Options

Toshiba A300D BSOD after updates on both 64 and 32 bit versions of Windows 7

max_dbmax_db Posts: 3,892
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi all, I was recently given a laptop to reinstall Windows 7 on to and for some unknown reason once it does the first set of Windows updates it blue screens on load up and keeps rebooting. I tried reinstalling it with the 64 bit version instead of the 32 bit version and it just does the same thing after that's updated too.

It works absolutely fine until it updates and then this happens, I've tried reinstalling it several times but times but getting nowhere.

Does anyone have ideas how I can find out what's going on and how to stop this happening? It also blue screens before it loads into Safe Mode too. Really annoying. >:(

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just to add, I've replaced the memory and even the hard drive. Same thing occurs!
  • Options
    chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it BSODs does it immediately reboot or does the message stay up on screen long enough for you to read it?

If you google the codes that come after the word STOP you might find out what is causing it and if you are lucky how to fix it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    When it BSODs does it immediately reboot or does the message stay up on screen long enough for you to read it?

If you google the codes that come after the word STOP you might find out what is causing it and if you are lucky how to fix it.

Hi Chris, it reboots immediately and if you blinked you wouldn't even see the BSOD, I have no idea what it says as it's far too quick for me to see it.
  • Options
    StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max_db wrote: »
    Hi Chris, it reboots immediately and if you blinked you wouldn't even see the BSOD, I have no idea what it says as it's far too quick for me to see it.

You can stop it rebooting after a blue screen.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/windows7/ht/automatic-restart-windows-7.htm
  • Options
    RobinOfLoxleyRobinOfLoxley Posts: 27,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supposedly, you can repeatedly tap F8 and Disable Automatic Restart from the Repair Menu.
    (or you can do it in Windows if you could boot into Windows).

But often the setting is ignored (I don't know why).

Can you take a mobile phone piccie or video to find out the error code(s)?
  • Options
    s2ks2k Posts: 7,421
    Forum Member
    There were a handful of updates a while back that caused havoc with certain drivers - in particular relating to USB controllers, NIC and sound card. In most cases they just stopped working but it could be related to the BSOD.

In my case the KB numbers I found were known to cause issues were:

KB2862330
    KB2913602
    KB2862335

In certain systems the problem was only apparent on older BIOS versions so updating to the latest revision may also help if you are confident doing that. Bear in mind if you somehow manage to apply the wrong BIOS patch you could brick the system so proceed with caution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Supposedly, you can repeatedly tap F8 and Disable Automatic Restart from the Repair Menu.
    (or you can do it in Windows if you could boot into Windows).

But often the setting is ignored (I don't know why).

Can you take a mobile phone piccie or video to find out the error code(s)?

Hi, OK so I did what you said and disabled the automatic shut down and now it stays on the blue screen and doesn't very quickly flash up a blue screen and reboot.

Here is a picture of the blue screen:

http://i.imgur.com/wjTYEBG.jpg
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The error suggests the boot device, likely the hard disk controller.

The A300D is a very old PC. Something is in the back of my mind about a change in standards...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First Youtube vid sggests BIOS > Change AHCI to IDE.

Microsoft link suggests F6 (during install) and find some OEM drivers.

I didn't read any other links.

Good luck. I can't help any more beyond what Google says

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=0x0000007b&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&gws_rd=cr&ei=Mf3kVM3aG4GqU4avgJgE
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First Youtube vid sggests BIOS > Change AHCI to IDE.

Yep, that was what I was trying to remember.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you all very very much, you are all absolute legends.

I went into BIOS and changed it from AHCI to 'compatibility' and it's worked. That was the only other option.

I very much appreciate all your help guys and I wish you all the very best.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All down to your photography skills :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    max_db wrote: »
    Thank you all very very much, you are all absolute legends.

I went into BIOS and changed it from AHCI to 'compatibility' and it's worked. That was the only other option.

I very much appreciate all your help guys and I wish you all the very best.

There is a way of changing it back to AHCI after the installation. If you do some Googling you should find it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stig wrote: »
    There is a way of changing it back to AHCI after the installation. If you do some Googling you should find it.

It's OK, I'm not going to mess with it and risk it going back to how it was. It's all working perfectly now so I'm happy with that.

Thanks again to all and I hope you all have a great day.