Sky line rental

davidjohndavidjohn Posts: 31
Forum Member
I see sky's line rental is rising by £1 from dec 1st

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 135
    Forum Member
    Well Bt are increasing there line rental in December too, so I suppose Sky think they can make the same increase. I wonder how many other providers will also follow suit.
  • Options
    missbtsportmissbtsport Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Well Bt are increasing there line rental in December too, so I suppose Sky think they can make the same increase. I wonder how many other providers will also follow suit.

bt still offer pay for the year and that works out cheaper than sky or paying monthly for bt, so pay your money and make your choice.
  • Options
    Dave-HDave-H Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    A good deal it is too from BT, I was disappointed when Sky dropped their option to do the same, which they used to offer but no longer.
    I just switched my line rental from BT to Sky (my calls and broadband were already with Sky) to get the two years' free broadband offer, which will save me £180 over the next two years.
    Whether this was a good thing to do long-term remains to be seen!
    :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »
    A good deal it is too from BT, I was disappointed when Sky dropped their option to do the same, which they used to offer but no longer.
    I just switched my line rental from BT to Sky (my calls and broadband were already with Sky) to get the two years' free broadband offer, which will save me £180 over the next two years.

and you will now get BT sport 1 2 & espn free, and be able to keep watching champions league & Europa League football from 2015 when Sky loose it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Sorry?
    I changed my line rental from BT, to Sky, not the other way around!
    :confused:
    I'm not in the slightest bit interested in BT's sports channels, so that didn't even come into the equation.
  • Options
    Lt. DangLt. Dang Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    davidjohn wrote: »
    I see sky's line rental is rising by £1 from dec 1st

They are also sneaking in a £1 per month charge for their 1571 voicemail service. I only use my line for broadband so I cancelled 1571 from my package.

Regards,

Lt. Dang
  • Options
    sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bt still offer pay for the year and that works out cheaper than sky or paying monthly for bt, so pay your money and make your choice.

Mine has just come up for renewal, and you get the year for the old price if you renew before 1st December (think it goes up by £10 then), main reason i have BT broadband is for the wifi hotspots.
    and you will now get BT sport 1 2 & espn free, and be able to keep watching champions league & Europa League football from 2015 when Sky loose it.

Did BT not announce that they would have to charge for Champions League when they start showing it, so it probably won't be on their free channels?
  • Options
    Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,517
    Forum Member
    Lt. Dang wrote: »
    They are also sneaking in a £1 per month charge for their 1571 voicemail service. I only use my line for broadband so I cancelled 1571 from my package.

Does anyone even use it? - I ring a LOT of customers, and often have to leave messages - if it's 1571 you just know that they will never get back in touch :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I now use Sky's Voicemail Plus, which is the same as the BT Call Minder which I used to have, which has never been free but does allow me to do things like remotely pick up messages and record my own outgoing message.
    I guess Sky are now starting to charge even for their basic 1571 voicemail service simply because BT now do, as usual they all follow each other in putting up prices!
    I was surprised that the basic 1571 service on Sky was enabled by default.
    If they keep to that policy when they are charging for it there will be a lot of angry customers who will now find that they're paying for a service they don't use and very possibly didn't even know that they had!
  • Options
    teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I found out about the 1571 charge as i was looking at ''future charges'' in my sky, it didnt say anything about an increase until i spotted it on a "future bill", same with the line rental.
    Although it was easy to opt out of the 1571 charge.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Mine has just come up for renewal, and you get the year for the old price if you renew before 1st December (think it goes up by £10 then), main reason i have BT broadband is for the wifi hotspots.

Did BT not announce that they would have to charge for Champions League when they start showing it, so it probably won't be on their free channels?

I put the comer after the BTsport 1 2 espn free so I was not saying champions league & Europa League where free, as far as I know the cost for this is yet to be announced
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I put the comer after the BTsport 1 2 espn free so I was not saying champions league & Europa League where free, as far as I know the cost for this is yet to be announced

I don't think that comma clarifies you meant you'd have to pay for it, after all, anyone with Sky can also pay to watch it as well as people with BT Sport.
  • Options
    racey43racey43 Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    They have increased my line rental by £1 even though I have a contract. I'm not sure if they are entitled to do this but can't be bothered to do battle with them again for the sake of £1 a month.
    The 1571 charge is easy to cancel on the website. I wasn't really aware of it anyway as I use the answering service on my phone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    racey43 wrote: »
    They have increased my line rental by £1 even though I have a contract. I'm not sure if they are entitled to do this but can't be bothered to do battle with them again for the sake of £1 a month.

It will be in the T&C's that you agreed to, that they can increase prices during the minimum period, of, I believe, 10% or less.

Other providers do the same, even if you signed up for BT today, paying monthly, your line rental would go up in December, the only way to stop it on BT is to pay a year up front before the price goes up.
  • Options
    kevj61kevj61 Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    Dave-H wrote: »

I did the sky line rental saver last month. Had to pay £140.40 for the 12 months upfront. I think BT's is nearly £160. Sky do still do this offer but for some reason they don't like to advertise it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kevj61 wrote: »
    I did the sky line rental saver last month. Had to pay £140.40 for the 12 months upfront. I think BT's is nearly £160. Sky do still do this offer but for some reason they don't like to advertise it.
    That's very interesting, I was told quite categorically that it was something that they used to offer but no longer do!
    I will have to investigate again.
    There's certainly nothing on the web site about it that I could find.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think BT's line rental saver was £120py when I first got it, which at the time was a good deal because it kept the price at £10pm (a mental milestone if nothing else). Since then it's gone up like this each year:

£120
    £129
    £141
    £160

An absolute joke.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I only very recently switched my line rental from BT to Sky, and I used BT's line rental saver too for several years.
    Although the price certainly did rocket up, it was always considerably cheaper than paying quarterly or monthly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    kevj61 wrote: »
    Just spent a while talking to Sky CS about this, and apparently the offer isn't available any more, and apparently was just a one-off for a limited period.
    The guy seemed to think that it ended a couple of months ago, but could re-appear at any time as an offer for specific individual users (under "My Offers" on My Sky.)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    I think BT's line rental saver was £120py when I first got it, which at the time was a good deal because it kept the price at £10pm (a mental milestone if nothing else). Since then it's gone up like this each year:

£120
    £129
    £141
    £160

An absolute joke.

bt £159.84 = £14.53 for 10 months, sky no annual saver £16.40 for 12months =196.80. so you save over £36 with bt. the jokes on you :D
  • Options
    Deacon1972Deacon1972 Posts: 8,171
    Forum Member
    bt £159.84 = £14.53 for 10 months, sky no annual saver £16.40 for 12months =196.80. so you save over £36 with bt. the jokes on you :D
    BT current price compared to Sky's December price increase, nice try.

BT's price goes up to £169.90 on the 1/12/14 so the saving would be £26.90 not over £36.

Prior to the price increases the saving would have been £25 over a full 12months.

For monthly line rental Sky is cheaper.
  • Options
    DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £170py = £14.16pm on line rental when they charge something like £9pm wholesale, and they have the cheek to call it line rental saver. The only reason Sky etc. put up their line rental is because they can...and why can they? Because BT do. Seems slightly counter-productive since it allows other companies to make profit on line rental, when BT could set the prices so that they can't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    DragonQ wrote: »
    £170py = £14.16pm on line rental when they charge something like £9pm wholesale, and they have the cheek to call it line rental saver. The only reason Sky etc. put up their line rental is because they can...and why can they? Because BT do. Seems slightly counter-productive since it allows other companies to make profit on line rental, when BT could set the prices so that they can't.

the lines are do not belong to BT but Openreach part of BT Group but a separate line of business who charge BT and every one else for their lines, so Openreach put up the cost for line rental not BT
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    the lines are do not belong to BT but Openreach part of BT Group but a separate line of business who charge BT and every one else for their lines, so Openreach put up the cost for line rental not BT

Re read what you were quoting from DragonQ.

To the consumer, their provider puts up the cost to them, that's who they pay.

If BT charge £16 the consumer, then everyone else can charge £15.50 and advertise as being cheaper, simple really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Re read what you were quoting from DragonQ.

To the consumer, their provider puts up the cost to them, that's who they pay.

If BT charge £16 the consumer, then everyone else can charge £15.50 and advertise as being cheaper, simple really.

that's not how I read it, that's why I said "BT do not set the price Openreach do", but let DragonQ. answer for him self I am sure that he will :)