What are your thoughts on gay people adopting?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 224
    Forum Member
    and just to back that up when my ex and I split up my daughter was bullied at primary school like you wouldn't believe - for NOT having a father at home ...........let alone having two !
  • embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member
    Steve35 wrote: »
    Isn't this site mostly gay people? So we're banging our heads against a brick wall here!

I doubt that.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Isn't this site mostly gay people? So we're banging our heads against a brick wall here!

what difference does that make to sharing opinions?
  • Steve35Steve35 Posts: 2,468
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    emby wrote: »
    I doubt that.

There's a big amount.
    Forum Member
    and just to back that up when my ex and I split up my daughter was bullied at primary school like you wouldn't believe - for NOT having a father at home ...........let alone having two !

So let's all back down and play into the hands of these bullies then? Leave kids in children's home until they're old enough to be forgotten by the state?
    Forum Member
    There's a big amount.

Not the majority though, as you implied.
  • irishguyirishguy Posts: 22,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's a big amount.

Have you been counting? You naughty boy! :p;)
    Forum Member

and selfish gay people to boot Steve
    Forum Member

Why are they selfish?
    Forum Member
    So let's all back down and play into the hands of these bullies then? Leave kids in children's home until they're old enough to be forgotten by the state?

are we talking babies here or young miscreants ?

show me five year old who wouldn't query two dads
    Forum Member
    Why are they selfish?

because you know that two dads aren't the norm

the child will find out that two dads aren't the norm

he will then wonder how he came into existance without a mum _

you're thinking with the hindsight of an adult and for your own benefit

think like a child
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I've got no issue with it. Couples who adopt have to go through many interviews and assessments -- and quite rightly so. Only someone who is serious about adopting and looking after children would do that.

Surely it's better for a child to grow up with such parents (whatever their sexuality) than it is for them to remain in care without any kind of stable home environment.

I've never really understood the "they'll be bullied" argument. How many kids aren't bullied? I was and I grew up with my biological heterosexual parents, as did most kids who got bullied at my school. The fact of the matter is that a lot of kids can be cruel. They'll pick on anything if they really want to have a go at another child. Can you imagine if a straight couple who were considering having their own children decided against it because that child might be bullied at school? The same thing applies here really.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

why would they most 5 year olds are all about love and playing mine has never queried why he doesnt have a dad, or why his friend has two mums, kids dont really think about such things only adults do and its adults that pass down that the idea is wrong when a child does eventually ask
    Forum Member

Lovely terminology there.

Would a five year old really give two stuffs if he/she had two mothers or two fathers? I imagine they've got more pressing things to worry about; like which baddy Batman's going to squish today.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    TWS wrote: »
    why would they most 5 year olds are all about loe and playing mine has never queried why he doesnt have a dad, or why his friend has two mums, kids dont really think about such things only adults do

Agreed. I regularly see what's on CBeebies as my niece and nephew love it. They've got a presenter who was born with one arm, they've got a mix of different races in presenters and characters in the TV shows.

Never once has either my niece or nephew pointed out her arm, or queried differences in races, accents, etc etc. They simply don't seem to notice or, if they do, they don't care. It's parents that instill prejudice in their children.
  • ChristmasCakeChristmasCake Posts: 26,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    green855 wrote: »
    I don't agree with it as a child needs both a mother and father figure.

Your use of the word figure there, actually undermines the point you were trying to make. Because, it's exactly that, it's beneficial to a child to have role models of both genders, however, this does not need to be the primary care givers.
    The child will be confused to the cure being bought up by 2 men.

Confused to the cure?

I think the only one confused here is you.
    It also isn't normal. I'm not trying to be mean or rude but I just don't agree with it.

Statistics have no value. You are trying to place a value on normal that just isn't there.

Also, you're being both mean and rude, but I doubt you actually care about that.

I'm going to get slated for this but I don't believe gay people should be allowed to adopt.

It's a good thing we don't decide things based on your beliefs then.
    Because their guardian is gay that's why. Doesn't it bother you that the child will be confused from a very young age and will not live a normal childhood.

Does Zach Wahls seem confused to you?

I want you try something for me. Before you post, engage your brain. Thanks:).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

think like a child

You sound like someone with limited experience with children. Maybe it's you that needs to think like a child.
    Forum Member

think like a child

Normality is a subjective term, I'm guessing you mean 'common'. Then, yes that's true. Two fathers or two mothers isn't common, but does that mean is a terrible thing?

Surely two loving parents are better than a life spent in a children's home, no?

Do you think same-sex parents lie to their kids? Don't you think that they have these discussions with them? Do you think that children are forced into being adopted by same-sex couples?
  • MuggsyMuggsy Posts: 19,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

think like a child

BIB - So he'll ask his dads, and they'll explain. Why is it an issue?
    Forum Member

Does Zach Wahls seem confused to you?
    QUOTE]

What a lovely young man, bet his mums are so proud of him, i would think any parent would be myself included, hope my boys turn out as well rounded, me being a single parent and all as i know thats fornwed on too:D
  • KidMoeKidMoe Posts: 5,851
    Forum Member

That's such a bullshit reason to oppose gay adoption.

Kids bully other kids because they wear glasses, or because they are wearing the wrong type of trainers. We don't stop kids wearing glasses because they get bullied, do we?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TWS wrote: »

What a lovely young man, bet his mums are so proud of him, i would think any parent would be myself included, hope my boys turn out as well rounded, me being a single parent and all as i know thats fornwed on too:D

What were his selfish mothers thinking eh?
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    KidMoe wrote: »
    That's such a bullshit reason to oppose gay adoption.

Kids bully other kids because they wear glasses, or because they are wearing the wrong type of trainers. We don't stop kids wearing glasses because they get bullied, do we?

I agree

I was beaten up often at school because I was (still am) short I guess my parents could have bought a rack
    Forum Member
    You sound like someone with limited experience with children. Maybe it's you that needs to think like a child.

I did only have two of my own Cake........ '76 & '80, maybe I was born too soon and should have had seven or eight ( you know what it's like nowadays)

I now have four G/children aged 13 , 11 , 5 (boys) and 2 (girl) who are extremely well looked after by my daughter and son-in-law thank you.

The 13 yr old is as cool and pragmatic as they come , the 11 yr old is sensitive and questioning everything that's different , the 5yr old is much the same and the youngest is just , well , just girlie

at 58 I'm past advice thank you
    Forum Member
    I did only have two of my own Cake........ '76 & '80, maybe I was born too soon and should have had seven or eight ( you know what it's like nowadays)

I now have four G/children aged 13 , 11 , 5 (boys) and 2 (girl) who are extremely well looked after by my daughter and son-in-law thank you.

The 13 yr old is as cool and pragmatic as they come , the 11 yr old is sensitive and questioning everything that's different , the 5yr old is much the same and the youngest is just , well , just girlie

at 58 I'm past advice thank you

well lets just hope you havent passed your prejudice onto your own kids and your grandchildren and the world will be a better place for it