Labour and Tory ratings suffer as Farage attacks backfire.

BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
Forum Member
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2014/may/20/labour-tory-poll-ratings-farage-attacks
Labour and Tory ratings suffer as Farage attacks backfire

George Osborne planning to mount attack on Labour and Ukip as polling suggests voters do not regard Ukip leader as racist

Labour and Tory polling is showing that attacks claiming Nigel Farage is a racist have backfired since voters do not regard him as such and see the assaults as a sign that the political establishment are ganging up to undermine him.

The apparent backlash is coming to both parties from telephone polling and focus groups, which say that the attacks have raised Farage's profile and confirmed him as the anti-establishment candidate. It does not tally with published opinion polls that show the Ukip lead in the European elections narrowing slightly.

One source said: "Calling people names does not work. It confirms the old politics."

OOPS! Bit late now.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And when opponents attack in person like this...

https://www.facebook.com/Notoeu/photos/a.471291522956549.1073741828.470462766372758/671791372906562/?type=1

There isn't much else to say.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Lots of people still blame Labour for the financial crisis. Few people liked the Tories in the first place. The Lib Dems are buggered for obvious reasons. Of course people are going to be protest voting.
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    Lyricalis wrote: »
    Lots of people still blame Labour for the financial crisis. Few people liked the Tories in the first place. The Lib Dems are buggered for obvious reasons. Of course people are going to be protest voting.

A protest vote doesn't get the kind of percentage UKIP is expected to get.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you look at UKIP its only Farage people connect with.
    On paper there is no way in hell UKIP should be doing as good as they are because it really is a one man party (mediawise). Its a complete Failure by the Government (c/o nick clegg) and Labour.

Clegg was charged with making the public see how wrong UKIP are he failed completely
    out comes Ed with his grand plan for the UK's future role in the EU and it was just b*llocks
    the 2010 Gordon Brown Arrogance still remains they know better than anyone.
    It should have been Ed's role to really inform people what the EU gives the UK and parts of it like Scotland and Wales much needed funding we would never get from Central government. All he harped on about was any more changes and then he would consider an In out vote.

the positive messages on the EU simply haven't happened they don't want to leave the EU but they don't want to be seen Defending the EU. Cleggs idea of Defence is just boring everyone into a coma hoping that does the trick.
  • KIIS102KIIS102 Posts: 8,539
    Forum Member
    In the next 24-48 hours, UKIP obsession on this forum is going to hit new highs. If anything, all the attacks on UKIP lately by people on this forum/the media and the political parties have almost but guaranteed the fate of Thursdays Election.

About time too.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Meh. Let them have their moment in the sun. I'm seriously past caring.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »
    A protest vote doesn't get the kind of percentage UKIP is expected to get.

If it was a general election you'd have a point but no-one cares about the Euro elections.
  • trunkstertrunkster Posts: 14,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    Meh. Let them have their moment in the sun. I'm seriously past caring.

Of course you are.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, as I mentioned in my other thread that no-one read I'm beginning to think that Nigel may actually be part of the establishment and working with the main parties leaders because the electorate is only being offered two choices for Europe, stay in the EU and have further integration or leave altogether. The main parties and the press will panic everyone about leaving the EU, all the millions of jobs lost etc and we'll stay in and become part of a Federal Europe.

The choice we should be given is go back to the EC and be a trading economic community again, have control over the borders again, no single currency, after all there was never anything wrong with this the problems only started with the single currency. But we are never going to be offered this because the establishment want to complete "the European Project" and then it will be "the World Project".
  • BoyardBoyard Posts: 5,393
    Forum Member
    If it was a general election you'd have a point but no-one cares about the Euro elections.

Maybe in the past. This is one of the more important ones and it's local council elections too.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is this the new line of attack?
    I kind of thought it would turn up sooner or later.:D

Was just waiting for the first show, a bit like the first cuckoo.

I wonder how many times it will be heard over the next few days?
    "This election isn't really important"
  • LateralthinkingLateralthinking Posts: 8,027
    Forum Member
    Moleskin wrote: »
    To be honest, as I mentioned in my other thread that no-one read I'm beginning to think that Nigel may actually be part of the establishment and working with the main parties leaders because the electorate is only being offered two choices for Europe, stay in the EU and have further integration or leave altogether. The main parties and the press will panic everyone about leaving the EU, all the millions of jobs lost etc and we'll stay in and become part of a Federal Europe.

The choice we should be given is go back to the EC and be a trading economic community again, have control over the borders again, no single currency, after all there was never anything wrong with this the problems only started with the single currency. But we are never going to be offered this because the establishment want to complete "the European Project" and then it will be "the World Project".

Expansion was even worse than the single currency.

What league would require/welcome Manchester City and Macclesfield being in the same division?

Not any sane or viable one.
  • EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member

It's not true to say, "no-one cares about the Euro elections". Evidently, those who intend to vote do care albeit fewer than about 40%.

The irony of not having a majority interested in the EU elections is what's the point in having them if they're not valued? Of course we all know that voting MEPs in to the EU Parliament is a complete white wash and designed to pretend that the EU is a democratic, people power organisation. It's nothing of the sort.
  • Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boyard wrote: »

George Osborne planning to mount attack on Labour and Ukip as polling suggests voters do not regard Ukip leader as racist

Yes, today, the Tories have very clearly switched some of their attack from UKIP to Labour. That's more than obvious.
  • MoleskinMoleskin Posts: 3,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Expansion was even worse than the single currency.

What league would require/welcome Manchester City and Macclesfield being in the same division?

Not any sane or viable one.

I don't know if that is the main problem though, Greece, Spain and Portugal were poor countries when they joined the EEC but they caught up, and without open European borders.
  • Speak-SoftlySpeak-Softly Posts: 24,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't know if that is the main problem though, Greece, Spain and Portugal were poor countries when they joined the EEC but they caught up, and without open European borders.

The problem is/was that as this country paid for those countries infrastructure to be built, we watched/are watching our crumbling Victorian infrastructure disintegrate because "we can't afford to fix it".
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member

Yes comical isn't it. Weeks spent relentlessly attacking UKIP - and now if they win well it doesn't matter cos the EU isn't important.

It would of course be the first time in over 150 years that a party other than Tories, Labour or the Liberals has topped the poll in a UK wide election. That is quite something if it occurs!
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jol44 wrote: »
    Yes, today, the Tories have very clearly switched some of their attack from UKIP to Labour. That's more than obvious.

It's a bit late TBH. I wonder how many millions have been spent by various parties turning UKIP into the main talking point of this election. They may as well have bought a big flashy sign saying "Protest vote here" (The Greens must be well p*ss*d off).

I think there are a few parties out there who seriously who need to consider sacking their strategists and taking a long hard look at how they conduct their politics. Before the damage is irreversible if it's not already.
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    What is interesting is not so much that people disbelieve the stories about Farage and UKIP, but more that, seemingly, completely new voters are coming to their fold as a result of the stories.

This is quite remarkable. Who are these people who previously weren't going to vote UKIP, but now that they're being "got at", all of a sudden feel the need to switch allegiance?

Is that really what concentrates the minds of voters? Forget points of principle, forget policy, forget important questions facing the country -- just set someone up as a 'victim' and see 10% of the electorate jumping to their defence?

Really?!?

It's surreal.
  • redvers36redvers36 Posts: 4,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

The economy of Greece has collapsed since 2010 and is now back to the size when it joined the Euro so "caught up" with what?
  • MidnightFalconMidnightFalcon Posts: 15,016
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jjne wrote: »
    What is interesting is not so much that people disbelieve the stories about Farage and UKIP, but more that, seemingly, completely new voters are coming to their fold as a result of the stories.

This is quite remarkable. Who are these people who previously weren't going to vote UKIP, but now that they're being "got at", all of a sudden feel the need to switch allegiance?

Is that really what concentrates the minds of voters? Forget points of principle, forget policy, forget important questions facing the country -- just set someone up as a 'victim' and see 10% of the electorate jumping to their defence?

Really?!?

It's surreal.

Is it possible that there is an undercurrent of opinion among the British public that feels racial politics has been overplayed as a weapon among the political classes in this country?

That when they hear the parties talk race they hear not people who want to promote racial harmony and respect among all, They hear institutions seeking to exploit (or create) division and fear for their own ends?

Yes I get that there are many that would say that that is primarily what UKIP is all about. Maybe the public only see them as an opportunity to give our discredited ruling classes a well deserved kick in the nuts. Perhaps that drive is drowning out the sound of a tune that has been played one too many times.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The parties and their tribal loyalists are missing the point. It's not that UKIP are gaining support, it's that they are losing it. UKIP are benefitting because England doesn't have any other non-Lib/Lab/Con parties that stand a realistic chance.

The past ten years have shown in Scotland, for example, the moment an alternative appeared combined with a proportional system that makes it easier for a small party to make the breakthrough, it wasn't long before they were running the show. The establishment and SNP diehards would like us to think that there is something unique to Scotland which caused that, but the reality is that English and Scottish politics are really not that far removed from each other and the SNP rose on a none-of-the-above ticket, which is exactly what UKIP is doing.

The past few weeks have really shown that LibLabCon just don't get it. They think that if they manage to knock UKIP down, the genie will go back in the bottle and it will be business as usual for an establishment that has only managed to hold on to power for as long as it has because the electoral system prevents serious challenge. It's complete ignorance of what is pushing people away from the main parties, and which has for a very long time.
  • john176bramleyjohn176bramley Posts: 25,049
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Ennerjee wrote: »
    It's not true to say, "no-one cares about the Euro elections". Evidently, those who intend to vote do care albeit fewer than about 40%.

The irony of not having a majority interested in the EU elections is what's the point in having them if they're not valued? Of course we all know that voting MEPs in to the EU Parliament is a complete white wash and designed to pretend that the EU is a democratic, people power organisation. It's nothing of the sort.
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    Yes comical isn't it. Weeks spent relentlessly attacking UKIP - and now if they win well it doesn't matter cos the EU isn't important.

It would of course be the first time in over 150 years that a party other than Tories, Labour or the Liberals has topped the poll in a UK wide election. That is quite something if it occurs!

I've no idea who my current MEP is or what party they are from. Whether my next MEP is from Labour, Conservative, LibDem, Ukip or the Green party I don't believe it will make one jot of difference to my life.

If a Ukip victory puts the willies up the big 3 parties then maybe it will do some good but I wouldn't like to see Ukip in power in the UK, not because of their anti EU stance but because of their other policies.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    I've no idea who my current MEP is or what party they are from. Whether my next MEP is from Labour, Conservative, LibDem, Ukip or the Green party I don't believe it will make one jot of difference to my life.

If a Ukip victory puts the willies up the big 3 parties then maybe it will do some good but I wouldn't like to see Ukip in power in the UK, not because of their anti EU stance but because of their other policies.

How many people can name their MP either - an MEP probably has about as much influence over your daily life as whipped fodder.. Your local councillors probably have more impact too - can you name them?

As for who your MEP is - well you will have at least 5 and maybe 10. So you will probably have an MEP from a party you back.
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,795
    Forum Member
    OP,

In general in my experiences, I often find that racist people want to be racist, say racist things but not be called a racist.

While I'm not sure on what Farage is really like, even if he said out and out racist things, I think people would still defend him. One example where I remember people defending a racist statement was when Ron Atkinson used the N word against a Chelsea footballer.

Just in case anyone misunderstands this post, I do not support racism nor what the likes of what Ron Atkinson said. I'm pointing out what other people did when that situation happened.