Options

Biggest ever F A cup shock day

Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
Forum Member
On some sites they are talking about great F A cup shocks tho years, Colchester v leeds 71, port vale v Spurs mid 80s but when you look at the wealth of today's premier league top players and squads surely today's results surplus that
Well done to Bradford and Middlesbrough proved today that the millionaires can be beaten makes Man U result last night seem excellent in light of today's results

Comments

• Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great results for 'boro and Bradford, wish I had been there at Chelsea to see that match.
    Out go Spurs.
  • Options
    DMN1968DMN1968 Posts: 2,875
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does make me wonder the extent to which the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City are really up for it these days compared to about 20 years ago. Both these teams of course will have the cup lower down the priorities compared to the league and Europe. This is reflected in the team selections, however though even the non-first choice players should clean up against lower league opposition.
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DMN1968 wrote: »
    It does make me wonder the extent to which the likes of Chelsea and Manchester City are really up for it these days compared to about 20 years ago. Both these teams of course will have the cup lower down the priorities compared to the league and Europe. This is reflected in the team selections, however though even the non-first choice players should clean up against lower league opposition.

Chelsea: Cech; Christensen, Zouma, Cahill, Azpilicueta; Ramires, Mikel; Remy, Oscar, Salah; Drogba (c)

Subs: Courtois, Terry, Ake, Fabregas, Loftus-Cheek, Willian, Hazard.

Manchester City

13 Caballero
    05 Zabaleta
    38 Boyata
    04 Kompany Booked
    11 Kolarov
    07 Milner
    06 Fernando (Dzeko - 79' )
    15 Jesús Navas (Lampard - 67' )
    21 Silva
    35 Jovetic (Fernandinho - 67' Booked )
    16 Agüero

Substitutes

01 Hart,
    03 Sagna
    10 Dzeko
    18 Lampard
    22 Clichy
    25 Fernandinho
    26 Demichelis

Looks like a bunch of reserve players to me.... plus everyone knows Mourinho has a thing about cups, he doesn't like losing so to say its lower down his list is purely wrong. As for City, the FA Cup is still as important and that is reflected in his team, if they didn't care you know the likes of Kompany and Aguero would not play especially with that Chelsea match next.
  • Options
    BluescopeBluescope Posts: 3,432
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chelsea let their foot of the gas after going 2-0 up. We all know the manager likes to score early and rest up and hit on the counter. However this game it cost them because Bradford with little to lose in a cup game just attacked them after the second goal.

Man City I blame their oversea's trip for the defeat. They went to Abu Dhabi for so called warm weather training (how does that help you play games in mid Jan in Britain ?). This is why having a winter break would be pointless.

Teams would just schedule these PR, Money grabbing games during the winter break rather than as they claim wanting to rest the players. Well this one has blown back in their face they looked as jet lagged as expected in the second half as you would expect from a squad that only flew in yesterday. Sorry Man City this is all your own fault.

However all the credit really has to go to Bradford and Middlesbrough they did not get luckily at all they where at least equal if not better in Middlesbrough case. On the balance of play this was the right result. This is really what the FA cup is about clubs raising their game beyond the top teams in one match.

What this does mean is it really opens up the FA this season Man Utd to win the FA Cup you know I just have a feeling it might be the case.
  • Options
    Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to be mecenary, but I just keep thinking of the money that could have been made today. Bradford were 28-1 just to win, which is a huge price in itself but imagine what odds you could have got at 2-0 down?! And just doing a simple double or treble( Spurs) or acca (Swansea) would have put you quids in.....

... and yes, both City and Chelsea managers wanted to win.
  • Options
    Summer BreezeSummer Breeze Posts: 4,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry to be mecenary, but I just keep thinking of the money that could have been made today. Bradford were 28-1 just to win, which is a huge price in itself but imagine what odds you could have got at 2-0 down?! And just doing a simple double or treble( Spurs) or acca (Swansea) would have put you quids in.....

Heard that someone 'up north' had a tenner on Bradford to win 4-2 at 300 to 1.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bluescope wrote: »
    Man City I blame their oversea's trip for the defeat. They went to Abu Dhabi for so called warm weather training (how does that help you play games in mid Jan in Britain ?). This is why having a winter break would be pointless.

I assumed that the main reason for the trip was to schmooze their owners and sponsors.
  • Options
    Jamesp84Jamesp84 Posts: 31,233
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bradford were 450/1 at half time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8IXGOGCIAAB5pp.jpg

The above was cashed in before the Liverpool game, he still pocketed just shy of £16k for it.
  • Options
    DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Jamesp84 wrote: »
    Bradford were 450/1 at half time.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B8IXGOGCIAAB5pp.jpg

The above was cashed in before the Liverpool game, he still pocketed just shy of £16k for it.

He will be loving eider gudjonssen at the minute:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,575
    Forum Member
    DMN1968 wrote: »

Hmm, sounds a bit of a cliche, the really top teams not being really up for it.

Re Chelsea and Manchester City one only has to look at the sides they field and in the last 8 seasons Chelsea winning the FA Cup 4 times and City once.

Indeed in the last 20 seasons the FA Cup has been dominated by the big clubs as winners with only Portsmouth and Wigan interloping.

I find it easier to remember in some ways finals from say the 70s when shock wins were more common.

It is actually more often your lower Premier sides that don't seem to give it as much attention, even some who look pretty safe.

While the big sides do of course have big squads, they are populated by winners and put out very competitive sides that they think should win these matches.
    Yes, a day of huge shicks !
  • Options
    JokanovicJokanovic Posts: 12,192
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think Chelsea, or City, can really make any excuses whether up for it or not. Should never lose a 2 goal lead but that's football. Every once in a while this happens.
  • Options
    batdude_uk1batdude_uk1 Posts: 78,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    I assumed that the main reason for the trip was to schmooze their owners and sponsors.

It was a farce, and they got what they deserved, by showing a complete lack of respect for Middlesbrough.
  • Options
    Robbedin73Robbedin73 Posts: 7,859
    Forum Member
    The odds on both Bradford/boro winning were
    280/1 :D
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having just seen the highlights, I don't think Chelsea's first choice defence would have made the kind of mistakes which Bradford took full advantage of today.

I think it's entirely legitimate to question how big a part the weakened team played in the defeat.

Although Jose's saying it was "a disgrace" for Chelsea to lose, his demeanour suggests to me that he's not that bothered by it, in truth.

Ugh, I hate those boisterous, larger than life chairmen like the Bradford one currently on screen at the moment.
  • Options
    Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A further shock- the attendance at Blackburn v Swansea.

I don't know about Spot the Ball, its Spot the Crowd!
  • Options
    Duncan JDuncan J Posts: 2,775
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The big teams all get through and it's, 'it's boring, the same teams always win'. A day of upsets, 'the big teams don't really care'.
  • Options
    chaz richchaz rich Posts: 1,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duncan J wrote: »
    The big teams all get through and it's, 'it's boring, the same teams always win'. A day of upsets, 'the big teams don't really care'.

They basically don't its just at this stage against the calibre of teams they are often playing they usually get through to the next round.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While of course, the scene has changed so much since the 70's, although this sounds like an obvious truism, the difference between the upsets back then and the matches this weekend reflect the way clubs are run and priorities are set these days.

Leeds and Newcastle, for example, fielded their top 12's against Sunderland and Hereford United in those 'upsets' and the clubs / players regarded the FA Cup as a priority as in those days, the disparate financial return for Cup and League success was nothing like it is now.

Division 1 status was as important as Premier League status is now but it was for prestige reasons and not for revenue returns / benefit and the ability / need to keep the gravy train going generating huge income simply to keep paying players vast wages.

And because the financial structure of the competitions was so different, the FA Cup was still REALLY important.

These days, the top clubs will take the FA Cup, if they survive through the early rounds and it gets interesting. But if they get knocked out is anyone seriously going to argue that behind the scenes in those clubs, everyone will be down in the dumps and shaking their heads in disbelief? Will any top manager be under the slightest bit of extra pressure as a result of such a defeat?

That the Cup has been won so many times by the top clubs in the PL era is less a demonstration of those club's commitment to it as a sign of the strength overall of their squads.

Usually, the second tier bench warmers have been way to good for most of the lower clubs.

But, as we saw with Chelsea, it's always possible to have a hiccup if you rotate you squad and put in players who are match rusty, lower division teams who will run their backsides off and take their chances can always sting you.

That those players have enormous price tags on them is not the point. Those hugely inflated values don't mean that at any given time, the players will emerge from substitute lethargy and start playing as if they are in a CL final.

Compare Chelsea's first choice 11 against Bradford and Leeds against Sunderland (and let's not forget Wimbledon too). Compare Costa and Hazard as 1st choice players against Clarke and Jones (Leeds' 1st choice selections) but not against an ageing Drogba and Salah, still dusting off the cobwebs of a match minutes free existence so far this season.

In Manchester City's case, what could demonstrate the way things are run these days better than the example of the squad flying 6 hours out and back to the Middle East to meet sponsor requirements and returning one day before a Cup match?

Will they be doing that before their next CL match? I doubt it very much and that says it all.

In my view, we can applaud the endeavours of the likes of Bradford City and Middlesbrough but these are less upsets to me as those sides making the most of opportunities presented by the way the PL clubs have dealt with the fixture.

Although it pains me to say so as I am literally, an FA Cup child of the 60's and 70's, the media can try and tell us all they want that the Cup is important but ironically, the huge popularity worldwide for English football created in large part by the FA Cup has lead to the orgy of TV rights monies flowing back into league football to the point where the priorities have shifted inexorably and exponentially and these will not change back again until the day the money dries up and that ain't about to happen any time soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    tennisman wrote: »
    While of course, the scene has changed so much since the 70's, although this sounds like an obvious truism, the difference between the upsets back then and the matches this weekend reflect the way clubs are run and priorities are set these days.

Leeds and Newcastle, for example, fielded their top 12's against Sunderland and Hereford United in those 'upsets' and the clubs / players regarded the FA Cup as a priority as in those days, the disparate financial return for Cup and League success was nothing like it is now.

Division 1 status was as important as Premier League status is now but it was for prestige reasons and not for revenue returns / benefit and the ability / need to keep the gravy train going generating huge income simply to keep paying players vast wages.

And because the financial structure of the competitions was so different, the FA Cup was still REALLY important.

These days, the top clubs will take the FA Cup, if they survive through the early rounds and it gets interesting. But if they get knocked out is anyone seriously going to argue that behind the scenes in those clubs, everyone will be down in the dumps and shaking their heads in disbelief? Will any top manager be under the slightest bit of extra pressure as a result of such a defeat?

That the Cup has been won so many times by the top clubs in the PL era is less a demonstration of those club's commitment to it as a sign of the strength overall of their squads.

Usually, the second tier bench warmers have been way to good for most of the lower clubs.

But, as we saw with Chelsea, it's always possible to have a hiccup if you rotate you squad and put in players who are match rusty, lower division teams who will run their backsides off and take their chances can always sting you.

That those players have enormous price tags on them is not the point. Those hugely inflated values don't mean that at any given time, the players will emerge from substitute lethargy and start playing as if they are in a CL final.

Compare Chelsea's first choice 11 against Bradford and Leeds against Sunderland (and let's not forget Wimbledon too). Compare Costa and Hazard as 1st choice players against Clarke and Jones (Leeds' 1st choice selections) but not against an ageing Drogba and Salah, still dusting off the cobwebs of a match minutes free existence so far this season.

In Manchester City's case, what could demonstrate the way things are run these days better than the example of the squad flying 6 hours out and back to the Middle East to meet sponsor requirements and returning one day before a Cup match?

Will they be doing that before their next CL match? I doubt it very much and that says it all.

In my view, we can applaud the endeavours of the likes of Bradford City and Middlesbrough but these are less upsets to me as those sides making the most of opportunities presented by the way the PL clubs have dealt with the fixture.

Although it pains me to say so as I am literally, an FA Cup child of the 60's and 70's, the media can try and tell us all they want that the Cup is important but ironically, the huge popularity worldwide for English football created in large part by the FA Cup has lead to the orgy of TV rights monies flowing back into league football to the point where the priorities have shifted inexorably and exponentially and these will not change back again until the day the money dries up and that ain't about to happen any time soon.

Good points as usual Tennisman. On another subject I have just noticed that your blog gets a mention in last year's Wisden. Well done.
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    david1955 wrote: »
    Good points as usual Tennisman. On another subject I have just noticed that your blog gets a mention in last year's Wisden. Well done.

Thanks David :)
  • Options
    celesticelesti Posts: 26,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whatever stops me being reminded of Sutton f'n United.
  • Options
    roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Surprised that Burnley 0 v Wimbledon 1 wasnt mentioned as Wimbledon were non league at that time & Burnley were div 1.
    or going back to 1953 Man U 1, Walthamstow 1,.. Walthamstow were an amateur team, which are no longer allowed into the FA cup.