Oscars winner who you think didn't deserve their statues

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need to watch that movie again to see that powerhouse of a performance
  • Rueben_ClaraRueben_Clara Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    This is probably a controversial post but I can't help but wonder if Halle Berry, Octavia Spencer and Monique, were handed their Oscars to make up for the past. Actresses such as Angela Bassett, Whoopi Goldberg who were brilliant in their respective roles in What's Love Got To Do With It and The Colour Purple, missed out. Now it seems as though playing a loud mouth supressed black woman is a shoe in to winning the gold. I agree with a previous post. Octavia Spencer's role in the Help was a character with the same attitude as every other role she has played. Not to say that it wasn't good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How the hell The Color Purple didnt win any awards is downright criminal.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This is probably a controversial post but I can't help but wonder if Halle Berry, Octavia Spencer and Monique, were handed their Oscars to make up for the past. Actresses such as Angela Bassett, Whoopi Goldberg who were brilliant in their respective roles in What's Love Got To Do With It and The Colour Purple, missed out. Now it seems as though playing a loud mouth supressed black woman is a shoe in to winning the gold. I agree with a previous post. Octavia Spencer's role in the Help was a character with the same attitude as every other role she has played. Not to say that it wasn't good.

I have to disagree to be honest regarding Mo'nique. This is a woman who normally does sitcoms and chat shows and Precious was a million miles away from anything she has ever done. Her character in Precious was a nasty piece of work who would beat her daughter and turn a blind eye to her husband raping her daughter.

But yes, i agree 100 per cent with the rest of your post.

I would say Viola Davis was much deserving for winning for The Help, much more than a lot of other black female performances.
  • GellymissGellymiss Posts: 1,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »
    It is not at all surprising, reading the very strange opinions shown in this thread, that people disagree about actors. Interesting that most of those who are 'undeserved' according to the OP are women.
    Halle Berry only got an award because she is mixed race? Kate Winslet was only in a supporting role in The Reader?
    Even Marisa Tomei gets moaned at, without any consideration of the fact that she was absolutely brilliant in that part, and funny. OK she had a good part, but she did it beautifully and nobody else was as good that year.
    Humphrey Bogart not deserving an Oscar is just the most plainly daft thing ever said.

Listen folks. Give your true real opinions instead of trawling the web and giving 'opinions' you have nicked from others.

I didn't moan; I stated Marisa Tomei's name. I felt at the time, and still do, that Miranda Richardson was robbed of the win in Damage. I like Marisa very much in grittier parts but that film was pure fluff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 422
    Forum Member
    PythonFang wrote: »
    Sandra Bullock absolutely. Terrible terrible terrible actress. I also didn't think much of George Clooney in Syriana.

Everyone sees things differently, I thought she was brilliant in The Blind Side, it's one of my favourite films.
    I won't hear a bad word said about George Clooney either :o
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I haven't stole any opinions from anyone, thank you very much

The fact that several of my opinions happen to be woman mean nothing by it.

Stop having a go at people for simply having a debate about something.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Listen, why don't you try respecting that people's opinions are different than yours? And that it's perfectly valid to hold an opinion thats been given somewhere else before :rolleyes:

And I do think Kate Winslet was more a Supporting Actress in The Reader, as I interpret the film as not being as much about her character as about Michael. The same could be said about many other parts, of course, but for me it wasn't a Lead Actress performance.

But each to their own, which you need to respect.

It is a bit disappointing to give an opinion and then get told I show disrespect for giving that opinion. As a fact, erxperts as shown by their membership of the Academy, considered Kate Winslet deserved an Oscar for best actress in a leading role. It is not exactly stupid for me to agree with them,, and it is on the face of it a bit stupid to say that she was not even in a leading role never mind not much cop as an actress. If you say soimething stupid, do not get all huffy when someone says it was stupid. It makes you look pathetic.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gellymiss wrote: »
    I didn't moan; I stated Marisa Tomei's name. I felt at the time, and still do, that Miranda Richardson was robbed of the win in Damage. I like Marisa very much in grittier parts but that film was pure fluff.

You are right about the film, it was not great, but it had the advantage of being funny which usually means not much in the way of awards. I haven't seen Damage but I will watch out foir it.
  • Rueben_ClaraRueben_Clara Posts: 186
    Forum Member
    I have to disagree to be honest regarding Mo'nique. This is a woman who normally does sitcoms and chat shows and Precious was a million miles away from anything she has ever done. Her character in Precious was a nasty piece of work who would beat her daughter and turn a blind eye to her husband raping her daughter.

But yes, i agree 100 per cent with the rest of your post.

I would say Viola Davis was much deserving for winning for The Help, much more than a lot of other black female performances.

I do think Monique was good in her role in Precious, you are right in saying that it was far different from any of her other roles. I agree that Viola Davis deserved the award than a lot of other black actresses. Whoopi should have won for The Colour Purple. Her role in Ghost, was funny but not award winning. It seems as though she was handed the award for Ghost for making up for not winning for the Colour Purple. There are a quite a few actresses and actors who have won for roles not considered their best after missing out with brilliant performances. Sean Penn, Kate Winslet and Martin Scorcese to name a few. Well director in Marty's case.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is a bit disappointing to give an opinion and then get told I show disrespect for giving that opinion. As a fact, erxperts as shown by their membership of the Academy, considered Kate Winslet deserved an Oscar for best actress in a leading role. It is not exactly stupid for me to agree with them,, and it is on the face of it a bit stupid to say that she was not even in a leading role never mind not much cop as an actress. If you say soimething stupid, do not get all huffy when someone says it was stupid. It makes you look pathetic.

I have to say, having read this and others posts you have made in this thread, the person looking pathetic at this moment is someone who's reflection you would see if you looked in the mirror....:o
  • Mystical123Mystical123 Posts: 15,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As a fact, erxperts as shown by their membership of the Academy, considered Kate Winslet deserved an Oscar for best actress in a leading role. It is not exactly stupid for me to agree with them,, and it is on the face of it a bit stupid to say that she was not even in a leading role never mind not much cop as an actress. If you say soimething stupid, do not get all huffy when someone says it was stupid. It makes you look pathetic.

Try re-reading my post, you've missed the point entirely, and yet again shown yourself seemingly incapable of respecting that others think differently from yourself. :rolleyes:

How it works is that the producers of each film decide which category their actors are to be submitted in. The Academy voters have no say in that.

I never said you were stupid for agreeing with them, in fact I said 'each to their own', but I do not have to agree that Kate Winslet was a lead actress in the Reader. Plenty of people agree with me as well, as has already been pointed out. There is no right or wrong. And stop putting words in my mouth as well, at no point did I say she 'wasn't much cop' as an actress - she's great in the Reader, but she's better in Revolutionary Road, which is what she should have won it for. That was my original point, which again you seem to have missed entirely.

Disagreeing doesn't make me stupid, it means I have a different opinion, one which you clearly don't know how to respect. If you're going to call me stupid again, you'll find yourself reported, as it's clearly against the T&Cs of this forum to belittle others, which is what you're doing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think Monique was good in her role in Precious, you are right in saying that it was far different from any of her other roles. I agree that Viola Davis deserved the award than a lot of other black actresses. Whoopi should have won for The Colour Purple. Her role in Ghost, was funny but not award winning. It seems as though she was handed the award for Ghost for making up for not winning for the Colour Purple. There are a quite a few actresses and actors who have won for roles not considered their best after missing out with brilliant performances. Sean Penn, Kate Winslet and Martin Scorcese to name a few. Well director in Marty's case.

I agree about Whoopi and yes they have given oscars to those who haven't been in their best performance. Judi Dench being another example. :)
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think sometimes the Academy Awards gives awards to actor or actresses that are due rather than the performance itself. This was the case with Al Pacino and 'Scent of a Woman'. I think he has delivered much better performance prior to that with 'Dog Day Afternoon' being a prime example.

An example that is direct to the question is Anthony Hopkins for 'The Silence of the Lambs' where he was in it for about 15 minutes and Sean Penn for 'Milk' when Mickey Rourke should have won for 'The Wrestler.'
  • marjanglesmarjangles Posts: 9,666
    Forum Member
    rfonzo wrote: »
    I think sometimes the Academy Awards gives awards to actor or actresses that are due rather than the performance itself. This was the case with Al Pacino and 'Scent of a Woman'. I think he has delivered much better performance prior to that with 'Dog Day Afternoon' being a prime example.

An example that is direct to the question is Anthony Hopkins for 'The Silence of the Lambs' where he was in it for about 15 minutes and Sean Penn for 'Milk' when Mickey Rourke should have won for 'The Wrestler.'

I really honestly cannot understand any of the love for Mickey Rourke in that film. I thought it was awful and I didn't think his performance was particularly good by his own standards let alone those of his peers nominated.
  • rfonzorfonzo Posts: 11,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »
    I really honestly cannot understand any of the love for Mickey Rourke in that film. I thought it was awful and I didn't think his performance was particularly good by his own standards let alone those of his peers nominated.

I thought he was very good in it as you could see the physical and emotional pain of a man who has to come to terms with his regrets that he can no longer participate in the thing he is most passionate about as well as the regrets he has for being responsible for the estranged relationship he has with his daughter.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marjangles wrote: »

Personally, I thought Penn was sublime in Milk. I thought Rourke delivered a very intimate, personal and surprising performance in The Wrestler, but I think the oscar went to the right person.
  • stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    Tom Hanks - Philadelphia

Yep, absolutely. Of all of the male lead performances from that year(1993), I think it should have been Anthony Hopkins for 'Remains of the Day'. His silent butler performance was amazing. A truly great performance.

Ironically, Hanks won the following year as well(for Forest Gump). I think one of Hanks' best performances was in 'Big'. As a comedy performance that was very good. Comedy is perhaps harder than drama, and sadly it doesn't seem to get that much Oscar recognition(only Diane Keaton for 'Annie Hall' and Frances McDormand for 'Fargo' spring to mind).
  • scatcatcathyscatcatcathy Posts: 2,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Al Pacino- scent of a woman,shouldve gone to Robert Downey Jnr-Chaplin.
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tommy Lee Jones [The Fugitive]. The oscar should have gone to Ralph Fiennes [Schindler's List]

Halle Berry's win was peculiar.

The film 'Crash' winning anything. I found it very corny.
  • dofferdoffer Posts: 2,746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrMarple wrote: »
    I disagree.
    I think this is the best comedy performance from the last 25 years. She was fantastic in the role. She stole every scene she appeared in IMO.
    The film would have been nothing without her.

I couldn't agree more!
  • sleepybellesleepybelle Posts: 177
    Forum Member
    Liam Neeson was absolutely robbed that year. Hanks only won because of the subject matter of his movie and as Schindler's List was so much better I think the Academy thought that they better throw Philadelphia a bone and picked Hanks over Neeson. I also think Denzel Washington would have made a better Best Actor nomination for Philadelphia as Hanks did little more than be thin and cough feebly throughout.

So true
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judi Dench - Shakespeare In Love

Meryl Streep - Kramer vs Kramer (Little Justin Henry - Billy Kramer should have won instead :))
  • Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Tom Hanks - Forrest Gump

For Forrest Gump to win Best Director, Best Actor and Best MOvie (plus another three) in a year which included films like The Shawshank Redemption, Pulp Fiction and The Madness of King George just shows how utterly wrong the Academy can get it IMO

It was a terrible movie
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,252
    Forum Member
    Al Pacino- scent of a woman,shouldve gone to Robert Downey Jnr-Chaplin.

I know but that was because they f**ked up so many other times when he didn't win for Scarface, Dog Day Afternoon, The Godfather etc.....