Options

Israel/Palestine - who actually gives a damn anymore?

Comments

• Options
    CXC3000CXC3000 Posts: 10,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AVTalk wrote: »
    Around a million people marched through the streets of London to protest at our own government going into Iraq.

What did that achieve? Absolutely f**k all.

Does anyone really think a few thousand people marching in London trying to tell the Israeli government what to do will have any effect on anything whatsoever?

No, but it'll show the world exactly what kind of people the Israelis are.

The ones that support their government's murderous actions in Gaza.

Oh, and just heard, 3 children have been killed by an Israeli missile strike.

I wonder if the supporters of the IDF are rejoicing right about now ?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just a question here if anyone has the exact numbers. How many attacks did Israel sustain in 2008 and how many were killed?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well there is lies the problem with much of the world, Apathy! People can turn on the television, see this incredible violence and just act as if "so what, it's not happening here." GOOD GOD, it's frightening isn't it?

How can you read this and not care???

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSLS69391620090102?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

From the above link :
    Israel pressed on relentlessly with more than 30 air strikes, one of which killed three Palestinian children aged between eight and 12 as they played on a street near the town of Khan Yunis in the south of the Strip.

One was decapitated.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    Ameri wrote: »
    I care, as do many, many people.

There will be a national demonstration in London tomorrow, Saturday, January 3rd, assembling 12.30 pm Embankment

Here are more details:

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/

Will you be demonstrating in Gaza to stop the rockets?
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well there is lies the problem with much of the world, Apathy! People can turn on the television, see this incredible violence and just act as if "so what, it's not happening here." GOOD GOD, it's frightening isn't it?

How can you read this and not care???

http://www.reuters.com/article/topNews/idUSLS69391620090102?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

I care. I care about how many bombs Israel are dropping on Gaza; evidently not enough. Hamas are still promising terrorist attacks, and must be stopped. If that means hitting the occupying masses on the Gaza strip with more firepower, then the onus is on Hamas to get a heart and stop their terrorist ways. Israel are defending their territory and citizens from terrorists who are using some hypothetical, non-existent state called "Palestine" to justify murder and terrorism.

My problem is with idiot students who think if they scream like petulant children at the government long enough, we'll go in and sort it out with some non-violent mediation and, because everyone's "basically good," Hamas and Israel will just quietly put their weapons down and make friends. Reality is not like that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggertiny wrote: »
    Will you be demonstrating in Gaza to stop the rockets?

Israeli rockets ?

Absolutely.
  • Options
    AZZURRI 06AZZURRI 06 Posts: 11,173
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with the whole Israel/Gaza thing is that most people who take an interest are biased, which is fair enough but it will not move the day of peace one day closer. I think there are lessons to be learnt from northern Ireland, where passions were every bit as inflamed. Only a recognition that the other side are human will bring an end to the horror of war. Israel are militarily stronger than Hamas but each side is morally equal because they hold their differing views for a reason.
  • Options
    tiggertinytiggertiny Posts: 5,361
    Forum Member
    CXC3000 wrote: »
    Israeli rockets ?

Absolutely.

When the Hamas terrorists finally realise that they are on a loser - and they are so stupid and filled with hate that may take some time - with luck there won't be many of them left to worry about.

And all those "innocent" civilians who voted for Hamas and to support Hamas firing rockets at Israel will be able to say to themselves "we were a bunch of tossers weren't we". :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,193
    Forum Member
    Even if you don't give a damn about the people Palestine, you should worry about what other people think - after all 7/7 was committed by people with a perceived grievance with the UK
  • Options
    daniel hallidaydaniel halliday Posts: 863
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Even if you don't give a damn about the people Palestine, you should worry about what other people think - after all 7/7 was committed by people with a perceived grievance with the UK

granted by people who had/have a perceived grievance all because a labour government took this country into a war no one wanted, we became the targets because of one prime ministers desire to get his name in the history books, if we had a government that had the balls to say if its not concerning a british dependancy or this country then we don't care a jot then we would not be a target for every mad mullah and walking terrorist scumbag,
  • Options
    gwynnegwynne Posts: 721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    we were talking earlier and the oh said why should we care?, let them reduce each other to martyrs,neither side wants peace so just let them get on with it, now i thought that was an isolated opinion but i have heard similar sentiments from friends,family ect who feel that this countries problems are what is important, not the actions of two countries full of idiots who wish to cause WW3 and drag everyone into it,

sick of the overkill on the news also, i am more interested in hearing the scum who killed that kid in london have been locked up than something i don't even lose sleep over,

Have you ever wonderd why,in spite of all their problems,the incredibly rich Arab Oil States do nothing to help the Palestinians?
    The fact is it suits the Arab world to have this constant conflict betweeen the Israelis and Palestinians!
    Same situation when it comes to helping countries cope with Natural Disasters-it's always the hated Infidells who are first in with aid i.e the Americans-not a bloody Arab in sight-never is!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,193
    Forum Member
    granted by people who had/have a perceived grievance all because a labour government took this country into a war no one wanted, we became the targets because of one prime ministers desire to get his name in the history books, if we had a government that had the balls to say if its not concerning a british dependancy or this country then we don't care a jot then we would not be a target for every mad mullah and walking terrorist scumbag,
    7/7 was able to happen is that it's now very cheap to commit mass murder and you don't need an extensive group of people to commit mass murder - in the US mass murder only requires one man, a gun and a box of bullets.

So you could get 7/7 incidents occurring because one person is sufficiently motivated to commit mass murder
  • Options
    BinnmanBinnman Posts: 4,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ameri wrote: »
    I care, as do many, many people.

There will be a national demonstration in London tomorrow, Saturday, January 3rd, assembling 12.30 pm Embankment

Here are more details:

http://www.stopwar.org.uk/

Brilliant, just fcuking brilliant!!! :rolleyes:

This country is on the verge of financial collapse and the taxpayers are going to have to fork out money for Police and Ambulance coverage for your day out :mad:

If you want to demonstrate, then beggar off to Gaza or Israel and do it.

We've got enough problems of our own at the moment, without you lot adding to them.

Binnman
  • Options
    richcleverrichclever Posts: 12,740
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How does a bunch of rich-kid students screaming "outrage" outside Whitehall help anybody? Maybe me and Malice Cooper can strike one down for common sense and help the good people of London get a good night-sleep and a happy day free of disruption by getting you lot to stop your stupid hippy antics.

Dear me, isn't it sad that people can't have a reasoned discussion without resorting to insults.

Can't get to London tomorrow but if I could I would be out there just like I was in Rome with the Anti Iraq war protest.

The unwillingness and downright hostility against demonstrating about something you feel strongly about just shows how apathetic this country has become.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,967
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Binnman wrote: »

This country is on the verge of financial collapse and the taxpayers are going to have to fork out money for Police and Ambulance coverage for your day out :mad:

We've got enough problems of our own at the moment, without you lot adding to them.

Binnman

Why don't you **** **** ******, it will lower your blood pressure! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    richclever wrote: »
    Dear me, isn't it sad that people can't have a reasoned discussion without resorting to insults.

Can't get to London tomorrow but if I could I would be out there just like I was in Rome with the Anti Iraq war protest.

The unwillingness and downright hostility against demonstrating about something you feel strongly about just shows how apathetic this country has become.

Perhaps you can tell me exactly what such demonstrations are going to achieve?

Other than costing London's Taxpayers money and buggering up traffic flow, what has any demonstration ever achieved.

Binnman
  • Options
    Fairbairn SykesFairbairn Sykes Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The European's obsession with Israel is fairly easy to explain. The Jewish population has dwindled and is small compared to the massive immigration of Muslims.

Governments need votes and thus Muslim votes need to be courted - aside from the fact that European governments have to be wary of terrorism from their new immigrants.

Coupled with the increase in numbers of the left wing who have become political bedfellows of Muslims in their war against the US/Israel and to some extent the UK - this is why there seems to be so much attention towards this conflict - when many more are dying in Sudan, Chad, Somalia and even India.

The funny thing is that the European's obsession with Jews/Israel now manifests itself in their attempts to remove Jews from their ancestral home land - I say it's funny, because 60 years ago the graffiti in Europe read "Jews go home, go to Palestine".

Europeans chased them out of Israel, then out of Europe back into Israel - now they want them out of Israel again.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps you can tell me exactly what such demonstrations are going to achieve?

Other than costing London's Taxpayers money and buggering up traffic flow, what has any demonstration ever achieved.

Binnman

These demonstrations show that people do care about what is happening. It shows the world that people from all backgrounds can come together and share a common voice on something they believe in.

If you can't see the good that this can do then I am afraid the future of humanity is bleak. I am not so naive to think that Israel will see the demonstrators in London tomorrow and give up bombing Gaza. I didn't expect that by participating along with 3 million others in Rome that The US and UK etc. would stop the illegal invasion of Iraq. I did feel it was important to show that these things were not being done in my name - as the Italian pop stars Jovanotti, Ligabue and Piero Pelu said 'In mio nome e mai piu' (Not in my name).

The suffragettes protested. Did their protests go unheard? No!

We live in a democracy, therefore have the right to demonstrate about things. If you really want to live in a dictatorship where people don't have that right than go ahead. However I will demonstrate against this with all my might and voice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I have nothing against people protesting, but a few years back I had the misfortune to encouter a similiar thing.

A bunch of thugs were protesting outside a football stadium because there was an under 18 Israeli team playing.

If you did not agree with them insults and abuse was hurled
    it resembled some despotic thirld world rabble.

I would also have more respect for these demos if both sides were condemed and not the usual Israel bashing brigade :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These demonstrations show that people do care about what is happening. It shows the world that people from all backgrounds can come together and share a common voice on something they believe in.

If you can't see the good that this can do then I am afraid the future of humanity is bleak. I am not so naive to think that Israel will see the demonstrators in London tomorrow and give up bombing Gaza. I didn't expect that by participating along with 3 million others in Rome that The US and UK etc. would stop the illegal invasion of Iraq. I did feel it was important to show that these things were not being done in my name - as the Italian pop stars Jovanotti, Ligabue and Piero Pelu said 'In mio nome e mai piu' (Not in my name).

The suffragettes protested. Did their protests go unheard? No!

We live in a democracy, therefore have the right to demonstrate about things. If you really want to live in a dictatorship where people don't have that right than go ahead. However I will demonstrate against this with all my might and voice.

But you're missing the point a wee bit.

The Suffragettes demonstrated in this country on conditions in this country.

Now if you really are hoping to achieve something, then go and demonstrate in Tel Aviv.

All this wee jolly tomorrow will achive, is to overstretch Police/Ambulance manpower and cost money.

In other words, it'll achieve the square root of sod all.

Binnman
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But you're missing the point a wee bit.

The Suffragettes demonstrated in this country on conditions in this country.

Now if you really are hoping to achieve something, then go and demonstrate in Tel Aviv.

All this wee jolly tomorrow will achive, is to overstretch Police/Ambulance manpower and cost money.

In other words, it'll achieve the square root of sod all.

Binnman

Sorry, but I think it may be you that is missing the point. Yes, the suffragettes were in the UK and this is not. But what you have to remember is that this concerns all of us because of how the world works now. As we have seen over the last ten years in particular, what happens in the middle East does have a direct influence on events in Europe etc.

Also the fact that we have played a large part in the creation of the problem in the first place. We have messed around in the Middle east for a long time, creating despots on both sides then turning against them as it pleases us. This has led to a wide ranging animosity towards the west that has lead to violence and death.

That is why it is important to demonstrate if we feel strongly about what is happening. To have such a blinkered view of world events that you think it doesn't concern you is sad.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why no demonstations against Hamas suicide/rocket attacks?

Binnman
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,973
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Binnman

Thats the attitude I hate. There are valid reasons for supporting Israel and supporting Palestine, but then there are the people who don't care about anything that doesn't affect them. If you are so concerned about Ambulance and Policing costs, volunteer with the police or join St. Johns Ambulance and help out at other events to make up for it. Bear in mind you won't get paid for it so I don't suppose you are remotely interested.

I'm sure there are protests against Hamas, but there attacks are so minor compared to Israels, they aren't going to attract as many people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why no demonstations against Hamas suicide/rocket attacks?

Binnman

If people want to demonstrate about Hamas then they have every right. I certainly won't stop them. That's the beauty of living in a democracy, we all have the right to our say. Life would be a very boring thing if we all agreed.