Options

Just had two facebook friend removals (no voter)

Comments

• Options
    PinSarlaPinSarla Posts: 4,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bspace wrote: »
    well the one thing we can learn from this kind of behaviour is to lay to rest the notion that nationalism in Scotland is different to that in England and that the most vocal of the SNP crowd are the equivalent of the BNP.

I've seen Yes voters call older people who voted No selfish b*stards, as they will be dead soon anyway. I don't think they realise that some of them might have fought in WW2 so that they could have a vote (not many of them, but the point still stands). Hey, I know emotions are running high, but come on!
  • Options
    jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    only two eh?
  • Options
    pope_tartpope_tart Posts: 3,801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jenzie wrote: »
    only two eh?

now stop it :D:D:D:D
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PinSarla wrote: »
    I've seen Yes voters call older people who voted No selfish b*stards, as they will be dead soon anyway. I don't think they realise that some of them might have fought in WW2 so that they could have a vote (not many of them, but the point still stands). Hey, I know emotions are running high, but come on!

Ive seen some calling for them to have their pensions from them. Apparently they've also robbed from the country's young people- obviously totally ignoring the majority of 18-24 year olds voted No too!
  • Options
    reglipreglip Posts: 5,268
    Forum Member
    I was open in what I voted but I guess that's why so many stayed silent on it as they dislike the arguments it causes.

You were open? You didnt insult those who voted yes then?
  • Options
    Black SheepBlack Sheep Posts: 15,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What aloud of rubbish isn't it, people being so petty that they cannot accept a result which they can't say wasn't democratically arrived at.

After all the jibes about 79 and how it wasn't representative 4000,000 Scots voted no more than voted Yes.

Now in a pathetic attempt to blame someone they are picking on the Old where it's equally true that 18-24 year olds rejected independence too.

It's more cowardly to cry foul than it is to simply accept that more of your countrymen didn't agree with you than did. If it's worth losing a friendship for then I'd say those friends aren't worth having.

My old dad says that you see your real friends in a crisis and equally lose fair weather friends in one.

As I thought on Thursday, the Sun actually came up today in our beautiful country and it was a great day when I took my dog down the beach where it run around with the other dogs. Maybe some were SNP dogs and Some Labour Dogs but they managed to get along as Scots dogs and so will we of we put this behind us and move on.

A wee sad few will keep this nonesense up for a while as they will take longer to work through the grieving process but come Christmas the majority of us will just be Scottish Dogs again.
  • Options
    Mr_XcXMr_XcX Posts: 23,899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My family up Scotland voted No but we also have some who voted Yes. The Yes have made us still feel welcome. I think it's cause on my Dad's side we are Scottish :p
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To add a bit of balance two of my real friends on fb one a braveheart freedom sort and the other thinks he would be better off in an independent Scotland are both still my friends and I know them well enough that we won't fall out about this. I know they are bitter but grown up enough not to lose friends over it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have witnessed abuse on many levels in the last few weeks, but for me the vast majority has been done in the name of the 'no' campaign, but I do accept that there are idiots on both sides. I come from the Hamilton area, 10 miles from Glasgow.

The problem is that the feelings are raw for some, I myself am incredibly depressed that a vision of an independent Scotland is pretty much dead forever.. life goes on and I am sure it will not look so bad tomorrow etc..

I really don't like hearing na na na etc from smug unionists draped in union jacks screaming god save the queen with their ignorant nazi salutes and trolling... and to be honest the comments from many an English commentator which are far from constructive.

The reaction to this behaviour is all too human and regrettable. We all get caught up in defensive behaviour which on reflection is just not worthy.

I really do hope that at the end of the day everyone can realise that we are, as we were before, in the same boat and it is better that we get along.
  • Options
    saywhatyouseesaywhatyousee Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrstim wrote: »
    I was in tears yesterday voting, voting for what I believed was the best thing to do yet the bully tactics of certain yes voters in my circle had managed to make me feel like I wasn't patriotic because of it.
    Yet big Davie who hasn't registered to vote because he doesn't want his debt to catch up with him is ok because he is sticking one fingers up to the authorities refusing to pay poll tax.

Am sick of it all already, am sick of people telling me I'm a coward, not Scottish enough, Englafied ( whatever that means) because I chose what I felt was best.

Sounds like you need better friends.....chin up and carry on. It was your decision to make, not theirs....
  • Options
    gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really think it is so pathetic. I'm not Scottish, and it wasn't up to me, but I can see a lot of justified anger in response to people voting the wrong way.

It's things like this - just like this - that have caused civil wars, is it not?
  • Options
    *Sparkle**Sparkle* Posts: 10,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's no denying that some people are struggling to respect that other people have different opinions. However, it all works both ways.

I am happily Facebook friends with a number of people on both sides of the debate, and so far not deleted anyone. I respect their difference of opinion, but a few have driven me mad by spamming my timeline with their campaigning. I "hid" the worst offender, because getting three or four campaigning posts a day (often of the paranoid sort) for months in advance of the referendum, and no sign of let-up, was too much. It's not because I didn't respect them or their right to hold a different opinion. They were plain old annoying.

So if you've been deleted from someone's Friends list, it might not be because you hold a particular opinion, and have said so publicly. It could be that you are really annoying with it?
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't really think it is so pathetic. I'm not Scottish, and it wasn't up to me, but I can see a lot of justified anger in response to people voting the wrong way.

Since when was voting no (or Yes for that matter) the "wrong way". Maybe it's not the way some people would have liked, but it's certainly not in any way wrong. Voting the "wrong way" is something that happens in totalitarian countries, not a democracy.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's things like this - just like this - that have caused civil wars, is it not?

It was my vote, my choice, my decision - who are they or anyone to tell me that I 'voted the wrong way' ? IMO the yes voters voted the wrong way, am I abusing them? Calling them names? No, because they felt they were making the correct choice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you need better friends.....chin up and carry on. It was your decision to make, not theirs....

Am really starting to think this way now rather than being upset.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 464
    Forum Member
    A friend had someone drop her from FB because he assumed she voted for the "other side". She hadn't but figured if that was what he was like she was better off without him.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    James2001 wrote: »
    Since when was voting no (or Yes for that matter) the "wrong way". Maybe it's not the way some people would have liked, but it's certainly not in any way wrong. Voting the "wrong way" is something that happens in totalitarian countries, not a democracy.
    Mrstim wrote: »
    It was my vote, my choice, my decision - who are they or anyone to tell me that I 'voted the wrong way' ? IMO the yes voters voted the wrong way, am I abusing them? Calling them names? No, because they felt they were making the correct choice.

vis a vis - the wrong way: I am not indicating a preference for yes or no (although I would have voted yes) - just indicating that many of both sides held strongly entrenched views - and therefore it is easy to see why there is so much acrimony.

especially as it looks like the "no's" have been seduced by a few pennyworth of silver. so as well as anger from the disappointed "yes" faction, there will also be a deal of regret from the manipulated "no" faction.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    especially as it looks like the "no's" have been seduced by a few pennyworth of silver. so as well as anger from the disappointed "yes" faction, there will also be a deal of regret from the manipulated "no" faction.

You see, I wouldn't have cared that you would vote Yes, but if you were one of my friends, it would annoy me that you would dare to accuse me of being "seduced by a few pennyworth of silver". That's very unpleasant, and I'd have to question if I wanted to stay friends with someone like that. I might let it slight in the immediate aftermath of the result, if I thought you were particularly upset and 'mourning' for what might have been, and just mouthing off. However, if you said it with sincerity, I'd reconsider whether you were the sort of person I'd like to associate with.
  • Options
    ElectraElectra Posts: 55,660
    Forum Member
    Moo_Chops wrote: »
    I have witnessed abuse on many levels in the last few weeks, but for me the vast majority has been done in the name of the 'no' campaign, but I do accept that there are idiots on both sides. I come from the Hamilton area, 10 miles from Glasgow.

The problem is that the feelings are raw for some, I myself am incredibly depressed that a vision of an independent Scotland is pretty much dead forever.. life goes on and I am sure it will not look so bad tomorrow etc..

I really don't like hearing na na na etc from smug unionists draped in union jacks screaming god save the queen with their ignorant nazi salutes and trolling... and to be honest the comments from many an English commentator which are far from constructive.

The reaction to this behaviour is all too human and regrettable. We all get caught up in defensive behaviour which on reflection is just not worthy.

I really do hope that at the end of the day everyone can realise that we are, as we were before, in the same boat and it is better that we get along.

It doesn't have to be. If the next attempt is based on something concrete - facts & figures and voters are told exactly what can & cannot happen (rather than pipe dreams) you could still be in with a chance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »
    You see, I wouldn't have cared that you would vote Yes, but if you were one of my friends, it would annoy me that you would dare to accuse me of being "seduced by a few pennyworth of silver". That's very unpleasant, and I'd have to question if I wanted to stay friends with someone like that. I might let it slight in the immediate aftermath of the result, if I thought you were particularly upset and 'mourning' for what might have been, and just mouthing off. However, if you said it with sincerity, I'd reconsider whether you were the sort of person I'd like to associate with.

well there you are. I thought we were having a general discussion, and made what I thought were a few innocuous (although I was trying to be honest and careful) observations - and you react by confirming that you might not me fancy as a friend precisely for expressing those viewpoints. Others have compared the outcome of this choice with the rancour caused by the action of different factions of miners during the strike

I suspect that a lot of people possibly chose to vote "no" because of the devo-max offers, which 3 party leaders (together with a discredited former PM) decided to offer without any parliamentary discussion, agreement or sanction. Whether in sufficient numbers to affect the outcome, who knows?

Good luck :)
  • Options
    BanditaBandita Posts: 3,735
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Sparkle* wrote: »

Absolutely, I would be annoyed by that. I voted NO, my vote was in before that happened so would feel a bit miffed at being accused of being "seduced by a few pennyworth of silver". Weren't the YES group seduced by Salmonds future Scotland full of promises for more of everything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    well there you are. I thought we were having a general discussion, and made what I thought were a few innocuous (although I was trying to be honest and careful) observations - and you react by confirming that you might not me fancy as a friend precisely for expressing those viewpoints.

You miss the point.

The OP claims his Yes voting friends have unfriended him because he voted No. I'm pointing out that it could be for other reasons, such as being obnoxious about it.

I couldn't care less if you voted Yes, but I would care if you used Facebook to publicly say I lack integrity. Do you see the difference? One if you having a different point of view about politics. The other is you being nasty about me. Why would I want to be friends with someone like that?

Imagine if I told all of our shared friends that you were persuaded to vote Yes because you hate the English? Would you want to be friends with someone that?

I'm not using this thread to campaign a point of view on the issues of Independence. We're discussing how well people are getting along in the aftermath. It's why I have deliberately reversed the OP's scenario to stop allegations of it being about just one side not wanting to be friends.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    hope ur ok hun x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hope ur ok hun x

:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand that people are upset and angry, if yes had of won I would have been devastated ! I would have been selling up and moving.
    I would not be texting or fbing my yes voting pals saying " it's all your fault, you voted yes and now I'm having to move my family and my house has devalued and it's all your fault for being sucked in my Salmonds promises "
    Don't understand how attacking your friends is going to make a difference.