Vegetarian alternative - Worcestershire Sauce

2»

Comments

• Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    Just stick the Worcestershire sauce in I doubt the would ever taste or realise there is any "animal" in it.:D Of course it is different if there is a medical reason why a person cannot have certain ingredients like a nut, gluten or dairy allergy, but vegetarianism is different if it is just a fad, it would not make them ill.
    Personally I would view it as so disrespectful if any of my friends did something like that deliberately it would put the friendship under significant strain.
    c4rv wrote: »
    It honestly isn't that hard, just leave out the Worcestershire sauce.

You are better off not inviting them if you can't be bothered to respect their wishes.
    Indeed. What sort of mental case would offer to cook a vegetarian meal and then deliberately feed their vegetarian guests animal products?
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    I think I've made the recipe the OP mentioned, or one very like it, and Marmite would be too strong a flavour. The recipe doesn't really need Worcestershire sauce in the first place. Black pepper, paprika, some fresh parsley perhaps, would all be subtler and complement the mushrooms. Maybe a tiny amount of mustard would give it a kick.

To each his own, I suppose. I often make mushroom stroganoff and I think it adds depth of flavour in the absence of the usual beef. Tomato puree and mustard are an essential part, but someone mentioned smoked paprika earlier, which would be much too strong for my taste. Why paprika, anyway? It's not goulash. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Personally I would view it as so disrespectful if any of my friends did something like that deliberately it would put the friendship under significant strain.

Indeed. What sort of mental case would offer to cook a vegetarian meal and then deliberately feed their vegetarian guests animal products?

I agree. The suggestion was pure tw*ttery.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why is it rubbish? I guess it happens accidentally quite often - it's not gonna kill someone is it? It's a few drops of sauce not a whole bird/animal.

I guess some find it very offensive but I'm sorry I'm not one of them. There seems to me to be far graver things to be getting upset about than a couple of drops of sauce.

You are deliberately going against their wishes, that means you don't respect them or their beliefs. You would soon be an ex friend of mine if you did that to me deliberately.

If on the other hand you did it accidentally that would be completely different and there would be nothing to forgive, accidents happen.

Just because something is not important to you doesn't mean it is not important to others, try to look beyond your own self and consider others.
  • Options
    indianwellsindianwells Posts: 12,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make a Christmas pudding every year for one of my colleagues and she is vegetarian. The first time I did it I used suet as because it was a pudding it didn't occur to me it would be wrong to do so. Well she raved about it and asked me to do one again the following year. This time I used veggie suet and she asked me what I did to it as it wasn't as good. I told her I used a slightly different recipe. The upshot was she begged me to go back to the original recipe so that's what I've done every year since. I know, I know, I'm horrible.
  • Options
    bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I make a Christmas pudding every year for one of my colleagues and she is vegetarian. The first time I did it I used suet as because it was a pudding it didn't occur to me it would be wrong to do so. Well she raved about it and asked me to do one again the following year. This time I used veggie suet and she asked me what I did to it as it wasn't as good. I told her I used a slightly different recipe. The upshot was she begged me to go back to the original recipe so that's what I've done every year since. I know, I know, I'm horrible.

Assuming that you didn't tell her of your mistake then what you're doing is wrong, not the first time which was an accident but the rest of them. If you did tell her and she decided to have the original suet then she is not a vegetarian.

My advice to you in the future (assuming she is veggie) would be to use the veggie suet and just say you can't get the old one any more.
  • Options
    Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the end I found the Tiger Tiger vegetarian worcester sauce and it seemed to go down well.

I know worcester sauce probably wasn't vital in the recipe, but seeing as it was my first time trying that particular recipe I thought I should follow the directions as written. I'm more used to doing a beef stroganoff than a mushroom one!

As for the suggestion to just use Lea & Perrins - I couldn't do that to my friends, it's incredibly disrespectful. They may not have known, but I would have and I would have felt awful.

Thanks again to all the suggestions!
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    To each his own, I suppose. I often make mushroom stroganoff and I think it adds depth of flavour in the absence of the usual beef. Tomato puree and mustard are an essential part, but someone mentioned smoked paprika earlier, which would be much too strong for my taste. Why paprika, anyway? It's not goulash. :p
    I'd use which ever paprika I have in. At the moment I have smoked in the spice rack. It is stronger so I would use less.

The first listed recipies on this site all use paprika
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/stroganoff
    Larousse Gastronomique lists Stroganov as a cream, paprika, veal stock and white wine recipe
  • Options
    edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the end I found the Tiger Tiger vegetarian worcester sauce and it seemed to go down well.

I know worcester sauce probably wasn't vital in the recipe, but seeing as it was my first time trying that particular recipe I thought I should follow the directions as written. I'm more used to doing a beef stroganoff than a mushroom one!

As for the suggestion to just use Lea & Perrins - I couldn't do that to my friends, it's incredibly disrespectful. They may not have known, but I would have and I would have felt awful.

Thanks again to all the suggestions!
    Glad the evening went well :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'd use which ever paprika I have in. At the moment I have smoked in the spice rack. It is stronger so I would use less.

The first listed recipies on this site all use paprika
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/stroganoff

I'm not saying it's wrong to use it, I quite like the unsmoked stuff, but it's not in the original Russian recipes. Larousse Gastronomique is about French cooking, isn't it?

It's like cottage pie/shepherd's pie all over again eh?

Apparently the whole thing created quite a controversy for the Australian Masterchef! :Dhttp://www.smh.com.au/entertainment/tv-and-radio/masterchef-stroganoff-triggers-heated-spice-debate-20100615-ycmc.html
  • Options
    WolfsheadishWolfsheadish Posts: 10,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I don't think i've ever used it in stroganoff. Just leave it out. Main ingredients for me are soured cream and smoked paprika.

That's what I was going to say. I've never heard of it used in any kind of stroganoff :(
  • Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doormouse wrote: »
    http://www.marthastewart.com/258132/homemade-vegan-worcestershire-sauce

im afraid it's a recipe though.

edited apparently some use either miso or oyster sauce as a substitute for Worcestershire.

OYSTER SAUCE -- Oyster sauce describes a number of sauces made by cooking oysters. The most common in modern use is a viscous dark brown condiment made from sugar, salt and water thickened with cornstarch, flavoured with a little oyster essence or extract[and some versions may be darkened with caramel, though high quality oyster sauce is naturally dark.[4] It is commonly used in Cantonese, Thai, Vietnamese and Khmer cuisine

Trying to buy vegetarian oyster sauce is a lot harder to find than veggie Worcestershire or Hendersons Relish.