Want to improve PS3 Controller...?

max99max99 Posts: 9,002
Forum Member
For those of you not completely satisfied with the DualShock, I can't recommend this highly enough:

EA Sports: Comfort Play Pack with Game Grip Technology

For £8 it totally transforms the pad. You get grips for the handles, pads for the analogue sticks and R2 triggers (better than the Giotech ones, IMHO). The whole pad just feels more substantial in your hands, not to mention more comfortable and grippier. So if you never liked the small size of the Dualshock or it's ridiculous convex triggers (or just preferred the 360 controller), give this a go. Seriously.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankyou EA sales rep
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's nothing wrong with the PS3 controller. The only poor design is the triggers but that can be fixed by buying them 'real trigger' clips on for £1. The overall size is the same as PS1 and PS2 controllers so I don't see some peoples problem.
  • max99max99 Posts: 9,002
    Forum Member
    Gazinuk wrote: »
    Thankyou EA sales rep

Busted! I've waited five years and made over 5000 posts just so one day I could pimp an £8 product without anyone realising. Damn you and your suspicious mind!!!
    There's nothing wrong with the PS3 controller. The only poor design is the triggers but that can be fixed by buying them 'real trigger' clips on for £1. The overall size is the same as PS1 and PS2 controllers so I don't see some peoples problem.

Exactly, it's other people's problem - just because you don't experience it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist for anyone else.

The Giotech Real Triggers triggers have a documented fault for cracking (both of mine did after a few months). The EA triggers may or may not be more durable, but they are made from a nicer feeling material.
  • gothergother Posts: 14,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    For those of you not completely satisfied with the DualShock, I can't recommend this highly enough:

EA Sports: Comfort Play Pack with Game Grip Technology

For £8 it totally transforms the pad. You get grips for the handles, pads for the analogue sticks and R2 triggers (better than the Giotech ones, IMHO). The whole pad just feels more substantial in your hands, not to mention more comfortable and grippier. So if you never liked the small size of the Dualshock or it's ridiculous convex triggers (or just preferred the 360 controller), give this a go. Seriously.

I take it it will be full of bugs just like everything else EA release.
  • Flawed-TacticsFlawed-Tactics Posts: 3,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The triggers aren't really a problem, FPS games use the buttons which work really well.

For driving games a wheel is better anyway.
  • Mark AMark A Posts: 7,692
    Forum Member
    My only experience of the gamepad's buttons or triggers slipping is if I've been eating toast or somesuch. Not really the fault of the pad, I feel.

Regards

Mark
  • The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Why is that controller dressed like a prostitute?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I might check this out for the concave stick covers alone.

The 360 has much better analogue sticks than the DualShock, but I prefer the DualShock placement. This might be the best of both worlds.
  • mojobrewmojobrew Posts: 1,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Depends what you're after. I've got various stick covers, usually I use the knobbly ones as the give better "non-slip" but concave vs convex is entirely personal.

I have two sets of the Giotech triggers which are great but do crack too easily - both of my first set have cracked and so fall off easily, but they're dirt cheap so just buy more.

Don't get the point of the making-them-bigger holders though, again it's just a personal thing
    Forum Member

The 360 has much better analogue sticks than the DualShock, but I prefer the DualShock placement. This might be the best of both worlds.

I don't mind the standard sticks, but the new covers do feel better - although they do slightly raise the height of the sticks, which might annoy some people.
    Why is that controller dressed like a prostitute?

Don't know what's more disturbing - the fact you're correct or the fact you noticed it in the first place.
  • frailfuryfrailfury Posts: 7,222
    Forum Member
    I have some triggers I got free today from PC world and some rubber grip things for the sticks, however it feels like a cheap controller and like it's been modded.

Nothing wrong with the controller at all how it is. My muscles in my hands start aching about 2mins after using the triggers so they're in the drawer with the rubber grips gathering dust!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

I alwys thought it looked very odd - so used to dual analogue on the same position
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max99 wrote: »
    Busted! I've waited five years and made over 5000 posts just so one day I could pimp an £8 product without anyone realising. Damn you and your suspicious mind!!!

Exactly, it's other people's problem - just because you don't experience it, doesn't mean it doesn't exist for anyone else.

The Giotech Real Triggers triggers have a documented fault for cracking (both of mine did after a few months). The EA triggers may or may not be more durable, but they are made from a nicer feeling material.

I've had my triggers since late 2008 both still going strong and not cracked and I use my PS3 everyday.
    Forum Member
    I've had my triggers since late 2008 both still going strong and not cracked and I use my PS3 everyday.

The old ones were apparently fine, but they changed the type of plastic at some stage and they now crack easily. Giotek will change them if you can be bothered to send them back, though.
  • Jon79Jon79 Posts: 1,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The triggers don't bother me as much as the flimsy analogue sticks and they're placement. There's definitely room for improvement when PS4 hits the scene.