Falling for a friend.......has it ever happened to you?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi guys,

I'd be really interested to know your opinions and experiences of crossing that boundary between friendship and romance.

Have you ever developed feelings for a friend? What was the outcome? Did it work? Was it awkward?

Or perhaps some of you just kept it all inside and never even told that person how you really feel? Perhaps that's the best way?

Please let me know, I'd love to hear your experiences

In case you are interested, the reason I ask is that I have recently realized that I really do have strong feelings for one of my friends. We have not seen each other in over 2 years (he moved back to a different country) and it was only when we met again recently that I realized! I will never tell him of-course, as it will prob never work due to the distance and a couple of other factors......

Comments

• FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fell for a really good friend when I was younger and it lead to nothing but confusion. Personally, I wouldn't recommend following up on it.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I fell for a close friend but it wasn't returned. I got over it though and we remain good friends, in fact I am seeing him this evening :)
  • bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, never. Nor the other way round either. I've had several female friends over the years as well. I was really physically attracted to one, but that's not quite the same as falling for them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I fell for a close friend but it wasn't returned. I got over it though and we remain good friends, in fact I am seeing him this evening :)

What happened? How did you let him know? What was his reaction?
  • Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Yeah I did

Got to the vital part of convo and she wanted to say something before I did which was that she is having fun being single and loves me as a friend. I followed that up with umm errr ummm and made up something but right inside I was dying as it was just at that point I was going to say how I felt. Typical! but I got over it in the end and we are still the best of mates.
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    laska wrote: »
    What happened? How did you let him know? What was his reaction?

I drunkenly told him I really liked him and was falling for him. We have a really open friendship, there's nothing we wouldn't tell each other I don't think. I can't really remember his reaction but he was cool about it and we chatted for ages. We wouldn't work as a couple though anyway, I'm sure of it. So it's good we just stayed friends.
  • miss_astridmiss_astrid Posts: 1,808
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've had a close friend fall for me, but I didn't feel the same way. I let him down gently and we remain friends to this day. :)
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Over ten years ago I had a crush on a fella I worked with. He was very tall.....

Obviously, I never said anything...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    I drunkenly told him I really liked him and was falling for him. We have a really open friendship, there's nothing we wouldn't tell each other I don't think. I can't really remember his reaction but he was cool about it and we chatted for ages. We wouldn't work as a couple though anyway, I'm sure of it. So it's good we just stayed friends.
    I've had a close friend fall for me, but I didn't feel the same way. I let him down gently and we remain friends to this day. :)

It's nice to hear that in both of your cases it worked out.

Even if it is not in the way you hoped- ie. the other person also declaring their undying love for you, you were still able to continue your friendships and move on.

I guess things are awkward and weird only if you make them awkward and weird yourself!
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I've had it from either point of view. There was a close friend of mine (we had the same group of friends) the friends always tried to get us together (awkward moments) and they told me he loved me but I didn't feel the same way.

A year later there was a guy I became good friends with and after a while I realised I was crushing on him. We hung out like all the time and did flirt a bit - luckily he asked me to be his girlfriend so I sorta played it cool like 'yeah ok then' :D haha. Sadly he was a rubbish boyfriend but we're friends again - I don't think we'll ever be as close as we used to be (friendship wise) but we get on ok and do still talk to each other.
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    At school, I had one admitting she had fallen for me.

I didn't feel the same way and panicked at the idea of losing her friendship, so I pretended I misunderstood and said something inane like "You're one of my absolutely favourite friends, too" (which was true) and gave her a quick hug. She let the so-called misunderstanding stand.

Unfortunately, that unresolved issue became an elephant in the room. This created a huge invisible wall between us, which eventually made us avoid each other. We were at a boarding school, so avoiding each other was rather impossible.

After a few days, due to the others noticing our estrangement, I cornered her in a corridor and told her I didn't feel the same way, and I wanted us to stay friends. She immediately denied she said she liked me 'like that' and blamed me for creating drama by 'misunderstanding' her. I apologised and she accepted. Yeah, we were still pretending. Ridiculous.

We became friends again, but it wasn't same as before. Not surprising as we lied and deceived each other throughout that awkward mess.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A female friend fell for me. I was moving over 100 miles away to a new job. She told me at my leaving party, nothing happened. She was lovely though:(

I'm sure had I stayed there something would have:)
  • shmiskshmisk Posts: 7,963
    Forum Member
    this is a bit on topic for me
    At the beginning of June I had a bad breakup and was devastated.
    one of my male friends was amazing - we didn't talk about the break up but did things and he made me laugh.
    we went out on friday night and had a good night and ended up sleeping together
    and now we have another date planned
    i don't know how it will pan out but right now its all feeling pretty good.
  • krytenkkrytenk Posts: 1,796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I fell for my best friend (whilst married to someone else...whoops!). We've now been together 17 years, and married for 11 in October. It can work out :)
  • Bedlam_maidBedlam_maid Posts: 5,922
    Forum Member
    My partner was once my friend (and still is). We have been together for 10 very happy years.
  • MAWMAW Posts: 38,777
    Forum Member
    I married my flatmate. Does that count?
  • QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Q and I were friends for a while before we became what we were.
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think some people try and kid themselves that they can still be friends with the person but I think they are just hoping the object of their affection will change their mind one day. Bit pathetic really. If they are not interested, move on with your life instead of hanging around like a bad smell.
  • Apple22over7Apple22over7 Posts: 698
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jumbobones wrote: »
    I think some people try and kid themselves that they can still be friends with the person but I think they are just hoping the object of their affection will change their mind one day. Bit pathetic really. If they are not interested, move on with your life instead of hanging around like a bad smell.

I'd disagree.

I've got a good friend who told me he was attracted to me a week after I split up with my partner. I told him in no uncertain terms that I did not feel the same, and asked him if he could continue being friends with me without such intentions. He agreed, and he's stuck to it.

I don't know what's going on in his head (obviously), but he has not made any moves towards me since that conversation, and he knows that if he did I would back away very quickly. I do not string him along, or take advantage of him, and I support him as a friend as he does me. As far as I’m concerned our friendship is just that, a friendship, nothing more and never will be - and I've told him exactly that. His feelings on the matter are his own to deal with.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never fallen for a friend, but I did have a friend who clumsily confessed his love to me after I'd had a bad break-up. I was pretty horrified and couldn't disguise it very well. It wasn't just because of the hilariously bad timing either. I had never thought of him that way at all and I was just freaked out thinking about how long he had felt like that. We both got angry and said some stuff that was out of order and although we both apologized to each other and calmed down we couldn't go back to being friends. He moved away and I haven't heard from him in years.
  • alan29alan29 Posts: 34,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I married my closest friend. that was 37 years ago. I guess it worked.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thing is I've never had any friends to "fall for"...... :cry:
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    My best friend is a gay man, we'll never make the transition from friends to lovers:D

My mum and dad were friends for 4 years before they realised they were in love. They were married for 27 years before my lovely dad passed away.
  • JJ75JJ75 Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a friend who I *think* wants more. I'm unsure what to do. I never looked at him in that way until one night we kissed. It was good. Very good.

I know we wouldnt work so why mess it up.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My best friend is a gay man, we'll never make the transition from friends to lovers:D

My mum and dad were friends for 4 years before they realised they were in love. They were married for 27 years before my lovely dad passed away.

And the unavailable people are always so beautiful, too. :cry: