Options

Why do they pretend SCD is 'live' on a Sunday?

13»

Comments

• Options
    MrsRobinsonMrsRobinson Posts: 4,492
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have a look at on the BBC SCD Blog and on Wikipedia and it stated quite clearly both shows are recorded on the Saturday night.

By the time viewers hear Tess saying last night's show, it is the next night!
    But it isn't everyone who has a computer to look on the SCD blog or Wikipedia and I only started this topic because my MIL had 'assumed' that SCD took place on two evenings, especially listening to Tess, the judges and contestants, who talk about "last night's dances" and Tess and Alisha wearing different outfits too... so maybe a lot of other 'elderly' ish people possibly think the same.

It doesn't matter to me as I realise what happens but MIL had said that with the 'BBC's honesty is best' policy, that they would say at the start of the show that it has already been recorded! ;)
  • Options
    MusselmannMusselmann Posts: 106
    Forum Member
    I dont think there is any deception going on. They are just making a television programme and transmitting it to suit their own scheduduling desires.
    They have never covered up the fact that the results show is recorded on Saturday. It is common knowledge. Blogs, BBC websites and every newspaper covered it extensively when it was announced that Bruce would be going home early on a Saturday night.
    And if someones elderly parents dont realise - wheres the harm?
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But by Tess talking about 'last night's dances' etc on the Sunday show, she is thereby inferring that Saturday's programme was shown as it happened, on Saturday and making it appear the Sunday night show is on a different day... ie, happening on Sunday!:rolleyes:

But your missing the point here.You originally were complaining that they pretended the show was live.I'm saying that there is no indication given that they are pretending that the show is live.I could understand your point if the voice over at the start of the result show used the word "Live".All they are doing is pretending that the results show was recorded sometime on the Sunday before it' screened.

There is no reason to get upset over it.It's hardly a crime.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,126
    Forum Member
    Do they actually think they're fooling anyone apart from the kids?

I knew who a couple of people who genuinely thought the Sunday show was live.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    funci wrote: »
    Seems silly really. Everyone knows it's recorded so why go to the bother of changing outfits and scripting it as if the dances took place the previous day?

It's just yet more contempt for the viewer.

They think (or want to think) we're all stupid so they treat us as such. They might not outright state that it's live but there's really no need for any pretence at all other than to maybe justify splitting the main show and results show over two nights. Hopefully most people see right through it by this point.
  • Options
    Paully_CPaully_C Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    So by that argument, you'd like the guys who present the Christmas Top of the Pops not to say "Happy Christmas", but to say "We've recorded this on December 19th, so we just thought we'd let you know that and get in the way of the actual programme."?

I honestly don't think it's being deceitful or demeaning to the audience - it simply DOESN'T MATTER, in my humble opinion.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Winehouse wrote: »
    And where exactly does Bruce go? Do they put him on some kind of 'charger' in time for next week's show? :confused:

Matron doesn't like him being out too late, she likes to lock the doors. :sleep:
  • Options
    cookie_365cookie_365 Posts: 710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you think the BBC are bad at this sort of thing, ITV are worse.

For example, in the first episode of Downton Abbey, a subtitle appeared saying it was April 1912. Which is a total lie: why would they record it in 1912 but not broadcast it for another hundred years? I bet all the actors were complaining like mad about losing out on rebroadcast fees. And secondly, I tried to visit Downton Abbey but it's not mentioned on the National Trust website at all. I think they just made it all up.

The scoundrels :mad:
  • Options
    luckyladyluckylady Posts: 1,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cookie_365 wrote: »

For example, in the first episode of Downton Abbey, a subtitle appeared saying it was April 1912. Which is a total lie: why would they record it in 1912 but not broadcast it for another hundred years? I bet all the actors were complaining like mad about losing out on rebroadcast fees. And secondly, I tried to visit Downton Abbey but it's not mentioned on the National Trust website at all. I think they just made it all up.

:D:D:D

The BBC haven't lied!
    They have never said it is live . . . .
    Really don't know what everyone's problem is!! It's the 3rd year they have done it this way!! And the conspirasy theories are getting pretty boring IMO
  • Options
    gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cookie_365 wrote: »

Nice 1 :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 139
    Forum Member
    No one says it is live and no one pretends it is.
    It is so hard to get your head round the fact they film the result show after the live show?
    As this show is filmed the day before it is broadcast, of course they will refer to the live show as being 'yesterday' as it is for the viewers perspective.
    Would you prefer Tess to say "Len gave Scott a 10 on the show that was shown live on Saturday night -which for us was two hours ago but for you was yesterday as you are watching a recording of me filmed on Saturday night but which you are now watching on Sunday night?
    Trips off the tongue doesn't it?
    Is this naivety carried over to other shows - do you think one episode of The Weakest Link is recorded one day and then they come back the next day to record another etc?
    The naivety, when we have all been brought up with television, is laughable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    They do pretend it is a live show on Sunday by constantly referring to 'last night' and by the fact everyone changes their clothes. They don't actually lie up front about the show being live. However, for whatever reason, they have decided they'll show the results on Sunday and so their pretence is understandable as there would be as many people complaining about watching a show referring to 'earlier this evening' as now complain about them saying 'last night'. They couldn't win unless they went back to the totally honest situation of showing the results show live on Saturday which they did do at one time. But then, the program isn't exactly notable for its honesty with their 'in no particular order' results and their uniquely bizarre ranking system following the judges votes.
  • Options
    memmhmemmh Posts: 14,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They don't pretend it's live but they do take into account when it will be aired.
  • Options
    megashoppermegashopper Posts: 6,244
    Forum Member
    Not a big deal for me this. Don't know why people get upset about it. Seems silly.

It goes out on Sunday, we all know the result Saturday evening if we're interested. I still watch the show on Sunday and enjoy it.
  • Options
    streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The fib keeps the magic alive...or not. :D
  • Options
    soulmate61soulmate61 Posts: 6,176
    Forum Member
    The Saturday show is broadcast live (in actual time sequence except for pre-recorded pro dancers routine and singer segments), and anything can go wrong in real time. This adds a frisson if watched in real time.

The Sunday show is not broadcast live. Disasters if any can be replaced by retakes, and those who have attended Shepherds Bush can advise if retakes actually occurred.

Both live and recorded shows can be viewed on Iplayer on Monday, when all references to "tonight", "last night", "tomorrow night" become equally immaterial because both shows are understood to be recorded.

An issue arises only if you care about BBC misrepresenting by innuendo a recorded broadcast as live -- specifically in Strictly and generally as a precedent and habit to follow.
  • Options
    Gaz112Gaz112 Posts: 436
    Forum Member
    Retakes occurred in the recording for the Sunday show broadcast on 28th Oct.
  • Options
    BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was a bit worried about why I didn't remember posting all my replies on this thread - then I spotted it was two years ago and an old thread has been resurrected. Whew! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Not a big deal for me this. Don't know why people get upset about it. Seems silly.

It goes out on Sunday, we all know the result Saturday evening if we're interested. I still watch the show on Sunday and enjoy it.

Yes, exactly! I don't understand what all the fuss is about! It should be referred to in relation to when the shows are broadcast, not recorded. As long as they don't call it a live broadcast when it's not, or keep the phone lines open after the results have been recorded, then whats the problem. Personally I prefer to have the results show on a Sunday (and expect them to refer to Saturday's show as last night as that is when it was broadcast. I certainly don't feel like the BBC are trying to trick me into believing it is recorded on Sunday!)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Gaz112 wrote: »
    Retakes occurred in the recording for the Sunday show broadcast on 28th Oct.

Thanks Gaz112 for inside info.

Her Majesty was once shown posing for a photograph taken in Buckingham Palace. BBC showed:

Ma'am making an irritated remark to the photographer,
    Ma'am walking away implying but not saying she controversially walked out on the shoot -- newsworthy enough to make Six O'clock News.

In real life Ma'am was filmed walking towards the shoot.
    She then made an irritated remark.
    She then completed the shoot amicably.

After the hoopla screening of this clip on the Six O'clock News the Palace immediately tackled BBC for misrepresentation by editing.
    BBC was smart enough to immediately apologize and eat humble pie.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many of the typical viewers of Strictly Come Dancing would stay up late to watch the results? They might do so for the final but viewing figures would be lower and many would complain.

Lots of programmes are recorded and pretend to be live - chat shows regularly refer to "tonight" or "tomorrow" when that is not the actual case. The BBC are now paranoid over not deceiving the viewers about quite trivial things but it used to be very common, with late night news and weather recorded earlier in the evening. Year ago a live OB used by workplace as their base, many of the "live" shots had actually been recorded earlier in the day. Neatest I ever saw was the BBC South West evening news programme that would sometimes come "live" from various holiday resorts during the holiday season, all the "live" links were actually recorded during the day.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Strictly on Sunday cannot matter less.

The issue is a precedent forming a habit.
    If BBC can misrepresent Her Majesty with impunity then one day it can misrepresent you, yourself, personally.