Saddest death in a movie

rybevrybev Posts: 1,900
Forum Member
✭✭✭
My choice would be Marge in Jaws 2. She's the quiet girl who looks after young Sean Brody, she throws herself in the water to push Sean back onto the boat after falling in. She struggles to get herself back on, we then see the shark rise from behind and pull back down with Marge nowhere to be seen - presumed swallowed whole.

It shocks and disturbs me every time I see it, she's one of those characters that seems so innocent and likable. The music is suitably dramatic.

Comments

• treefr0gtreefr0g Posts: 23,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good subject.

I would have to say without a doubt, Spartacus.

To see his wife and child when about to die and not to be able to be with them was beyond tragic for me.

I find it very hard to watch.
  • billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    The lift shaft death in the Poisidon remake always upsets me Richard dreyfuss has to kick the young chef lad off his leg too his death in order for dreyfuss to be light enough to be pulled out of the shaft as the lift comes crashing down:(
  • warszawawarszawa Posts: 4,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    the kid's dad in the road.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sonny getting shot in The Godfather - it made an impression on me when I first saw it because he was such a sparky character.
    Also James Cagney in Angels with Dirty Faces - I actually can't bear to watch that scene....I don't know if that means it's not having the right effect on me, or not? Anyhow, it's another that really has an effect on me.
  • mialiciousmialicious Posts: 4,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bambi's mum
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 40
    Forum Member
    My DVD player during The Way Back. Absolutely tragic.
  • PCBHPCBH Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    The Champ (John Voight) in 'The Champ'... :(
  • Lorelei LaFleurLorelei LaFleur Posts: 4,504
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brad Pitt as Paul Maclean in 'A River Runs Through It'
    Kills me.
  • thedarklordthedarklord Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fredo's death in The Godfather Part II. You really feel for the poor guy and at the same time despise the ruthlesness of Michael Corleone.
  • trec123trec123 Posts: 4,419
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PCBH wrote: »

Yep - I wept buckets over that one, too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Marley in marley and me.

The end of that film had me sobbing for ages.

You really have to be a dog owner to truly appeciate it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,305
    Forum Member
    John Coffey in The Green Mile

Spock in Star Trek II
  • richie4evarichie4eva Posts: 217,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mr. Spock dying from radiation poisoning

Anakin Skywalker when he sacrificed himself to save his son from being killed by the Emperor

Rachel getting blown to bits in The Dark Knight
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    CJClarke wrote: »

Spock in Star Trek II

The bagpipe piece still sends a shiver down my spine!! Shatners acting was awesome.

I'll go for Debra Winger in Terms of endearment
  • the power kingthe power king Posts: 895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Rocky 3 When his Manger Dies :(:cry:
  • bexmil89bexmil89 Posts: 4,928
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marley in marley and me.

The end of that film had me sobbing for ages.

You really have to be a dog owner to truly appeciate it.

Totally agree, I wept when I read the book and sobbed when I watched the film, really sad ending
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lower-class people in Titanic, especially the mother tucking her children into bed as she resigns herself to their fate, and the woman with a baby, asking where she should go, only to be ignored. It's even worse because this kind of stuff actually happened :(

Littlefoot's mother in The Land Before Time, very reminiscent of Bambi. "Mother! Mother!" :(
  • odie30odie30 Posts: 1,129
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also James Cagney in Angels with Dirty Faces - I actually can't bear to watch that scene....I don't know if that means it's not having the right effect on me, or not? Anyhow, it's another that really has an effect on me.[/QUOTE]

i feel the same way i had nightmares for ages after it has more effect because its the sound as he is taken away:cry:
  • Charcole911Charcole911 Posts: 6,353
    Forum Member

Littlefoot's mother in The Land Before Time, :(

Was about to post that it really is the saddest thing ever in a film. Also the snowman when it melts.

The original "The Incredible journey" when the eldest dog didn't make it back. Was so glad they changed that ending for the remake!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member
    Terms of Endearment, can't even bear to think about it really.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any suicide scene, really. The most memorable ones: Blue Spring, Elephant Man, Full Metal Jacket, The Shawshank Redemption, I Run All Night, Dead Poets Society and Once Were Warriors. Edited: Walkabout. That was the first sledgehammer.

If that's a cheat, then the death of a sibling in Nobody Knows (dare mo shiranai).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Selma Jezkova (Bjork) in Dancer in the Dark.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That was the first death I ever saw in a film and I bawled my eyes out, I was only young when I saw it as well.

When the horse drowed in the Neverending Story, my mam took me to see it at the cinema and I was totally distraught.
  • AzagothAzagoth Posts: 10,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hazel in Watership Down.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,583
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The lower-class people in Titanic, especially the mother tucking her children into bed as she resigns herself to their fate, and the woman with a baby, asking where she should go, only to be ignored. It's even worse because this kind of stuff actually happened :(

Littlefoot's mother in The Land Before Time, very reminiscent of Bambi. "Mother! Mother!" :(

Oh god yes, those as well.