Options

What is The Cheapest/Best Service That Provides Widest Catalogue of Films?

StykerStyker Posts: 49,863
Forum Member
In your view and experiences, what/who do you think provides the cheapest but best and widest range of films both new films and old films (of any decade too btw) and I'm asking about legal services here.

I'm asking as I'm about to lose my subscription to the Sky Movie channels but I would still like to have an alternative to switch to with the widest choice at the cheapest price.

What would you recommend? Thanks in advance of your replies.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoveFilm is good.

As for rare, cult and deleted films [ which I like ] many never made it to a DVD release.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVD/Bluray

I wouldn't go for streaming services or other online/download means because it doesn't feel like you own them whereas if you have a physical copy you always own it unless you give it to someone else.
  • Options
    MichellerlzMichellerlz Posts: 538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Netflix ?
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    Cex, recycle recycle
  • Options
    Red ArrowRed Arrow Posts: 10,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVD/Bluray

I wouldn't go for streaming services or other online/download means because it doesn't feel like you own them whereas if you have a physical copy you always own it unless you give it to someone else.

I used to feel like that too. But after moving house/flat 5 times over the last 7 years I hate having them now. It's amazing the number of boxes required and there weight when you have to transport 800+ DVD's.

When I moved into the current house I looked at the collection and I would say around 80% of them have only been watched once. Waste of money now.

Anyway, Styker, for new films I would say NowTV. As it's basically Sky Movies and they always get the newest films first. For older films it would have to be Netflix. But to be honest we watch less and less films on Netflix and more of there great original shows.
  • Options
    Dalekbuster523Dalekbuster523 Posts: 4,596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cex, recycle recycle

Yeah, Cex is great. Just don't say it as 'Sex' out loud whilst two teenage girls just happen to walk past. ;-)
  • Options
    PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    An MXQ smart TV box. Couldn't recommend enough. Only costs £35 off of Amazon and couldn't be without it. It has EVERYTHING.... you can live stream sky channels through it (boyfriend loves it for cricket and BT sports - BT being especially handy as all champions league football is being shown on BT as of next year). Has every channel in the world and every movie you can think of. You need a decent wifi connection but if you've got that you're laughing. I just finished watching Jurassic World on it and the picture is crystal clear.

We've actually cancelled our Sky subscription because it's been made redundant!
  • Options
    PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The sad fact is, the non-legal options have the absolute best & widest selection of films.

All of the legal paid alternatives are tied up in rights & distribution issues, which does limit their selection somewhat. As already suggested, Netflix or Amazon Prime would be your best bet.
  • Options
    Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Netflix with a subscription to Un-Block US you get access to all the NF regions for about £9.00 a month, much better than Sky as you get a lot of the movies maybe 6 months before Sky.

It takes about a 6 months to a year of not watching Sky to start to see the real benefit, as a lot of American TV shows are shown within days of being broadcast in America are shown on Sky. So if you can avoid them for a year on Sky, then your good to go on NF
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,102
    Forum Member
    Netflix with a subscription to Un-Block US you get access to all the NF regions for about £9.00 a month, much better than Sky as you get a lot of the movies maybe 6 months before Sky.

It takes about a 6 months to a year of not watching Sky to start to see the real benefit, as a lot of American TV shows are shown within days of being broadcast in America are shown on Sky. So if you can avoid them for a year on Sky, then your good to go on NF

Or just £7.20 if you use Ad-Freetime like I do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thanks for all the replies so far everyone. I should have mentioned that I am subscribed to Netfilix but I find their film choices a bit limited.

With regard to Now TV, would I need to buy a set top box for that? I know I could look that up and will but have a few things to do right now.

I am thinking of either going back to Love Film or use Amazon Instant Video as that will give me the option of watching and paying for films as I get the time to watch them.

If Love Film have a wider choice than both Amazon prime and Instant video, then I might go back to them. Do Love film have the option of watching online as well still and if they do, can I stream it to my smart TV? I haven't noticed a Love film app though on the TV.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »
    Thanks for all the replies so far everyone. I should have mentioned that I am subscribed to Netfilix but I find their film choices a bit limited.

With regard to Now TV, would I need to buy a set top box for that? I know I could look that up and will but have a few things to do right now.

I am thinking of either going back to Love Film or use Amazon Instant Video as that will give me the option of watching and paying for films as I get the time to watch them.

If Love Film have a wider choice than both Amazon prime and Instant video, then I might go back to them. Do Love film have the option of watching online as well still and if they do, can I stream it to my smart TV? I haven't noticed a Love film app though on the TV.

Aren't Lovefilm and Amazon Prime the same thing now are they two separate pay models? Haven't properly used Lovefilm/Amazon since it all changed.
    You say your a Netflix sub, do you also use a DNS? There is a massive variety when adding all the regions together and somethings that are exclusive to Amazon can be found on other regions e.g. Vikings, Hannibal. Plus pretty recent films can be found on there too if you look around.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoveFilm no longer exist they have been replaced by amazon you have two choices the Prime service currently on offer at 59 a year for streaming only. I used to have love film, it was great but hate the Amazon service. The selection of new films are poor, the interface is horrible. you find a film you like only to find it is not one of the free ones you have to rent it.

Rental by post only is 7.99 a month but offers a wider selection. The problem is they removed games from the service and you can only get 2 at 7.99 before you had options for more discs. The service is good and they have a large catalogue.

Netflix.
    Is 5.99 a month for streaming only. The selection of films is not bad but again a delay with new films. They seem to have a better TV content with often unique shows like the very good black sails. I was also impressed with the quality of the streams.

Now TV
    Is 9.99 it did seem to contain more of the new movies but the back catalogue was far more limited in my view. I found after a few months I had little to watch and with only a few new films added each month the value was not worth it. I also had a lot of issues with the quality of the streaming. However I should add this was over a year ago and the service was quite new.

cinemaparadiso
    Is a rental by post company. At 6.98 starting point to can choose to rent more or less discs at different price ranges. what makes the service slight unique is their focus on the back catalogue. you are more likely to find the classic movies or cult movies among the selection. However they do also like the other rental services have the current movies releases.
  • Options
    PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Or my earlier suggestion which is a one off payment of £35 and has all the films, TV programmes and more than the above. Lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member

JEFF62 wrote: »
    Or just £7.20 if you use Ad-Freetime like I do.

I haven't seen any options to add or pay for those add ons, where would I find them? p.s. Just done a search on the us unblock one, is it legal?
    St_Jammy wrote: »
    Aren't Lovefilm and Amazon Prime the same thing now are they two separate pay models? Haven't properly used Lovefilm/Amazon since it all changed.
    You say your a Netflix sub, do you also use a DNS? There is a massive variety when adding all the regions together and somethings that are exclusive to Amazon can be found on other regions e.g. Vikings, Hannibal. Plus pretty recent films can be found on there too if you look around.

RE BIB, DNS, no, wouldn't know how to, to be honest. My abilities re computers are pretty average.
    Bluescope wrote: »
    LoveFilm no longer exist they have been replaced by amazon you have two choices the Prime service currently on offer at 59 a year for streaming only. I used to have love film, it was great but hate the Amazon service. The selection of new films are poor, the interface is horrible. you find a film you like only to find it is not one of the free ones you have to rent it.

Rental by post only is 7.99 a month but offers a wider selection. The problem is they removed games from the service and you can only get 2 at 7.99 before you had options for more discs. The service is good and they have a large catalogue.

Netflix.
    Is 5.99 a month for streaming only. The selection of films is not bad but again a delay with new films. They seem to have a better TV content with often unique shows like the very good black sails. I was also impressed with the quality of the streams.

Now TV
    Is 9.99 it did seem to contain more of the new movies but the back catalogue was far more limited in my view. I found after a few months I had little to watch and with only a few new films added each month the value was not worth it. I also had a lot of issues with the quality of the streaming. However I should add this was over a year ago and the service was quite new.

cinemaparadiso
    Is a rental by post company. At 6.98 starting point to can choose to rent more or less discs at different price ranges. what makes the service slight unique is their focus on the back catalogue. you are more likely to find the classic movies or cult movies among the selection. However they do also like the other rental services have the current movies releases.

Re Love Film, I had a look at Amazons website and I'm getting the impression that if someone subscribes to Lovefilm, they get the option to watch films via Prime too and or someone subscribes to Prime Instant Video and then pays another £1 to get fils sent in the post which might not be available on streaming without paying a extra rental charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For DNS I use Unblock-US it may look confusing to begin with but its really simple to set up and use. There are others out there and different people will prefer different ones but they all pretty much do the same thing.

It's not illegal to use though it does technically break Netflix t&c but they don't seem to be bothered by it and as far as I know no ones ever lost their account over it. I've used it for 3/4 years and never had a problem.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Re Love Film, I had a look at Amazons website and I'm getting the impression that if someone subscribes to Lovefilm, they get the option to watch films via Prime too and or someone subscribes to Prime Instant Video and then pays another £1 to get fils sent in the post which might not be available on streaming without paying a extra rental charge.

Note sure what you are looking at. I stand to be corrected if I have the information wrong it may have changed.

Amazon's Lovefilm is a post only service it is 7.99 on its own or 6.99 if you are a prime service owner. Their is no streaming at all with this service only if you have prime.

The prime service is normally 79.99 a yeat but until july 8th on sale for 59.99 a year. This does not include any by post rental that as above is 6.99 extra a month.

What you might have seen is some old information when they transferred accounts from Love Film to Amazon if you bought a prime account they did a special offer to get the post service for 1 pound extra. However that expired years ago and was never open to new members.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    For DNS I use Unblock-US it may look confusing to begin with but its really simple to set up and use. There are others out there and different people will prefer different ones but they all pretty much do the same thing.

It's not illegal to use though it does technically break Netflix t&c but they don't seem to be bothered by it and as far as I know no ones ever lost their account over it. I've used it for 3/4 years and never had a problem.

So if I was to use this Unblock service, I could get more films/programmes from my existing Netflix subscription or would I have to do other things too?
  • Options
    gulliverfoylegulliverfoyle Posts: 6,318
    Forum Member
    bittorrent
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Bluescope wrote: »
    Note sure what you are looking at. I stand to be corrected if I have the information wrong it may have changed.

Amazon's Lovefilm is a post only service it is 7.99 on its own or 6.99 if you are a prime service owner. Their is no streaming at all with this service only if you have prime.

The prime service is normally 79.99 a yeat but until july 8th on sale for 59.99 a year. This does not include any by post rental that as above is 6.99 extra a month.

What you might have seen is some old information when they transferred accounts from Love Film to Amazon if you bought a prime account they did a special offer to get the post service for 1 pound extra. However that expired years ago and was never open to new members.

On Amazons website, (if you sign in) it says Prime £6.99 and then the next option says Add Love Film - £7.99. I'm assuming that means if someone goes for the LF option, they can get the streaming option too. I'll check it with Amazon in a few days when my Sky Movies subscription ends.

If Love Film only is rental only then I might just pay as I watch with the Instant Video option as its not often I get time to watch films but if I do then I'll probably subscribe to Prime as well. Sky's £80 plus charge to be able to get movies/sports is just too high and I think their lower packages are too high too and aren't worth it for me as I don't get enough time to watch as much as I'd like.
  • Options
    Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Viooz
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So if I was to use this Unblock service, I could get more films/programmes from my existing Netflix subscription or would I have to do other things too?

Once it's all set up all you do is go to the website, there is a drop down list of all the different regions, select the one you want and click update. Then when you load up Netflix it will show that regions library. Really easy to switch and you can do it as much as you want.

If you use a DNS a good site to use in tandem is flixsearch.io you can search films and shows and it will tell you if its on Netflix and what regions they are on.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member
    Legal mix of Film 4 and S/H DVDs

Not so legal TPB
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Once it's all set up all you do is go to the website, there is a drop down list of all the different regions, select the one you want and click update. Then when you load up Netflix it will show that regions library. Really easy to switch and you can do it as much as you want.

If you use a DNS a good site to use in tandem is flixsearch.io you can search films and shows and it will tell you if its on Netflix and what regions they are on.

Do you know if you can get access to HBO/Showtime Boxing? Major fights? What about paying via banks/cards here? They ok with it, not ilegal either?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you know if you can get access to HBO/Showtime Boxing? Major fights? What about paying via banks/cards here? They ok with it, not ilegal either?

I think you can access those things but don't quote me on it as I've never tried. I also imagine there might be additional steps if they are American services so I'd imagine you'd need American info to be able to register with them, it all depends on what your trying to access. Paying for the actually DNS there's no problems with payments.