BBC spends £31,000 per day of tax payers money on taxi fares

Comments

• steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tim59 wrote: »
    And all Large organisation that are paid for by tax payers money have to give account of what is being spent and were the money is going. That is what the NAO job is to make sure tax pyers money IS being spent well and tax payers ARE getting value for money. If the BBC does not want the NAO to go though the accounts then they better turn themselves into a private company were they are not accountable to tax payers. They will be accountable to sharholders instead.

How many times it IS NOT TAX PAYERS money.
  • Surferman1Surferman1 Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think you'll find that a large amount of this money is actually spent ferrying politicians to and from various studios around the country, so maybe they, including the constant BBC bashing and odious Philip Davies MP, who spends most of his working life moaning and whinging, would like to reveal how much the BBC has spent on their transport costs over the last 3 years. Much like the expenses scandal revealed, I expect Mr Davies and many others will be shown to be the hypocrites we know them to be.

As for the Express, well I don't think anyone should be taking lectures about accountability and scruples from anything that has the involvement of Richard Desmond. Let's put it to a vote. Who do you trust the most to provide you with your news, the BBC or Express Newspapers? No contest.
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surferman1 wrote: »
    I think you'll find that a large amount of this money is actually spent ferrying politicians to and from various studios around the country.

Interesting observation ... what is the proportion... :confused:
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bwfcol wrote: »
    I don't know, if you have to get to work at 3am and there's no public transport, you can't drive and don't live within walking distance, then taxis is about the only option.

The BBC can't make people live within walk distance of work.

If you take a job like that then part of the decision to take it is "can I get there". Employers are not responsible for getting staff to and from work.
  • Guest82722Guest82722 Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    If you take a job like that then part of the decision to take it is "can I get there". Employers are not responsible for getting staff to and from work.

If ITV and Sky offer this perk, then the BBC has to, to be competative.
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its quite possible it is part of their terms and conditions but employers are not expected to transport their staff to and from work, even when working anti social hours. If they have a staff retention problem they often do offer perks.

I work 32 miles from my work and there is a staff retention problem in my profession so they do offer assistance to get to and from work...for a limited period. When that period is up I will be job seeking because I cant take the £350 per month hit...so it does happen.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    steveh31 wrote: »
    How many times it IS NOT TAX PAYERS money.

Yes it is because when a person buys a tv licence the money does not straight to the BBC it goes to the government , if a person buys virgin or sky services the money goes straight to sky or virgin.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    Isn't it a private firm they use to bring staff in for early mornings and home late at night? With the cost of car parking around the capital of London where to the staff park their cars? The corporation should have built a staff car park? This happens across the commercial radio sector to get their early and late staff to work and home.

How many commercial radio networks are there in the centre of London?

BBC runs a 24/7 operation and not just someone playing records, they have a big news service and many radio network running.

Would they have got planning permission for a big car park or multi-storey car park right in the centre of London? I can just imagine the Daily Mail headline for BBC pays £xxx million to demolish building to build a car park.

I am sure most people if called by the BBC or Daily Mail and asked to go to their studio or office to give an interview, would ask when to expect the taxi to collect them.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,948
    Forum Member
    ds_reader wrote: »

And those same MPs quite happily take payments for appearing on programmes plus green room niceties such as sticky buns....that's buns!

I note the article quotes only Tory MPs and assumes the Conservatives will win the next election.
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And all Large organisation that are paid for by tax payers money have to give account of what is being spent and were the money is going. That is what the NAO job is to make sure tax pyers money IS being spent well and tax payers ARE getting value for money. If the BBC does not want the NAO to go though the accounts then they better turn themselves into a private company were they are not accountable to tax payers. They will be accountable to sharholders instead.

How much would it cost if every journey required a form to be filled in with a detailed account of the reason for the journey and then someone analyse them (probably without understanding any of it).
  • rkolsenrkolsen Posts: 140
    Forum Member
    I bet these people would have a stroke if they ever found out that some broadcasters will pay for a hotel during inclement weather. Here in the US during severe snow storms and hurricanes the networks and some affiliates will pay for employees to stay in a hotel close by. The most recent time they payed for a hotel was in January when there was a blizzard that was projected to hit NYC and the mayor shut down the transport system for safety. It would be a hardship for most employees to get to work in the snow so they put them in hotels within walking distance.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ds_reader wrote: »

Obviously, I don't know the exact proportion, but if you think that every local radio station, every television region, all the national stations both tv and radio, all have political guests on various programmes throughout the day, both live and recorded, most of those will have to be transported some how or other and you don't get busy MPs to your studio if you say we'll pay your bus fare.
    I have taken part in a number of BBC programmes over the years. On one occasion, the BBC paid for my train fare to London and then a taxi to the studio, on the others I was living in London and they provided a taxi to and from the studio as they had a tight schedule for the programmes. The producer did say I could use the tube, but since I wasn't close to a tube station that wasn't going to work out well. I should point out that hospitality has never consisted of more than machine coffee or tea in a plastic cup and on the last occasion I was informed by the receptionist that there were no biscuits 'anymore' although she had her own packet in her desk if I wanted a couple.
    I know it's fashionable and easy to take a pop at any apparent superfluous expenditure that the BBC makes, but my experience, especially recently is that the private sector is far more extravagant and much less stingy than the BBC on its hospitality and transport for employees and guests. Such is the disparity between assumed and reality, BBC employees have resorted to taking photos of their hotels and facilities in order to prove to the public what they are provided with by the BBC when away or on location. I'd like politicians to do the same before they pass comment.
    Forum Member
    Yes it is because when a person buys a tv licence the money does not straight to the BBC it goes to the government , if a person buys virgin or sky services the money goes straight to sky or virgin.

It is a LICENCE fee the same as a fishing LICENCE isn't a tax, the same as a parking fee isn't a tax....maybe you are new to this country and don't understand or are one of those extremely rich people with a not so secret bank account in Switzerland who resents having to pay for anything in the UK? :)
  • RedSnapperRedSnapper Posts: 2,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bart4858 wrote: »
    So 0.3% of its budget? I'd be more interested in how the other 99.7% was spent.

Eastenders and The Voice.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RedSnapper wrote: »
    Eastenders and The Voice.

Now I don't think you really believe that Eastenders and The Voice cost £3.4 billion even with the live editions this week. ;-)
    Forum Member
    By the way was the golf buggy used to transport 'Ian Beale' from the studio to 'Albert Square' included as a 'Taxi'?

Some old Tory MPs who probably bet on Jane or Denise killing off Lucy let their anger out by griping about BBC taxis. The same MPs who truly do waste millions of taxpayers money being provided with subsidised meals and champagne and taxis home, housing, televisions, duck house & moats.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »
    Some old Tory MPs who probably bet on Jane or Denise killing off Lucy let their anger out by griping about BBC taxis. The same MPs who truly do waste millions of taxpayers money being provided with subsidised meals and champagne and taxis home, housing, televisions, duck house & moats.

Indeed. I didn't see Philip Davies remind us that over the last 3 years, MPs have claimed over £300million in expenses alone, including kit kats, rulers, a 300 yard journey, packets of crisps.:
    Philip Davies MP: Total Expenses: £180,836.31 for 2013/14 charged to taxpayers. Travel Expenses: £9,330.98 charged to tax payers. There are a number of taxi fare charges which he has charged taxpayers too. He even charged taxpayers for £1.00 car parking charges. Total hypocrite.
  • tim59tim59 Posts: 47,188
    Forum Member
    It is a LICENCE fee the same as a fishing LICENCE isn't a tax, the same as a parking fee isn't a tax....maybe you are new to this country and don't understand or are one of those extremely rich people with a not so secret bank account in Switzerland who resents having to pay for anything in the UK? :)

It has been classed as a tax since 2006
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seeing as the employees are so well paid, surely they could find their way to and from work
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    Seeing as the employees are so well paid, surely they could find their way to and from work

Don't think you've even bothered to read this thread and hardly worth explaining it to you either.
  • *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    What of the Speaker of the House of Commons, one John Bercow, who blew £177 of taxpayers' money on a chauffeur driven car for a four-mile round trip to Euston station and back to his office ? A cab would have cost £33 and the tube £4.60. Is anyone investigating him ?

The £177 seems like an awful lot, but I wouldn't like to judge without knowing the nature of the trip.

It's probable that a tube journey was ruled out on the grounds of security, but a cab should be fine for most journeys. If he had a particular need for privacy, then a private car might be more appropriate, but I'm struggling to see how that could cost £177. Surely there is a pool of cars for use by ministers etc, and he could be using one of those.

It's a bit like MPs getting first class trains. I don't mind, especially for longer journeys when there is a good chance they could get some work done. What I do object to is the culture of getting the tickets at the last minute, because they can. Last minute standard class, open tickets are considerably more expensive than first class booked in advance.

The House of Commons needs to come up with some kind of deal with the train companies.

I know that Phillip Schofield gets driven to and from all of his ITV jobs, and he lives hours away. Apparently he uses the time in the morning to read through scripts and things, and he was always tweeting on the way home from Dancing on Ice. He regularly had to remind people that he was not driving himself! I know he gets put up at the Marriott by Westminster Bridge if there's a risk of dodgy weather, to make sure he gets to This Morning in time.

I dread to think what that would cost, but if a commercial organisation think it's OK for someone like him to get driven to and from work, then I don't see why the BBC shouldn't pay for someone like Zoe Ball to get the same when she was working on Strictly.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By the way was the golf buggy used to transport 'Ian Beale' from the studio to 'Albert Square' included as a 'Taxi'?

You really couldn't make it up could you.And most of them have family members on the payroll, how strange that they are the best people qualified to do the jobs when no-one else has been interviewed.
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    You really couldn't make it up could you.And most of them have family members on the payroll, how strange that they are the best people qualified to do the jobs when no-one else has been interviewed.

And these MPs provided the Northern & Shell owned Express with this exclusive, a company exposed by the BBC as moving internal loans in the UK to Luxembourg.

And then in 2014 it was revealed...
    Northern and Shell, the UK media group with a 50 per cent interest in the Irish Star, set up a one-man operation in Ireland to hold €1 billion (£823.5 million) in assets as part of a tax avoidance measure, documents from PWC Luxembourg show.

Documents seen by The Irish Times show how the media group took steps in late 2009 to ensure assets it had built up in Luxembourg as part of an intra-group financing scheme did not become subject to a 0.5 per cent wealth tax that would become due at the end of the year.

While the effect of the structure is not documented, it may have saved Northern and Shell a total of £20 million in Luxembourg wealth tax, over a four year period. A request to the company for a comment met with no response.

On this matter the MP's remain strangely silent.
    Forum Member
    Assuming we are getting a truthful and honest figures from the right wing Tories who no doubt would rush out and jump into a taxi to buy shares in the BBC if it were privatised.....

If I've done the sums correctly it costs a licence payer £0.00124 a day or less than 50p a year.

Or to put it another way that's about 3 times less than what Council Tax payers fork out paying for a taxi to transport the son of penniless multi millioneress Katie Price to school daily.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,026
    Forum Member
    spiney2 wrote: »
    i think no 18 bus is closest to connecting portland place with sheperds bush. Of course you'd waste millions of pounds in lost output .....

No, Number 18 bus does not go anywhere near Shepherd's Bush,
    it runs between Sudbury near Harrow and London Euston Station via the Harrow Road