Newcastle United Supporters Thread 2011-12 Season

lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I thought it was time to start the thread for the new season, what with the new fixtures out and pre season getting into gear.

The players are starting to get back to work. Contracts are being negotiated (in some cases obviously not) and the players will soon be jetting off to the states to get some match fitness.

Manager Pardew was on the air last night in an attempt to "clear up some fears" but has he done enough to ease those fears before the start of the season?

Where do you think we can finish? Is it about consolidating again after potentially losing all our best stars from the season gone by or can we step up again and nail down a top 10 place?

Comments

• hallchallc Posts: 199,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    He didn`t sound convincing about Jose, I guess it will come down to Mr Ashley who comes and goes.

Need Barton to stay, looking forward to Ben Arfur to have a good season. The mid-field looks OK but a top striker is needed , Ranger just has not come on enough ...
  • lordOfTimelordOfTime Posts: 22,267
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallc wrote: »
    He didn`t sound convincing about Jose, I guess it will come down to Mr Ashley who comes and goes.

Need Barton to stay, looking forward to Ben Arfur to have a good season. The mid-field looks OK but a top striker is needed , Ranger just has not come on enough ...

I agree about Ranger. And it's a shame because he looked so exciting. We're missing out on all our striker targets though. Yea we've brought Ba in but if we're getting rid of likes of Best who was actually pretty decent last year its a little worrying.
  • BigBmadBigBmad Posts: 18,258
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    hallc wrote: »

With Jose I feel he just wants champions league football, for once I don't think money or contracts are involved.

Nolan was a funny one, he never seemed right since Carroll left and I would have loved him to stay, but I can understand how they were unsure about giving a player whos nearly 30 a 5 year contract.

Barton, well I don't understand why they ain't offering him a contract. He hasn't helped himself with the stuff he comes out with on Twitter.

Theres a long way to go in the transfer window yet but I am not liking how non of the 35 million from Carroll has been spent. If Enrique goes for say 15 million then thats 50 million from 2 players and I can see us spending that 15 million but the 35 staying firmly in the bank.

Personally I think we should just go all out with N'zogbia and give Wigan the 9-10 million asking price. We are building up the French revolution at Newcastle :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think we have to look at it from a different point of view though. The board have said time and time again the Carroll money will be reinvested. And it is.

Alright, on the face of it we're getting players on the cheap. Ba and Marveax were free transfers. But think about wages and signing on fees. Money that might have gone on transfers is coming out of the Andy Carroll money to pay for these transfers. So whether we like it or not we have already lost some of the £30m that we gained from selling Carroll. It's not as cut and dried as simply working out the figures from the transfer fees. That's what Pardew tried to explain to us last night. Thankfully there's still money out there to bring in 2 or 3 more players.

i still think we need another midfielder, left back and striker. If we can keep Joey Barton, get in maybe Charlie N'Zog' and a top striker I think we can have reason to be excited about the coming season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordOfTime wrote: »
    I think we have to look at it from a different point of view though. The board have said time and time again the Carroll money will be reinvested. And it is.

Alright, on the face of it we're getting players on the cheap. Ba and Marveax were free transfers. But think about wages and signing on fees. Money that might have gone on transfers is coming out of the Andy Carroll money to pay for these transfers. So whether we like it or not we have already lost some of the £30m that we gained from selling Carroll. It's not as cut and dried as simply working out the figures from the transfer fees. That's what Pardew tried to explain to us last night. Thankfully there's still money out there to bring in 2 or 3 more players.

i still think we need another midfielder, left back and striker. If we can keep Joey Barton, get in maybe Charlie N'Zog' and a top striker I think we can have reason to be excited about the coming season.

I guess I agree with what your saying, think it was the way it was said when we sold Carroll, most people expected the money to be spent on the transfer fees and now it can seem Pardew is just backtracking. But as you say we have been lucky with those 2 as they would have cost a good few million normally.

Totally agree on the signings. Would love Barton to just get a new contract, will feel strange if he is in the starting line-up against Arsenal but not be giving a new contract. But yeah it is looking promising, just hope the team gells together well. I think this season is going to be a very exciting season all around
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's this I'm hearign about llambias saying they're happy with the players they've got and there will be no more new summer signings.

I seriously hope the papers are on a wind up or he's been misquoted. Either that or the manager is being undermined yet again! :mad::(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What's this I'm hearign about llambias saying they're happy with the players they've got and there will be no more new summer signings.

I seriously hope the papers are on a wind up or he's been misquoted. Either that or the manager is being undermined yet again! :mad::(

What he said

'We have acted early and we have got the players we wanted, but none of them have been cheap. We have paid good prices for them. They certainly weren’t free transfers, there are fees and wages to consider.'

I think he means we have just acted early on the players we had targeted, I don't think he means there will be no more new signings.

Back to the 35 million being invested back into the squad. They are saying a lot of it goes on wages, but getting rid of Carrol and Nolan has freed up wages and im sure when you compare their wages with the players who have came in there won't be a huge difference.

llambias also saying we don't want to spend all the money now, some needs to be kept till January. I am normally against all the chairman bashing and such but just think what if we hadn't sold Carroll? We are being very very careful with the money now and are 35 million up on what we had.

I wish September 1st was just here so we could all make a more sound decision on how they have used the transfer window for the best.

The Daily Mail is saying Erdinc is going to reject the offer from Newcastle too :(. Time will tell
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I say all of that though but if we can hang on to what we have now and get a striker and Nzogbia I will be a happy fan
  • madanglianmadanglian Posts: 1,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was time to start the thread for the new season, what with the new fixtures out and pre season getting into gear.

The players are starting to get back to work. Contracts are being negotiated (in some cases obviously not) and the players will soon be jetting off to the states to get some match fitness.

Weird, isn't it? It's almost like we haven't had a close season this year. It's been a busy summer so far, with a couple of good signings but I hope there's more to come yet.

Overall last season was pretty mediocre with a couple of good results to cheer us up. Would be nice to think we could get lucky in one of the cup tournaments this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    madanglian wrote: »
    Weird, isn't it? It's almost like we haven't had a close season this year. It's been a busy summer so far, with a couple of good signings but I hope there's more to come yet.

Overall last season was pretty mediocre with a couple of good results to cheer us up. Would be nice to think we could get lucky in one of the cup tournaments this year.

It was mediocre for an establish premier league side which we are not. We've still got a lot to prove this year. Staying up was fantastic. Hopefully we can do it again we can push on. Top 10+ would be the next step. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could be worse guys sunderland about to sign Wes Brown, with Gibson and 'O'Shea for a combined fee of 12m :eek:

I would not be filled with hope if Newcastle spend 12m on those 3.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    Could be worse guys sunderland about to sign Wes Brown, with Gibson and 'O'Shea for a combined fee of 12m :eek:

I would not be filled with hope if Newcastle spend 12m on those 3.

Hmm I dunno. Wes Brown and O'shea are pretty decent. O'Shea getting on a bit though.

Still think we have a better team though, even if the mackems have more premier league experience. :)
  • Launch FanLaunch Fan Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    Hi NUFC fans. We've (York City) taken a young lad from your reserves who's been released, 20 year old Patrick McLaughlin, was your reserve captain.

Anyone know much about him?
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Rumours abound up here that someones being shown around St James this morning.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmm I dunno. Wes Brown and O'shea are pretty decent. O'Shea getting on a bit though.

Still think we have a better team though, even if the mackems have more premier league experience. :)

Yes agree with your last part. More happy with our policy of aiming for younger yet still experienced players then signing two 30 year olds.

Guess we will find out the true standings of the teams when we meet 2nd game of the season :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    Rumours abound up here that someones being shown around St James this morning.

Mike Ashley being shown the door? :D
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    Hope so !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coloccini been named the new captain. Really good choice I think. He is one of the first names on the team sheet and this means he will be staying with us

Announcing Enrique signing a new contract would feel like we have signed a new player as everyone seems to have him gone already
  • hallchallc Posts: 199,526
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to laugh at the teletext yesterday , from Mr Bruce across the water ...

"He says his star striker Gyan is going nowhere!" Yet he has signed all and sundry from everywhere .
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ameobi talking about his contract now

http://www.eatsleepsport.com/newcastle-united/toon-striker-admits-contract-problems-1237750.html#.Thm_gYLWTPY

Whist I am almost sure it is Ashleys doing by playing hard with contracts, if he is going to manage the club the way he is, he needs to send a message out to all the players to stop talking to the press about their contracts. I have never knew Newcastle or a club in general who has had as much pre/end of season talk about contracts.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Read on a newcastle forum that Notts Forest want Routledge and they will give us Lewis Mcgugan in a swap deal. He looks a decent player.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound too bad. But we're loaded in the midfield, especially if we're still going for Charlie N'zogbia. We really need to focus on a striker and left back if Enrique goes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What's this I hear about an NUFC TV channel the club are apparently planning on Freeview? :eek::confused:

ETA - Heard this on Total Sport - BBC Newcastle. Did I mishear it? Were they kidding? We do already have NUFCTV on the web through the official site.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know its going to be unlikely but any radio/stream for tonights friendly?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BigBmad wrote: »
    I know its going to be unlikely but any radio/stream for tonights friendly?

I combed over the NUFCTV website but I do't think they're going to be any official live coverage. The official site might cover it with text commentary but I don't think BBC Newcastle will be covering it.

I'm sure though you'll be able to catch up on the goals on Sky Sports News! :o