Walking Dead - Season 5 (US Sun/UK Mon) - No Spoilers

Comments

• shelleyj89shelleyj89 Posts: 16,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    While Maggie is still no doubt upset, they have travelled 500 miles through the ZA since the last episode so it's probably been weeks rather than days since Beth died.

Ah, that is a very valid point that I didn't think of. I did wonder why Rick's beard had suddenly grown a few more CMs. :D
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2shy2007 wrote: »
    Oh, and why werent the bottom halves moving I wonder?
    Because the guiding "intelligence" of the walkers still originates in the brain just as it did when they were alive.

That intelligence still needs to send instructions to the rest of the body (one assume still via the nervous system) to get it to do anything, just as ours does. So if you remove a part of the body from that command network it no longer receives any orders and does nothing. Also this is why "killing" or destroying the brain caused the whole body to shut down, no more instructions, no more movement.*

Cut off a foot, a leg or the entire lower body and it's no longer part of a "living" walker, it's just a lump of meat.

If you cut the head off everything below the cut is no longer receiving commands, it's just dead. However the spark of life remains in the head and so heads still bite, as we have seen.

If every single cell of a walkers body carried it's own spark and basic drives there would be headless walkers, legs, hands and even single fingers wriggling about blindly. Maybe even zombie hair...

*I've always been a little unsure why stabbing with a thin blade kills a walker instantly, it seems to me that enough brain would be left to do something. After all human beings have taken injuries (such as a stabbings, a stroke or even a gun shots) to the brain and still lived. Yes they have been severely (and literally) "brain damaged" afterwards but they have been able to walk and maybe talk. Some have recovered considerably in time as the brain rewired itself. Seems to be that a quick stab through the eye is risky, crushing the brain completely to mush with a sledgehamer is clearly the safer bet. :D
  • BLADESMAN1889BLADESMAN1889 Posts: 657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Repost (I posted on wrong thread)

Hmmm,

Firstly, just to clarify that I have watched this show from episode 1 on a week by week basis. I was waiting with much anticipation for the return of this current season.

I feel a little let down by last night's episode - even though I knew it would not be able to live up to the part 1 finale.

I personally felt far too much time was spent on charactor development. I spent much of the episode concentrating on the plot holes...

We know that it is automatic instinct for any of the established characters to do a externa/internal recon of ANY building they are about to enter - familiar or unknown, ESPECIALLY the unknown !

So why does Tyreese suddenly abandon these instincts ? He does the initial check of banging on the windows before entering to draw out any wandering walkers - none appear so he goes inside...

This is where huge plot hole screams out at any knowledgeable fan, upon entering the house he then fails to do any further sweep of the house/rooms. I've seen discussion citing that there was no need for an internal sweep as no walkers showed at the sound of the outside bang.

But... how many occasions have the group come across trapped walkers inside rooms ? Tyreese would NOT have forgotten to do a check - his life depended on these basic rules.

How did the child & secondary walker sneak up without Tyreese hearing any sound ?. These walkers are NOT trained in stealth tactics, they snarl & shuffle around loudly as they are without brain function.

Also I don't think that the group would have split as they were going into unknown territory so safety in numbers.

Apart from this I gave the episode an 8 out of ten.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So why does Tyreese suddenly abandon these instincts ? He does the initial check of banging on the windows before entering to draw out any wandering walkers - none appear so he goes inside...

To be fair Tyreese has never really looked like his has such instincts, he generally looks confused and bemused and is often the last member of any party he's with to leap into killing machine mode when attacked. For months now he's looked to have been living on borrowed time. I would never have taken him on a trip, he's far better at home looking after Judith.

I think that was largely the point of the episode, he's always held on to the fact that the world is still a place where "nice" people can still survive. Yet the show is increasingly showing that the only way to be safe is to be a sociopath. Nearly every reasonable, optimistic, mild mannered survivors that showed up has been killed off and those that remain (especially Rick, Carol and Carl) are turning into monsters. Assuming everyone is out to get you and turning them away rather than welcoming them in, killing sick people for the greater good, believing that the kid was reaching for his gun to shoot you rather than hand it over and surrender.

The b@stards shall inherit the earth...all the meek are going to get is eaten.
  • logansdadlogansdad Posts: 1,068
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So far there's been 3 actors from The Wire in this, Tyrese/Cuddy,Carver/Abraham and D'Angelo/Bob. I'm hoping McNulty shows up soon asking "What the **** did i do?"

Also, I read that Ross Marquand has joined the show, check him out on YouTube, he's an amazing impressionist
  • peach45peach45 Posts: 9,426
    Forum Member
    logansdad wrote: »
    So far there's been 3 actors from The Wire in this, Tyrese/Cuddy,Carver/Abraham and D'Angelo/Bob. I'm hoping McNulty shows up soon asking "What the **** did i do?"

Hmm Seth Gilliam who was Det Carver in The Wire is Cowardly Father Gabriel in this.

The guy playing Abraham, Michael Cudlitz was in Southland and Band of Brothers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My bad, you're right!
    Forum Member
    No worries. Would love if others from The Wire joined TWD. Imagine Kima beating down on walkers, or my personal favourite, Michael K. Williams shouting "Undead scum, Omar comin yo" .:D
  • koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    peach45 wrote: »
    No worries. Would love if others from The Wire joined TWD. Imagine Kima beating down on walkers, or my personal favourite, Michael K. Williams shouting "Undead scum, Omar comin yo" .:D

Or one character killing the Walkers and saying 'SHIIIIITTTTTT'.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wasn't Father Abraham in the Smurfs??:)

Omar and Rick Grimes together! Now thats a show. Survivors throwing supplies out of windows as they walk by!

Gonna start thinking that the zombie apocalypse is just what happens when Hamsterdam goes unchecked.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swingaleg wrote: »
    I saw a trailer for an upcoming series on Sky One which he was in....Critical, looks like a medical drama
    http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tv/news/a626846/sky1-announces-launch-date-for-jed-mercurios-critical.html
  • loracanloracan Posts: 914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Enjoyed this episode very much more on a rewatch, bit too much chopping (!) and changing first time around but made more sense the second time. Outstanding effects as usual.

Pity more wasn't made of Tyreese, but his more substantial role in the comics has been taken up by Daryl really. I'll never forget his singlehandedly demolishing that crowd of walkers with a hammer in Isolation (s04e03) though. One of the best moments in the entire series for me.
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I felt bad for Tyreese but it was inevitable. I saw this episode also as a reminder of how far everyone has come and what had to be sacrificed along the way. Tyreese had to go too because he was really the last vestige of pre- civilisation and the group has gone passed that now. Rick held out but ultimately he learned to accept the world now and learned survival requires doing bad things. Tyreese could never hope to get into that mentality and thusly he didn't fit in with the group any more. He wasn't going to be thrown out as he was part of the gang so that left only death for him.

What this means now for them is up in the air. I would say losing Tyreese is going to put the Priest in a much less tangible position. Tyreese might have fought for his corner but the rest are more pragmatic and likely to drop him if need be. At best anyway. At worst that Priest is easily friendly fire fodder for the group. Eugene is also at serious risk but to a much lesser extent as he has proven he is willing to do things to survive that may be seen as morally ambiguous.

Beth was also more beholden to the old world and it makes sense she too had to go last episode. The group dynamics have been changed and the group needs to change for it.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can see a cull coming :(

Two offed in consecutive episodes, it's not coming... it's happening right now! A biggie in the season finale I reckon. Get your bets in...

Carol 2/1
    Glenn 3/1
    Maggie 7/2
    Glenn AND Maggie 8/1
    Carl 10/1
    Daryl 25/1
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    Two offed in consecutive episodes, it's not coming... it's happening right now! A biggie in the season finale I reckon. Get your bets in...

Carol 2/1
    Glenn 3/1
    Maggie 7/2
    Glenn AND Maggie 8/1
    Carl 10/1
    Daryl 25/1

...none of these will be killed off - they are all major characters!

There would be an uproar if Daryl was written off so we can discount him pretty much straight away!
    Forum Member

Carol 2/1
    Glenn 3/1
    Maggie 7/2
    Glenn AND Maggie 8/1
    Carl 10/1
    Daryl 25/1

Season finale? Hopefully Maggie or Glenn then, but I doubt it :(

Anytime before that, the newcomers are cannon fodder, Rosita, does she have a point? Noah, Father Gabriel, Eugene they could go.

How about Baby Judith? :o Will she even survive without her Tyreese?

Daryl or Michonne and there will be hell to pay >:(
  • TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Carol 2/1
    Glenn 3/1
    Maggie 7/2
    Glenn AND Maggie 8/1
    Carl 10/1
    Daryl 25/1

I'm willing to bet on Glenn. My son reacted badly when Glenn picked up a baseball bat and again when we saw the physical state of Noah's mother. After his explanation, I now worry for Glenn's fate. :D
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Carol 2/1
    Glenn 3/1
    Maggie 7/2
    Glenn AND Maggie 8/1
    Carl 10/1
    Daryl 25/1

I can see a Bonnie and Clyde style exit for Maggie and Glen at the end of this season.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And Noah, the boy annoys me intensely, it's like he has only just awoken in the middle of the apocalypse.

To be fair he was trapped in that hospital since the outbreak, which means he hadn't seen his family - and life outside the city - for what, a year?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Apparently Greg Nicotero confirmed on the companion show The Talking Dead that the voice on the radio was Andrew Lincoln

Ah, thank you. Nice Easter egg. :D
  • SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...none of these will be killed off - they are all major characters!

There would be an uproar if Daryl was written off so we can discount him pretty much straight away!

The show's been killing "major characters" since it started. The only ones I see as 100% safe to the final episode are Rick and Carl.

As for Daryl, I don't think he'll die this season, but I also don't think his large fandom will stop him from ever dying. I'd like him to die, to see the reaction and because I find him to be massively overrated. :D
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    To be fair he was trapped in that hospital since the outbreak, which means he hadn't seen his family - and life outside the city - for what, a year?

Not totally clear on Noah's back story (ie how he ended up in Atlanta and the Hospital) but he had certainly been with his Mother and Brothers post outbreak as he mentions when they got close to his former home and encountered the rope/wire barricade that they had been planning on putting that up when he left.

So unless that community was really unfriendly pre ZA then he had to have been there after the outbreak :D
  • deans6571deans6571 Posts: 6,137
    Forum Member
    The show's been killing "major characters" since it started. The only ones I see as 100% safe to the final episode are Rick and Carl.
    . :D

...actually yea, you're right :blush: Hershal and The Governor spring to mind!!

I guess The Walking Dead is really based on Rick's journey, right from day one when he awoke in the hospital all alone, so there is no chance that he will be killed off!!

Actually, come to think of it, why wasn't Rick attacked (and probably killed) by the zombies whilst he was unconscious in the hospital bed - we were never told how long he was in that bed. Wasn't the hospital overrun by zombies by the time he woke up?! :confused:
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Takae wrote: »

I think he told Beth he was out gathering supplies when he got hurt. As we know from when they picked up Beth, the cops went quite far from Atlanta looking for supplies and people.
    Also, Noah mentions that they (the community) had wanted to erect the rope fence in the woods. So he must have been there after the outbreak.

Question is: Was that a break in? As in raided by whoever cut up those zombies. New bad guy(s)? Or a break out? After someone died naturally/murder and turned several people and the fit hit the shan.
  • Danger CloseDanger Close Posts: 3,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    deans6571 wrote: »
    ...actually yea, you're right :blush: Hershal and The Governor spring to mind!!

I guess The Walking Dead is really based on Rick's journey, right from day one when he awoke in the hospital all alone, so there is no chance that he will be killed off!!

Actually, come to think of it, why wasn't Rick attacked (and probably killed) by the zombies whilst he was unconscious in the hospital bed - we were never told how long he was in that bed. Wasn't the hospital overrun by zombies by the time he woke up?! :confused:

Shane barricaded his room at the hospital and left with Lori and Carl when things got hairy.