Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No , Sorry , my time machine is in for servicing at the moment.:D

Looks good though.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a "friend" has just watched it and it might just have finished about 10 minutes ago.

he kind of liked it, but isn't sure. he agrees with the reviewer on IMDB that it's a road movie with a love story thrown in, but he felt it was a bit of a let down based on the trailer.

he may well go and see it at the cinema when it's released though ..
  • Options
    UltraVioletUltraViolet Posts: 7,673
    Forum Member
    No , Sorry , my time machine is in for servicing at the moment

It was shown at the fright fest in London in August, so some members of the public will have seen it already.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ruddiger wrote: »
    No , Sorry , my time machine is in for servicing at the moment.:D

Looks good though.

You can watch it out the internet.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm not sure if I will bother watching it if it's a love story, I thought it was a horror.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,984
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    I'm not sure if I will bother watching it if it's a love story, I thought it was a horror.

I'm the opposite! I'll watch it if it is a love story and not a horror.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You can watch it out the internet.

In very good quality too, but I'm waiting till it's on the big screen in November.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eduble wrote: »

It's most definitely not a horror.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The genre it belongs to is Science Fiction. If you want to add another to make a hybrid go ahead, it's definitely not Horror though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For those of you in America, it's avaliable to watch legally online via places like Amazon for the price of $10. Well it was from the 24th, don't know how long it lasts as a pre cinema release.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen it, in a cinema no less, and I think it's great, one of the best of the year for sure.

I can't imagine they'll try to market it as a horror movie in the UK, as it's got a bbfc 12A rating, which would spoil any image of horror they tried to project. It is not a horror film.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It's off Amazon now from what I can see.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The genre it belongs to is Science Fiction. If you want to add another to make a hybrid go ahead, it's definitely not Horror though.

Ok Cheers :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its quite good,it is more drama and suspense based,the creatures themselves get very little screentime,they aint pretty and there not to be messed with lol
  • Options
    MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,545
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Saw this earlier tonight at a preview screening at Glasgow GFT with a Q&A session afterwards with director Garth Edwards. The film won't be released till December, towards the end of December i think.

Really, really good film! Completely surprised me but definetely highly recommended. The title is slightly misleading. The film does contain 'monsters' (although in the movie they're always referred to as 'creatures') but the film isn't about them per say. The first 5 mins sets the movie up perfectly and you automatically think Cloverfield which the first 5 mins was but after that it's a completely different entity. It's basically a road movie about 2 people wanting to get home with a hint of romance set in the world of these monsters. But be warned, it's a slow burn.

You see bits and pieces of the monsters here and there but it's not until the last 10mins when you see them in all their glory and those last 10mins are very tense indeed! There are quite a few moments where you feel that but the film is more suspense than anything else. The special effects were amazing considering they were created by Garth Edwards and done on his computer. Really well done! And he took on quite a few roles during production i noticed during the credits - not just being the director.

I thought the movie was really well shot, great photography in some scenes. The 2 main actors were brilliant, especially the female. The male actor you might recognise from indie movie 'In Search of a Midnight Kiss'.

If anyone wants info on the Q&A let me know.
  • Options
    Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watched this movie on cable last week. We have a cable channel in the US called "HDNet Movies" that picks 2 movies a month that's about to be released in theaters. The movies they choose are usually films that will otherwise go unnoticed because they're small films (or foreign) that do not have the backings of a major stuido. They then preview the entire film for free on their channel - one night only. The idea of it is that word of mouth will give it the exposure it needs for people to look for it in theaters. Sometimes they sneak preview major A-list films as well before the released date. Anyway, I loved "Monsters". :)

I'm even more impressed when I found out that the film budget was $15,000. The director did a marvelous job because the movie looks expensive.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    I'm even more impressed when I found out that the film budget was $15,000. The director did a marvelous job because the movie looks expensive.

The budget for the film wasn't £15,000. He said for the equipment alone to shoot the movie it cost £15,000. At the Q&A after, he said the figure for the whole movie including equipment, wages, air travel, accommodation, petrol, etc came to a low 6 figures. So i'm guessing around £300,000 and under, possibly. He couldn't give a proper figure, he said he didn't really know to be honest.

He made a really great film though which looks like it cost a hell of a lot more.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I'm with Mr Super, fantastic film, especially considering how much it cost and how they made it. The budget is indeed in the £200,000/300,000 range. I read somewhere he mentioned £250,000.

Very very impressive. And it is a very slow burn. I think, unfortunately, a lot of people will be very disappointed thinking it's full of 'aliens' and so on.

Worth seeing though!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It seems to be getting good reviews, maybe I'll watch it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    I don't mean to sound snobbish here, but if you see this in a cinema then i recommend seeing it in a low key independant cinema where people who really want to watch it will see it. You just know that the Cineworlds, Odeons and VUEs will be full of obnoxious teenagers who think they're about to watch something action packed, and then they'll start mocking it loudly when they realise that it's not. I had that experience with 'Buried' and i wanted to strangle every last one of the loudmouth tw*ts ("he better get out of the coffin soon, cos this is shit!" *sigh*...).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CJClarke wrote: »
    I don't mean to sound snobbish here, but if you see this in a cinema then i recommend seeing it in a low key independant cinema where people who really want to watch it will see it. You just know that the Cineworlds, Odeons and VUEs will be full of obnoxious teenagers who think they're about to watch something action packed, and then they'll start mocking it loudly when they realise that it's not. I had that experience with 'Buried' and i wanted to strangle every last one of the loudmouth tw*ts ("he better get out of the coffin soon, cos this is shit!" *sigh*...).

Yip, i had that experience when i watched Buried for the first time when it was released on the Friday at Cineworld. Just full of kids who didn't understand and thought it was a comedy laughing at anything and everything. I saw Monsters at my local arthouse cinema, not a peep to be heard! Just the way i like it! :)
  • Options
    ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This has received a lot of stick for not actually being a monster movie but it's just about everything else: love story, road trip, travelogue.
    Two stranded Americans are trying to get from Mexico to the US. Sounds simple enough but the way is blocked by the Infected Zone, home to alien monsters which arrived via a crashed space probe six years earlier.
    Supposedly made for $15,000 dollars it looks very good with some stunning, if sparingly used, aliens and various scenes of wholesale destruction.
    A combination of District 9, Apocalypse Now and It Happened One Night that actually works. Hated in the US which is always a good sign.:)
  • Options
    treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    $15,000. Blimey, it looked like the trailer cost more than that to make.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It didn't cost that, it was in the region of £250,000. There are topics already on this film.