had their own work stations
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fit Tucker wrote: »

He certainly seems to get more shouty (when his mouth's not
    stuffed with the biggest portion he can get in it) as each
    series goes by
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Have been reading the thread and giggling like crazy over some of the comments!

A bit off topic but does Shelina reminds anyone else of Callie from Grey's anatomy or is it just me? :o

Really enjoying the series liking Andrew and the lovely shelina.

Thx

Edit: spell check playing silly b£&7! S edited a word to show series.
  • Options
    Miles_TMiles_T Posts: 2,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh and I think this series is already heaps better than last year but I think that's coz we have a better standard of cooking...

Have to disagree I thought the standard presented to former winners was really poor overall, with exception of about four of them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm glad Ashvy has gone but I'm sad she was so poorly she couldn't continue - at the same time, I'm happy a better cook didn't go while she had a sick day. She was the weakest of the ones left and in my opinion, lucky to be final 12 at all.

I really don't like Tom, I can't tell you what it is about him that I've taken so strongly against - I just feel he thinks he knows it all already and he's already won it because he has the story and the random combinations etc. But that's just me - everyone else I know loves him! Can anyoone reassure me that it's not just me who doesn't like him!!

Shelina is such a beautiful woman - the image of Callie from Grey's too! I love her food and both she and Afsanneh seems like lovely, warm people. Afsanneh beaming while Shelina was getting such good feedback was lovely to see! And I loved how Andrew was learning not just from the challenges but from the other contestants and being inspired by them.

I don't want Emma, Eamonn, Tom or Aki (too much like Tim) to win. I'll not complain if any of the remaining ones do so, but I do think it's going to be between Jay, Andrew and either Aki or Shelina for finals week.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    Shelina does have a prettyish face. Got a horrible shock when watching her walk back to her bench. It looked like she had shoplifted a weeks worth of food and hidden them in her tights!

I assume the contestants submit a shopping list to the Masterchef production team prior to fiming an episode:

Shelina's list:
    2 large chickens
    1 leg of pork
    1 leg of mutton
    2 pounds of fillet steak
    1 goose
    1 Alphonse mango...
  • Options
    ladygardenerladygardener Posts: 2,621
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mel_drew wrote: »

John and Greg were on The One Show the other week and they said that immediately the contestants have plated up, their dishes are filmed so that we can see what the finished dish looks like. Then they take them back to their cooking area, ready to bring them up one at a time. J & G also said the food that is supposed to be hot, is usually just room temperature when they taste it, but that as the object is to taste the food, not to eat it, it doesn't matter that it's not hot. Obviously, less of a problem if it is a dessert.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 39
    Forum Member
    Hi everyone, hope you don't mind a newbie jumping in! I got hooked on the show during the last celebrity version and am very much enjoying this series. :)

My favourites are Andrew and Jay, and I quite like Shelina too, least favourites are probably Eamonn and Emma. Aki is the one I have trouble with because I find her a bit annoying, but at the same time she's clearly got skill so I enjoy seeing her cook, although at some point I'd like to see her do something that isn't Japanese just to see how she copes with it.

I have a feeling I'm in the minority here but I love both John and Gregg! I just find them both hilarious, all the overdramatic shouting, face-pulling, odd comments and sideways looks, and I just love how well they fit together. It's just not the same when they work with other people.

I'll sign off with a shameful Masterchef confession: I know it's wrong and bad and basically completely terrible of me but I somehow seem to have developed a crush on John. :o
  • Options
    fizzle90fizzle90 Posts: 6,467
    Forum Member
    Andrew is my favourite, followed by Shelina/Eamon.

I honestly don't know how much more of Aki's facial expressions I can take :mad:
  • Options
    reclinewithmereclinewithme Posts: 3,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone, hope you don't mind a newbie jumping in! I got hooked on the show during the last celebrity version and am very much enjoying this series. :)

My favourites are Andrew and Jay, and I quite like Shelina too, least favourites are probably Eamonn and Emma. Aki is the one I have trouble with because I find her a bit annoying, but at the same time she's clearly got skill so I enjoy seeing her cook, although at some point I'd like to see her do something that isn't Japanese just to see how she copes with it.

I have a feeling I'm in the minority here but I love both John and Gregg! I just find them both hilarious, all the overdramatic shouting, face-pulling, odd comments and sideways looks, and I just love how well they fit together. It's just not the same when they work with other people.

I'll sign off with a shameful Masterchef confession: I know it's wrong and bad and basically completely terrible of me but I somehow seem to have developed a crush on John. :o

Hi LL!! :) John and Gregg do fit together well as a comedy double act, I enjoy all their hamming and face pulling, and the predictable comments - it's like Carry On Cooking! You want to groan and smile at the same time. As for fancying John, I'm sure you won't be the only one, he's not bad looking after all. Glad you're enjoying the show!
  • Options
    RFSRFS Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Hiya - finally a day working at home and catching up with this - I am being a good little soldier and starting lots of revision for next exam and loads of shorthand so I missed this eppy entirely.

I was sorry to see Ashvy go if she was so poorly - but didn't they say that as committed as she was to the programme she had to discontinue for personal reasons?

Shelina looks like one of my family friends - in fact I did a complete double take when she first appeared - because I always thought my friend looked like Callie.

I had completely forgotten about the Atherton winners - until the end of the program.

I dunno, though, it felt like a bit of a cop out to let them all through again... Afsahne seemed to be the weakest this round.

I wonder how long before Eamon and Jay have a big fist fight in the kitchen!
  • Options
    SuperbeastSuperbeast Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coolmum123 wrote: »
    Hello all,

Have been reading the thread and giggling like crazy over some of the comments!

A bit off topic but does Shelina reminds anyone else of Callie from Grey's anatomy or is it just me? :o

Really enjoying the series liking Andrew and the lovely shelina.

Thx

Edit: spell check playing silly b£&7! S edited a word to show series.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-xuYi8irOrSI/TZaz0W7dsPI/AAAAAAAABtw/IfaQKokeYVg/s1600/Sara-Ramirez-Greys-Anatomy.jpg

You mean Sara Ramirez?

You must be watching in super widescreen.

Maybe if Sara Ramirez had the mumps and ate junk food for a month...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 31
    Forum Member
    fizzle90 wrote: »
    Andrew is my favourite, followed by Shelina/Eamon.

I honestly don't know how much more of Aki's facial expressions I can take :mad:

Andrew has the sort of face that makes me want to give him a big cuddle!

He is my favourite to win too.
  • Options
    AbrielAbriel Posts: 8,525
    Forum Member
    Hi LL!! :) John and Gregg do fit together well as a comedy double act, I enjoy all their hamming and face pulling, and the predictable comments - it's like Carry On Cooking!

when they were tasting that mango pud the other night, greg had waffled on about how great it was, then in a perfect John voice Mr A interjected "it's too sweet." we were in stitches, sadly John surprised us all by liking it too
  • Options
    coolmum123coolmum123 Posts: 1,467
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to let you good folks know, that I was doing some surfing on the tinternet and I have seen a site which reveals the winner of this series, not sure if it's true BUT be careful out there!

:)

I will now be watching to see if it is true. :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6
    Forum Member
    tjbantam wrote: »
    Echo the sentiments above.

Love the British Masterchef, Gregg and John are a great team, but for me the Oz version is better.

Gary, George and Matt have a great bond, and it isn't quite as formal as ours, there's a bit more lightheartedness than we have.

It's a 100% better. They actually seem to care about the cooking, rather than just focus on the forced 'drama' of the unrisen soufflé. The judges have real skill and demonstrate it often - mind you I'm not sure a Greg's Masterclass on Great Parsnips I have Known would work.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    i agree - maybe more than 100% better, for reasons I've mentioned on the Oz thread but mainly it's down to the production. Gary and George are possibly takes on the originals and, I have to say, I do like John and respect his expertise as do I like Gary and without doubt, his expertise demonstrated at the Masterclass sessions is impressive. You listen and accept what these two have to say.

Where UK falls is at the "Greg Fence" - he just doesn't cut it and is nowhere near as likeable as George. Double act they may be but as a all seasons watcher, please, please can we have someone else in place of Greg. Or even a third (not necessarily cravatted) judge...?

Add the loud, unloving in-your-face talk bits, rushed and repetitive shots, and (relatively) cheap production the UK original still churns out, the Australian version is just sheer comfort - and more of the contestants can really cook. And the Ozzies don't always stand on their hind legs over silly points like the "correct" way to match ingredients or tastes or cooking methods and are morre open to the new - John is the only one on UK's to stop, consider and be honest, whereas Greg just says over and over "Nah. Not for me".

The producers really need to take a few leaves out of other countries versions - great ideas, great variation and much MUCH more entertaining and engrossing.

I still watch it though :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only caught up over the weekend but I'd like to join this series thread, as its my fave part of DS and not managed to pop in so far this year :)

Felt the last couple of eps have been a big let-down. The first mass-catering task didn't really have the nerve-jangling factor for me mainly because I found myself not really caring less whether the Jane austen fans had to wait for their dinner or didn't like it :cool: On top of that,I didn't really understand the criteria for judging the 'winning' team - they didn't get a dessert out, the losers served a rubbish vegetarian dish...

As for this week's, I did enjoy the tractor factory task because the pressure was real and definitely 'on' to meet the factory's lunch hour. I thought Asfaneh (sp?) did great and she is one of my favourites this series. Agree with others who said though that she would have gone because of her over-cooked offal if they had kept to the elimination process. That would have been unfair imo.

Liking Asfaneh, Eamonn
    Indifferent (at the moment) Emma, Andrew, Shelina
    Least favourites Aki Tom & Jay

Great reading through the thread, this series there are no clear likes/dislikes we all seem to like different contestants :)
  • Options
    anirose26anirose26 Posts: 1,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I'm glad Ashvy has gone but I'm sad she was so poorly she couldn't continue - at the same time, I'm happy a better cook didn't go while she had a sick day. She was the weakest of the ones left and in my opinion, lucky to be final 12 at all.

I really don't like Tom, I can't tell you what it is about him that I've taken so strongly against - I just feel he thinks he knows it all already and he's already won it because he has the story and the random combinations etc. But that's just me - everyone else I know loves him! Can anyoone reassure me that it's not just me who doesn't like him!!

Shelina is such a beautiful woman - the image of Callie from Grey's too! I love her food and both she and Afsanneh seems like lovely, warm people. Afsanneh beaming while Shelina was getting such good feedback was lovely to see! And I loved how Andrew was learning not just from the challenges but from the other contestants and being inspired by them.

I don't want Emma, Eamonn, Tom or Aki (too much like Tim) to win. I'll not complain if any of the remaining ones do so, but I do think it's going to be between Jay, Andrew and either Aki or Shelina for finals week.

No you are not alone. I don't like him as well. He seems so arrogant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello,

This is the 1st series of Masterchef I have watched and I am really, really enjoying it!

I agree with someone else about Eamonn and Jay are going to come to fisty cuffs lol!! They are two of my favourite though along side Afsannah & Andrew.

I think Emma will be the next out. She doesn't overly impress does she?

It shocks me though how amatuers know all these different ingredients!! I thought I was being spontaneous adding honey to my stir fry ha!

And to the poster who has a crush on John, don't worry I am right beihnd you with my major Gregg crush :o:)
  • Options
    oulandyoulandy Posts: 18,242
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this series on Thursday nights only now? I am beginning to lose touch and forget who some of them are. Tom for instance, is mentioned above and I cannot for the life of me remember which one he is or anything about him.
This discussion has been closed.