Options

The Ratings Thread (Part 35)

Comments

• Options
    PizzatheactionPizzatheaction Posts: 20,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders performing well against BGT this week.
    Yes, very impressive when you consider EastEnders hasn't really been at its best this year.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    BGT figures aren't great - but simply OK for its own standard. In all other standards, it's still doing amazingly well for ITV.

News at Ten getting no love from BGT lead in, with the BBC's bulletin pulling usual figures. Reasons must be a combination of a weaker BGT results show and the disgusting yellow look of ITV News they adopted a while ago, destroying the authority of the dark blue London skyline they had before. :mad:

Corrie's not bothered shooting special episodes for the week and this has shown in its mediocre ratings - the episodes have felt like normal episodes. :rolleyes: No buzz whatsoever, nor was it trailed further than a few days before (with good reason).

You've got to laugh when it comes to Corrie and its contribution/involvement in BGT's life. They haven't bothered since the series of unfortunate events in 2010 where its hugely-hyped, 24-style Siege Week (incidentally also debuting new opening titles and HD filming) was pulled from the schedules on the Wednesday due to the Cumbrian shootings.

A shame, because Siege Week began with 10.1 million viewers at 9pm for ITV, put in the end wasn't broadcast past Tuesday. With such strong episodes, the show would have pulled much higher audiences - and further boosted BGT which, IIRC, got 12m for its final despite being a 2 and a half hour one show marathon affair (and a duller series).

Anyway, they really pushed the boat out for the episodes (for Corrie's standard), dedicating the entire week to the siege and its explosive fallout. The episodes apparently were the soap's most expensive ever and took four weeks to shoot the six episodes (double the usual amount). To think the climatic explosion episode which was due to air at 9pm on Friday ended up at something like 8pm the following Wednesday! :o:eek: I can see why they haven't bothered to shell out loads of money in subsequent years.

Shame though, because the events in Cumbria were a tragic, horrific affair. ITV did the right thing, the noble thing, but had they left the episodes the ratings picture would have been different - and I should think the Corrie execs would have done more last year and this year.

Granted they had the Stape drama last year but it still felt flat and like slightly more exciting normal episodes. Certainly not biggies like the siege. :confused:

Just a thought - if the Corrie week were stronger I think BGT would have been noticed/watched a bit more. People always say BGT props Corrie up but I think it's definitely a two-way relationship. :) Execs would do well to realise viewers have noticed they haven't justified moving Corrie to 9pm this week - it's not all about BGT.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Yes, very impressive when you consider EastEnders hasn't really been at its best this year.
    That's going to change i think.
    They have a HUGE summer coming up and i think when EastEnders returns to normal (after Olympics and all) we could see a good September/October for it
    *Billy and The Olympic Tourch (Live bits of the ep)
    *Kat and Mo's Return
    *Janine and Michaels Wedding(Janine's Exit)
    *Mandy and Ian's Wedding (Mandy's Exit)
    *All the reveal with Ben and Heathers Murder (Bens Pos Exit)
    *Sharons Return
    *Dot's exit
    *Ians Breakdown

all happening this summer and a BIG storyline that will get the nation talking is promised for the Autumn and changes are it's one of the new EP's first storylines (she's worked at EastEnders for 18 years and knows it well)
  • Options
    grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can anyone see BGT having a small +1 figure due to an 11pm finish? I am revising my prediction to 10.7m and 550k for the +1...naturally I would prefer to be proved wrong.
  • Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    To be broadcast in week commencing 26th May:

Elizabeth II: A Diamond Jubilee Celebration
    As she celebrates her diamond jubilee, we look back at the Queen’s incredible reign. With unrivalled archive footage and interviews with people who have known, worked for and observed the Queen closely, we tell the story of how she steered the monarchy into a new millennium with her calm, quiet sense of duty and remarkable ability to adapt.

The Olympic Aquatic Centre: Mega Builders
    The ‘Mega Builders’ strand takes you behind the scenes at the biggest, most complex and most dangerous construction projects in the world. A group of engineers in England and Wales have taken one of the biggest challenges of this year’s Olympics: the construction of a complex steel-truss roof for the new Aquatic Centre. Shaped like a giant ocean wave, it is truly a high-tech wonder. 3,000 tonnes of steel will rest on only three points, like a tripod, leaving a 115-metre span of the roof otherwise unsupported.

The Mentalist (Season Finale)
    Patrick Jane hits rock bottom in a Las Vegas club, as the fourth season of the hit US crime drama reaches its dramatic conclusion, with Red John getting the better of Jane once again. While Lisbon and the team look for the murderer of an unidentified victim, Jane seeks solace in the arms of a beautiful woman after his latest attempt to snare Red John falls apart.

CSI: NY (Season Finale)
    The eighth season of the popular crime drama reaches its dramatic climax this week. After Mac is severely wounded in a shooting, the team pray for his recovery while looking for his assailant. ‘CSI: NY’ follows a team of forensic investigators who use high-tech science to solve crimes in the Big Apple. Det Mac Taylor (Gary Sinise, ‘Forrest Gump’, ‘Apollo 13’) and Det Jo Danville (Sela Ward, ‘The Fugitive’, ‘The Day After Tomorrow’) lead a team of experts through the gritty and dynamic city that never sleeps.

Movie Highlight: Disney's The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1996)
    Animated version of the Victor Hugo classic story. Condemned to stay inside Paris’s Notre Dame cathedral by his evil guardian Frollo, Quasimodo the hunchbacked bell-ringer longs to see the outside world. One day he escapes and meets the beautiful gypsy dancer Esmerelda, and his life is never the same again. With the voices of Tom Hulce, Demi Moore, Tony Jay, Kevin Kline, Paul Kandel and Jason Alexander.

Source: Channel 5 Press.
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Can anyone see BGT having a small +1 figure due to an 11pm finish? I am revising my prediction to 10.7m and 550k for the +1...naturally I would prefer to be proved wrong.

I'd agree with that, I think the show is still a good performer but it's Subo moment has passed and it's becoming predictable and stale. 11 million would be about right now for the final.
  • Options
    dulliredullire Posts: 20,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thursday 10th May overnights:

BBC One
    13:45- Doctors: 1.55m (20.5%)
    19:00- The One Show: 4.27m
    19:30- EastEnders: 6.07m (26.4%)
    20:00- Planet Earth Live: 3.59m (14.6%)
    21:00- New Tricks: 3.42m (14%)

BBC Two
    21:00- Shakespeare in Italy: 751k (3.1%).
    22:00- Grandma's House: 589k (3.2%)

ITV1
    19:00- Emmerdale: 6.67m (32.9%) , +1 128k
    19:30- Britain's Got Talent: 8.72m (36.6%), +1 249k
    21:00 Coronation Street: 8.52m (34.5%) , +1 304k
    21:30- Britain's Got Talent results: 7.96m (30.2%) , +1 274k

Channel 4
    18:30- Hollyoaks: 788k (4.2%)
    20:00- Phil Spencer Secret Agent: 1.32m (5.5%), +1: 184k
    21:00- The Hoarder Next Door: 2.13m (8.7%)
    * +1: 522k (2.6%)

Channel 5
    13:45- Neighbours: 758k (10.0%)
    17:30- Neighbours: 927k (6.1%)
    18:00- Home & Away: 691k (4.0%)
    20:00- World’s Scariest Weather: 829k (3.4%)
    21:00- The Restaurant Inspector: 555k (2.3%)

ITV1 30.8% (+1: 0.9%)
    BBC One:17.6%.
    Channel 4: 5.8% (+1: 1.1%)
    BBC Two: 4.8%
    Channel 5: 2.6% (+1: 0.2%)

Multichannels:

BBC Three:
    21:00- Russell Howard's Good News: 745k (3%)
    22:00- EastEnders: 1.27m (6.6%)
    00:00- Russell Howard's Good News: 500k(10.4%)

BBC Four
    21:00- The 2,000-Year-Old Computer: 798k (3.3%)
    22:00- Do We Really Need the Moon: 553k (3.2%)

E4:
    19:00- Hollyoaks: 525k (2.6%)

5*:
    18:30- Home & Away: 507k (2.7%)

Sky Arts 1:
    21:30- Prisoners of War: 16.5k (0.08%)
    slot average: 7.2k

DS (1)
    DS (2)
    Screenwatch
  • Options
    FuddFudd Posts: 167,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regarding Britain's Got Talent's official ratings:
    03 - 11.54m - BRITAIN'S GOT TALENT (31/03/12) - ITV1/HD*
    * 7th April episode may well be slightly higher given that including ITV1+1, it had 12.0m

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57950037&postcount=2304

Have we had final confirmation regarding the 7th April episode?

I know in the great scheme of things 9m is a good figure but I can't help being disappointed with it considering it was probably the strongest semi final ever. The dire acts from the night before probably didn't help. Yes, it may be due to being away from half term and scheduled against tougher opposition sporting wise but... Like The X Factor last year ITV are just going to have to accept Britain's Got Talent is not the behemoth it once was - not this series anyway and I can't see it ever regaining all of the viewers lost. I wonder if this'll strengthen their negotiating position with Simon Cowell over the respective shows futures.

EastEnders did well despite the clash; Coronation Street performed adequately but if they're going to move it drastically they need a bigger week to pull the viewers in. Emmerdale isn't seeing any real uplift from the lead out. The obsession with hoarders continued with Channel 4 recording a very good figure while BBC Three beat Channel 5 between 9 and 9.30pm and BBC Four also recorded excellent figures.
  • Options
    D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fudd wrote: »
    Regarding Britain's Got Talent's official ratings:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=57950037&postcount=2304

Have we had final confirmation regarding the 7th April episode?

Yes, 11.54m includes HD, that was my mistake. :o

The more up to date top 20 though is here. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58090994

:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Yes, 11.54m includes HD, that was my mistake. :o

The more up to date top 20 though is here. http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?p=58090994

:)

Thanks. :) Then I think Robbie's right - it's going to be tough for Britain's Got Talent to overtake The Voice in the official list.
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,763
    Forum Member
    dan2008 wrote: »
    EastEnders performing well against BGT this week.
    Up On Figure and share everynight this week and also up on 2010/2011 clashes aswell:)

EastEnders should be a little higher tonight also.
    The gap between EE and Corrie has been a lot smaller this year during BGT week.

Just a gap of 1.4m between the two shows last nights with first repeats included. Not bad at all for EE which has been poor lately.
  • Options
    dan2008dan2008 Posts: 37,281
    Forum Member
    Georged123 wrote: »
    The gap between EE and Corrie has been a lot smaller this year during BGT week.

Just a gap of 1.4m between the two shows last nights with first repeats included. Not bad at all for EE which has been poor lately.
    Yeah that's true. Emmerdale and EastEnders are much close however. It might not be a big deal but it is when you take into account that EastEnders clashed against BGT.

It's funny because i remember someone posted on here on Monday that ratings for EastEnders might go down across the week as it will be all 'Teen' based. But it wasn't and it didn't:)

Bolds well for it's BBC2 move in the summer
  • Options
    XIVXIV Posts: 21,577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looks like The Restaraunt Inspector won't be returning for another series. Channel 5 must be grateful that Big Brother coming back soon.

They need to find new returnable series, I know Channel 4 get a lot of slack but they have shows that appeal to audiences.
  • Options
    smile371smile371 Posts: 10,202
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Under 600k for Grandma's House is an awful figure, which is such a shame as it really is such a fantastic and funny show, but when there is less than 100k between a brand new BBC2 10:00pm comedy and a midnight BBC3 repeat you know another series isn't likely! :(
  • Options
    BrekkieBrekkie Posts: 24,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    I am not sure how many ad breaks ITV1 can use for BGT tomorrow. Over 150 minutes of primetime, it has to be around 30 mins. I can see the rating going up 1m+ on last night, but not two million, of course kids might stay up late on a saturday night.
    They can have eight breaks within the show, so including ITV promos and sponsorship bumpers it'll be 32 minutes of ads within the show itself.
    smile371 wrote: »
    Under 600k for Grandma's House is an awful figure, which is such a shame as it really is such a fantastic and funny show, but when there is less than 100k between a brand new BBC2 10:00pm comedy and a midnight BBC3 repeat you know another series isn't likely! :(
    Like with C4 though comedy on BBC2 surely suffers when it is alone in the schedule - though at least the 10pm slot is kind of established for BBC2.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    smile371 wrote: »

I wonder if Good News will be promoted to BBC Two. It'd surely make 1m at least in the 10pm slot Grandma's House has at the moment, and would do better with a comedy lead in.
  • Options
    SamthefootballSamthefootball Posts: 4,420
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BGT is still doing very well. I think some people still think we live in the past when we only had 3 channels. We have over 40 and IMO any show that can get 8-9m isn't going anywhere soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BGT is still doing very well. I think some people still think we live in the past when we only had 3 channels. We have over 40 and IMO any show that can get 8-9m isn't going anywhere soon.

No, but considering the auditions were up on last year and generally the semi finals have been stronger (bar Wednesday night) than last year it's disappointing that there's been a drop. And unlike The X Factor (2011) and The Voice there are no obvious problems with the show itself which can be ironed out - except maybe trying to go for quality over quantity.
  • Options
    JetsonJetson Posts: 13,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corrie does very well on ITV1+1 in these 9pm weeks. Does anyone have a comparison between normal +1 airings and this week's 10pm repeat?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Jonwo wrote: »
    Looks like The Restaraunt Inspector won't be returning for another series. Channel 5 must be grateful that Big Brother coming back soon.

They need to find new returnable series, I know Channel 4 get a lot of slack but they have shows that appeal to audiences.
    To be fair, The Restaurant Inspector is probably their first major flop of the year. They do have a number of returnable formats which are performing well, but not enough I agree.

I'm a little puzzled as to why this was the show to really tank for them. It got a really good writeup on the Radio Times and it's one of the most discussed C5 shows on here too. I think launching on a night when ITV and C4 were both offering popular factual entertainment shows of their own didn't help. If figures don't improve much next week away from BGT, it may well find itself pulled or moved to 8pm as those figures are nowhere near good enough for 9pm.

It's a bit of a shame but it is a very formulaic show and Fernando doesn't swear like a trooper or get in people's faces in the way that Ramsay does, so he's never going to have the same appeal. It's probably a good thing in the long run if it forces them to commission something a bit more imaginative in its place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Surprisingly it looks as though Sky are to put some effort into Pick TV from the end of this month, starting with bringing hit US sitcoms Modern Family and The Middle to Freeview for the first time. Star Trek: Voyager also returns. The new weeknight early evening schedule looks like this on the channel from May 28th:

18.00 Star Trek: Voyager
    19.00 Futurama
    20.00 Modern Family
    20.30 The Middle

That's pretty much all the changes for now. A League of Their Own also joins Monday nights from June.
  • Options
    Roscoe BarnesRoscoe Barnes Posts: 6,360
    Forum Member
    Not that bad, but not that great either for BGT last night. Tuesday was clearly a blip then looking at the figures as a whole, but overall this week has produced some good, but not brilliant ratings. And considering how well the auditions have done this year (the officials make for very good reading), the semi finals have been below average. I'm not sure what they could have done though? They've been some of the best ever in the last few years. The production is top notch, it looks amazing, Ant & Dec are as strong as ever and the panel works extremely well. Where did it all go wrong?:confused:

As for the Final tomorrow. 11.99m is going to be a tough ask to topple The Voice in the end of year chart, despite BGT's Final probably going to out rate TV's Final and have a better series average.

Could someone please clarify a few points for me:

1. The 2010 Final was one 150min show? And averaged 11.8m? In my records, I've got it down as 12.3m. So is that incorrect? +1 didn't exist then and if 11.8m is correct, the timeshift for the final was huge as it ended with 13.50m (inc. HD).

2. The 2011 Final was made up of a main show and results show. The ratings I have (I think they are full-slot averages) are: Main show: 11.0m (inc. +1: 11.4m) and Final Result: 12.2m (inc. +1: 12.5m), Are these correct?

I think if ITV had split the main show tomorrow and had a results show it would top TV's 11.99m. It's a big ask now, but not impossible.
  • Options
    CentCent Posts: 26,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just saw an advert for The Proposal on BBC1. Can't remember the last time BBC1 promoted a film premiere, outside maybe Christmas.
  • Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cent wrote: »
    Just saw an advert for The Proposal on BBC1. Can't remember the last time BBC1 promoted a film premiere, outside maybe Christmas.

Trying to catch the post-BGT Final audience.
This discussion has been closed.