Options

The Romanians Are Coming: Channel 4 9pm

Comments

• Options
    koantemplationkoantemplation Posts: 101,293
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is from New Zealand but the principle applies here.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/news/article.cfm?c_id=3&objectid=10778932
    Chinese chefs working here are being asked to accept pay cuts or face losing their jobs, because of hundreds of Chinese chefs entering the country under the free trade agreement with China.

This ready supply of chefs, some of whom may be prepared to work for less than the minimum wage, could put chefs out of work here, the National Distribution Union said. As part of the agreement, a fixed quota of Chinese workers - including 200 chefs - is allowed here under a special immigration work category.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    But that does not affect or erode our right as UK citizens to be paid the minimum wage.

Of course it does.

If there are workers prepared to accept less than minimum wage, then employers are going to take them, even if it is illegal, and then the rights gets eroded.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    And here is an article sort of saying what I'm trying to say.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2014/jan/02/curb-immigration-pay-workers-living-wage
    Labour's pitch on immigration is counter-intuitive: enforce decent pay and conditions and fewer migrants will come. Once British people with families could afford to take those jobs, employers would lose any incentive to recruit cheap workers abroad. Stop bad employers undercutting decent pay with imported near-slave labour. As a message it may not quite work politically as it doesn't satisfy the gut fears of the Ukip-inclined, but it has the advantage of taking real action against a real problem. Labour's new determination to enforce minimum pay inspections and spread gangmaster legislation to construction and hospitality is more than welcome: Tony Blair and Gordon Brown adamantly refused both, appeasing employers with lax regulation.
  • Options
    jioscarjioscar Posts: 1,438
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What the hell is this Country coming to they shouldn't be allowed in let alone give them money close the doors
  • Options
    zsazsazsazsazsazsazsazsa Posts: 667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzy50 wrote: »
    Did you miss the actual statistics?

EU immigrants pay more in taxes than they receive in benefits and there is no reason to think that Romanians will be any different.

But hey - why let that spoil a good old evening of foreigner-bashing.

I don't believe this, I think it is government spin and manipulating the figures to try and appease the taxpayer. There has been a lot about this both in the media and Migration Watch has issued figures stating that migrants receive more in benefits than they actually contribute. They can claim for their kids in their home country - altho no one checks if they do actually have kids in their home country . Where I live it is now only Romanians that are selling The Big Issue. The Big Issue was supposed to be a stepping stone for those that were homeless to get back on their feet, now it is Romanian that are controlling who is/isn't a seller. Once Romanians become a seller they can apply for the benefits they were not entitled to before.
  • Options
    Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just watched this tonight and it's pretty troubling really!

I will start by saying that a friend and I drove through a part of our town centre the other day that we hadn't been down in a month or two and was shocked to see homeless people and even tents pitched up - I am now wondering if this is Romanians arriving in our town!

I came back from the West Indies the other day and at passport control I saw a West Indian guy (fluent English speaking of course) being given some serious interrogation as he had come to spend a month with family here - now how can it be right to do this to a guy like him yet acceptable to let a van load of toothless, in bred looking Romanian Gypsies over the border who speak not a word of English and have not a penny to scratch their behinds with!

As a woman I did find it disconcerting to hear them sleazily salivating over the women of the UK and how they want to give UK women a seeing to!

I too am puzzled to know how a homeless person gets a bank account. benefits and gets past the address part of any employment forms!.

I can't understand what the hell the point is of Westminster Council giving road sweepers a rubbish zero hour contract! They need to be local to the job because a) they need to be there at 5am each day to try and secure work and b) its too expensive to be commuting on train and tube yet the job is in Westminster where nobody on that kind of income can afford to rent or buy a place to live for miles around!

I think the message needs to be got out there loud and clear that we can't sustain masses of large Romanian families here, they need to understand that there is no point setting off to come here when they can't speak and degree of English as they can never gain lawful employment, they need to understand that there is no point flocking to big cities like Liverpool and London because they are unlikely to get jobs that pay enough for them to rent somewhere to live in those places!

It makes me laugh about the car wash thing they keep all trying to jump on the wagon of! God almighty our town is being absolutely saturated by these hand car washes being opened by people from all over middle eastern Europe!
  • Options
    vauxhall1964vauxhall1964 Posts: 10,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't believe this, I think it is government spin and manipulating the figures to try and appease the taxpayer. .

Well then a conversation about this with you is pointless if you refuse to believe the truth because it doesn't fit with your prejudices. Think about it. EU migrants are overwhelmingly a) working b) young and healthy c) single when they get here. So of course they contribute more than they take it; it's obvious even if you refuse to see it.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    Of course it does.

If there are workers prepared to accept less than minimum wage, then employers are going to take them, even if it is illegal, and then the rights gets eroded.

It's opportunities for employment that may be getting eroded, not rights. Nothing bad is happening to our rights.
  • Options
    valkayvalkay Posts: 15,726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In Leicester female workers in textile factories are being paid £3 per hour, they are mostly Asian who don't speak English or know about workers rights, the factory owners are also Asian.
  • Options
    80sfan80sfan Posts: 18,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I came back from the West Indies the other day and at passport control I saw a West Indian guy (fluent English speaking of course) being given some serious interrogation as he had come to spend a month with family here - now how can it be right to do this to a guy like him yet acceptable to let a van load of toothless, in bred looking Romanian Gypsies over the border who speak not a word of English and have not a penny to scratch their behinds with!

Completely agree with you Jules and this is why we need to leave the failed EU and reclaim the border of the United Kingdom and then once again have the right to tell these van loads of scrounging Romanians they are neither needed or wanted here and send them packing to France.

Romania should never have been allowed in the European Union. If Germany wants enlargement and open borders, then Merkel & Co can house these people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jjwales wrote: »
    It's opportunities for employment that may be getting eroded, not rights. Nothing bad is happening to our rights.

Yes, no one is having to work for their benefits, and no one is working for less than minimum wage, etc. rolleyes.
  • Options
    DianaFireDianaFire Posts: 12,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    [...]

As a woman I did find it disconcerting to hear them sleazily salivating over the women of the UK and how they want to give UK women a seeing to!

Do you speak Romanian, then?
    I can't understand what the hell the point is of Westminster Council giving road sweepers a rubbish zero hour contract! They need to be local to the job because a) they need to be there at 5am each day to try and secure work and b) its too expensive to be commuting on train and tube yet the job is in Westminster where nobody on that kind of income can afford to rent or buy a place to live for miles around!

Buses run through the night.
  • Options
    dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it annoying and switched off soon after it started
  • Options
    GroutyGrouty Posts: 34,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are You Ready! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    That fella with the teeth who took the broken kid's scooter home and fixed it... had me close to tears. Poor sod. You can't blame them for wanting a better life over here, even though the reality is it doesn't often work out.
  • Options
    oathyoathy Posts: 32,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The more I see The more convinced Romania should never have been allowed to join the EU. Complete joke
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The voice over guy is hilarious.

Shame these Romanians wanting to work in the UK but send their income home isn't.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Care home say no more.
    Its just like the Bunkhouse Culture.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Here we go "sharing a house". Lets see if they talk about the financial setup ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    she's gutted. Had a nice home back in Romania
  • Options
    wear thefoxhatwear thefoxhat Posts: 3,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    oathy wrote: »
    she's gutted. Had a nice home back in Romania

i thought the same, her house in Romania was nicer than that dump.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    argggh! its that **** with his arse out! mute! mute! :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i thought the same, her house in Romania was nicer than that dump.

If its the same setup they used for the polish agencies most of her Money will be going to pay board/utility bills. She will get paid below minimum wage using the fact they set her up in a house as a legal reason meaning they bypass the costs employing someone from the UK will entail ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do many of these do any research before coming over? That nurse is obviously well off in Romania. How much money is she promised working in the UK?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Id have stayed in Romania :p