Doc Martin (Part 14 — Spoilers)

Comments

• marchrandmarchrand Posts: 879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    As for where they will live -- I'm still betting that they wind up on the farm (with surgery still in Fern Cottage). But I hope White Rose Cottage is available again for filming -- that was a nice place and seems bigger than where Louisa currently lives.

NewPark - Hmmm, the farm, ideal for James Henry to run around and be amongst some farm animals. Seems to me that no one drives a car to the surgery, except maybe Caroline, or Edith:eek: The doc at the surgery has only a two space parking spot, one for him and one for a patient. When the doc went to see his Aunt Joan or Aunt Ruth at the farm he always drove, so it must be a distance. I agree with you that the farm would be ideal for home, but the surgery should stay at Fern Cottage, for the convenient walking distance for his non-driving, or non-car ownership of a car of his PW patients. As to White Rose Cottage, I would love that place to be incorporated in the storyline for S6.

As for MC aging, well, I have gotten used to the grayer hair, but notice that in his recent ITV work he went back to putting a little color in it. As for his looks, he has gotten handsomer as the years have passed, plus the fact that he keeps fit (unlike many men nowadays who get portly when arriving in their 50's).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As for where they will live -- I'm still betting that they wind up on the farm (with surgery still in Fern Cottage). But I hope White Rose Cottage is available again for filming -- that was a nice place and seems bigger than where Louisa currently lives.

I hope they'll liv in White Rose Cottage and not the farm. Don't think I want to see a Green Acres scenario.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,018
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ReneeBird wrote: »
    Hi guys! Check this out! Doc Martin on a cappuccino cup, and in Southern California, USA! :D:D:D
    http://twitter.com/max_minghella/status/268169481673650176/photo/1

Hi, ReneeBird, glad you're back.

Cool coffee cup with Doc's image on it. I want one (filled with espresso maybe?).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope they'll liv in White Rose Cottage and not the farm. Don't think I want to see a Green Acres scenario.

No flapjacks, Arnold the pig, Mr. Haney? :D I guess Martin would get allergic smelling hay. Darling, I love you, but give me (insert swanky London street) Avenue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marchrand wrote: »
    As for his looks, he has gotten handsomer as the years have passed, plus the fact that he keeps fit (unlike many men nowadays who get portly when arriving in their 50's).

I do so agree. He looks better all the time to me. And the grayer (or whiter) his hair gets, the better I like it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, ReneeBird. I was just thinking about you this morning and hoping your absence was temporary!
    Biffpup wrote: »
    Hi, ReneeBird, glad you're back.

Cool coffee cup with Doc's image on it. I want one (filled with espresso maybe?).

Thanks NewPark and Biffpup! I want one of those cups too. I bet stateside fan could get us one! :cool:;):)
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still believe they won't wind up at the farm, and I guess I'm the only one who believes that is a really bad idea, and very improbable. Doc Martin would never go, he'd hate it, Auth Ruth lives there and it looks from S5 she is staying and even developing Al to be her farm's manager.

Remember, DM hates PW, even living in the village. He'd hate living on the moor even more. He could not walk and get his fresh dinner or do his errands; it would be terribly inconvenient. He could not walk to see the vast majority of his patients. There's plenty of play land to take SH, such as on the top of their fictional hill where there is no hotel but an open bluff.

I can still imagine that there is going to be trouble between DM and LG. He asks for her hand in marriage and she agrees, and we see him work hard but struggle to be a good lover/partner, and they don't get married. He declares, essentially his love in S4 finale and we get the yucky S5 where he too over-repressed. We get his declaration again of his love and how "nothing else matters" but so far, we've been trained to realize in that in reality, DM does very little change based on his verbal epiphanies. (And remember we really need LG to change quite a bit too for things to be successful, easy and smooth for them as a couple). One wonders that although they will be married, what personality quirks are going to continue?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmDerdekea wrote: »
    I still believe they won't wind up at the farm, and I guess I'm the only one who believes that is a really bad idea, and very improbable. Doc Martin would never go, he'd hate it, Auth Ruth lives there and it looks from S5 she is staying and even developing Al to be her farm's manager.

Remember, DM hates PW, even living in the village. He'd hate living on the moor even more. He could not walk and get his fresh dinner or do his errands; it would be terribly inconvenient. He could not walk to see the vast majority of his patients. There's plenty of play land to take SH, such as on the top of their fictional hill where there is no hotel but an open bluff.

I can still imagine that there is going to be trouble between DM and LG. He asks for her hand in marriage and she agrees, and we see him work hard but struggle to be a good lover/partner, and they don't get married. He declares, essentially his love in S4 finale and we get the yucky S5 where he too over-repressed. We get his declaration again of his love and how "nothing else matters" but so far, we've been trained to realize in that in reality, DM does very little change based on his verbal epiphanies. (And remember we really need LG to change quite a bit too for things to be successful, easy and smooth for them as a couple). One wonders that although they will be married, what personality quirks are going to continue?

You aren't alone. I can't see them anywhere, really, except the surgery in S6. Take a look at the previous posts from today and you'll see that some people like the farm idea, some don't. And some are wondering about the possibility of White Rose Cottage. The most amusing "nay" to the farm came from statesidefan, who doesn't want them reliving Green Acres :).

I understand your point when you say you can see how DM might propose marriage but struggle to be a good lover/partner and, in the end, they don't marry. But the new ITV press release tells us they will marry at the start, so apparently the struggle will come afterwards. Maybe they will each attempt to change and be unsuccessful. Or maybe these two will eventually just accept themselves and each other as they are and "go with the flow". Or maybe not. I'll be wringing my hands as we see what happens.
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I agree that we won't see them living there -- not in the run of the series. But in the fictional world of PortWenn, which, much like Christopher Robin and his bear, goes on forever -- I see that Aunt Ruth being mortal, sooner or later
    a disposition must be made of the farm. DM can still have his surgery in Fern Cottage -- why not? and from that position can walk to see patients, pick up fish for dinner, etc., etc., driving home after work like most other people. It's a great spot and the right talents could make it a stunning home for a family with a couple of kids, an au pair, and a farm manager.

I agree that married or not, their relationship will continue to be difficult. But I hope that is really not the focus of S6. Although I don't have a clue as to what else would be.

I do think his epiphany at the Castle was different in kind to the big moments of S3 and S4, less driven and followed by a kind of commitment that was absent in S4 -- "I will always...." and they can build on that, with work.
  • lemsterlemster Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    As someone suggested a week or so ago, DM’s behavior when living in the surgery with LG was not as (outgoing, warm, connected, supportive – I can’t seem to come up with the correct word) as he was in when in White Rose Cottage. In the surgery he was Dr. Ellingham, at White Rose he was Martin.
    So I’d like them to live in White Rose, at least til the London issue is sorted. I don’t know if it would be a great place to raise a child and I really would like to see them locate somewhere where DM isn’t having to duck his head getting through doorways.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »
    As someone suggested a week or so ago, DM’s behavior when living in the surgery with LG was not as (outgoing, warm, connected, supportive – I can’t seem to come up with the correct word) as he was in when in White Rose Cottage. In the surgery he was Dr. Ellingham, at White Rose he was Martin.
    So I’d like them to live in White Rose, at least til the London issue is sorted. I don’t know if it would be a great place to raise a child and I really would like to see them locate somewhere where DM isn’t having to duck his head getting through doorways.

How about if long after we've stopped seeing these episodes, after the show is over, and Martin is heading up surgery at the regional hospital at Truro, they build a new house on the farmland, over there where the view of the sea is so beautiful? Ruth stays in the farmhouse and, as she ages, they're close by to take care of her.

Or they go to London.

Why do I think about things like this?

Anyhoo, S6 = the PW surgery.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lemster wrote: »

lemster, I meant to also say that you and the people who discussed the fact that the surgery means DM's "turf" are right. I went through that sort of thing when I first married, moved briefly into an apartment that was my new husband's turf, and thought during that short time that I had made a big mistake. When we soon afterward moved into a new place, our place, things were okay.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks NewPark and Biffpup! I want one of those cups too. I bet stateside fan could get us one! :cool:;):)

Hi, folks, I will look into whether I can get these cups at a Starbucks tomorrow. If they're readily available, I'll get a bunch - and if anyone wants one I'll send them to you!
  • Mutley8Mutley8 Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    Hi, folks, I will look into whether I can get these cups at a Starbucks tomorrow. If they're readily available, I'll get a bunch - and if anyone wants one I'll send them to you!

G'day from down under.:p
    Still lurking around in the back ground. :o
    I'm going to be in America in a couple of weeks.:D
    Do you know if these cups wlll still be available at Satrbucks in or around L.A.
    If so I can try to grab some for the fans from oz
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Biffpup wrote: »
    I do so agree. He looks better all the time to me. And the grayer (or whiter) his hair gets, the better I like it.

I notice his weight more than the aging. In series 4 he is decidedly thinner than other series but his weight really fluctuates through all of the series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you have time this weekend watch:
    Series 2 Episode 6: The Family Way
    Director: Ben Bolt

Writers: Dominic Minghella & Edana Minghella

Martin's cold and difficult parents come to stay with him. He hasn't seen them for seven years, and is puzzled as to why they should turn up out of the blue. Mark and Julie get engaged. Danny Steel's lung collapses whilst renovating a house and Martin examines a woman with what she claims is a thyroid, but the results turn out to be rather different.

Special guests: John Woodvine & Claire Bloom
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    If you have time this weekend watch:
    Series 2 Episode 6: The Family Way

Incredibly well written.

I am amazed that DM is a functioning adult (if a tiny bit scarred :cool:) with his incredibly horrific parents. I know people like this exist. Chilling. Talk about put downs from his father!!! Makes my mother look like an angel.

Not surprising DM doesn't understand LG.
    Not surprising LG doesn't understand DM.
    They both do and say incomprehensible things to each other and never explain adequately.

Lisen for the words of the song that maureen is singing. Very appropriate! :):):)

I don't think it was really neccessary for DM to say "shut up" to LG. I understand he was understress but he could have done it better. Does give us a chance to see LG shrug her handbag off her shoulder again, though, so it was worth it in the end. :cool::cool::cool:

Love Roger Fenn - he even gets DM to smile!
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Incredibly well written.

I am amazed that DM is a functioning adult (if a tiny bit scarred :cool:) with his incredibly horrific parents. I know people like this exist. Chilling. Talk about put downs from his father!!! Makes my mother look like an angel.

Not surprising DM doesn't understand LG.
    Not surprising LG doesn't understand DM.
    They both do and say incomprehensible things to each other and never explain adequately.

Lisen for the words of the song that maureen is singing. Very appropriate! :):):)

I don't think it was really neccessary for DM to say "shut up" to LG. I understand he was understress but he could have done it better. Does give us a chance to see LG shrug her handbag off her shoulder again, though, so it was worth it in the end. :cool::cool::cool:

Love Roger Fenn - he even gets DM to smile!

Besides everything else, this time through, this time I noticed how much Peter Cronk's mother resembles her real life father, John Woodvine.

To my mind, this is one of the two or three best episodes of the series -- in terms of craftsmanship as well as emotional impact. It is so beautifully plotted, written, and above all, acted. That scene with Claire Bloom and Martin C. is amazing.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 392
    Forum Member

This doesn't look like a Starbuck's cup to me -- the cup color is wrong and they use white lids (I think I spend too much time and $$, there :o). Maybe Caribou Coffee?
  • mmDerdekeammDerdekea Posts: 1,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think it was really neccessary for DM to say "shut up" to LG. I understand he was understress but he could have done it better. Does give us a chance to see LG shrug her handbag off her shoulder again, though, so it was worth it in the end.

Hello, cc.cookie. Saying DM was "under stress" after that life-changing, catastrophically emotional shock and realization of his mother's true hatred of him, is really an understatement, like saying Hurricane Sandy was an afternoon drizzle. :)

DM has craved love his whole life from his parents, and to hear, point blank, that not only did your mother not like you, but actually loathed and despised you, wishes you were never born, and says you ruined her life and the life of your parents as a couple, cannot, I think, really be classified as just being "under stress". It was a devastating blow, really unfathomable for us who have been blessed with loving parents.

I think we should be extremely sympathetic to DM and allow him to fumble about however he does in the next minutes, stuck in that nightmare of words he just heard. Having LG ramble on about things he could not, then, really stop and listen to, would be too much extra input.

Sure, the "shut up" was blatantly rude, absolutely, but given what DM has just had to hear, and given we are watching DM--and not some career diplomate with an expertise in civility--his "Shut up" seems very understandable. And, remember, he immediately attempts to apologize for it the next time he sees LG.

I think the flow of DM's character from politely demanding his mother speak to him, to his "Shut up", was very realistic and shouldn't be harshly judged. My heart SO goes out to DM in that powerful scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Besides everything else, this time through, this time I noticed how much Peter Cronk's mother resembles her real life father, John Woodvine.

To my mind, this is one of the two or three best episodes of the series -- in terms of craftsmanship as well as emotional impact. It is so beautifully plotted, written, and above all, acted. That scene with Claire Bloom and Martin C. is amazing.

As I mentioned earlier this week

BP never stints the pennies on the supporting players - all are long-standing, well-respected actors, rather than the celebrities that some shows drop in to boost the ratings.

Pure gold, every one of them.

Enjoy :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This doesn't look like a Starbuck's cup to me -- the cup color is wrong and they use white lids (I think I spend too much time and $$, there :o). Maybe Caribou Coffee?

Well, I've struck out. Called some Starbucks in Orange County (KCET broadcast area, but not LA) where I live and no one's heard of the DM promo. I did email KCET, but of course do not expect a weekend answer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, I've struck out. Called some Starbucks in Orange County (KCET broadcast area, but not LA) where I live and no one's heard of the DM promo. I did email KCET, but of course do not expect a weekend answer.

I went to KCET.org and found out that they're also doing a recap of Doc Martin episodes by a journalist named Sara Parvini. I emailed her, but don't know if I'll get a weekend response either. She's on twitter too. Maybe I could ask her on twitter if I don't get an email reply.
    Ha! This is the Doc Martin detective agency. :cool::rolleyes::)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went to KCET.org and found out that they're also doing a recap of Doc Martin episodes by a journalist named Sara Parvini. I emailed her, but don't know if I'll get a weekend response either. She's on twitter too. Maybe I could ask her on twitter if I don't get an email reply.
    Ha! This is the Doc Martin detective agency. :cool::rolleyes::)

You got it, sister! :D
  • Shop GirlShop Girl Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hello, cc.cookie. Saying DM was "under stress" after that life-changing, catastrophically emotional shock and realization of his mother's true hatred of him, is really an understatement, like saying Hurricane Sandy was an afternoon drizzle. :)

DM has craved love his whole life from his parents, and to hear, point blank, that not only did your mother not like you, but actually loathed and despised you, wishes you were never born, and says you ruined her life and the life of your parents as a couple, cannot, I think, really be classified as just being "under stress". It was a devastating blow, really unfathomable for us who have been blessed with loving parents.

I think we should be extremely sympathetic to DM and allow him to fumble about however he does in the next minutes, stuck in that nightmare of words he just heard. Having LG ramble on about things he could not, then, really stop and listen to, would be too much extra input.

Sure, the "shut up" was blatantly rude, absolutely, but given what DM has just had to hear, and given we are watching DM--and not some career diplomate with an expertise in civility--his "Shut up" seems very understandable. And, remember, he immediately attempts to apologize for it the next time he sees LG.

I think the flow of DM's character from politely demanding his mother speak to him, to his "Shut up", was very realistic and shouldn't be harshly judged. My heart SO goes out to DM in that powerful scene.

Not only does he attempt to apologize when he sees her, but when she calls the surgery with Danny's emergency, he tells Pauline that he will "take it out there" and the proceeds to go from the consulting room to the kitchen and closes the door - something he has never done before. He starts to tell her that he is seeing a patient, but I think he is about to apologize when Louisa interrupts him to tell him about the emergency. Even when he arrives at the house - knowing it is an emergency - he again tries to apologize. I think he knew it was important to repair that rift with Louisa - even though he hasn't always recognized this.
This discussion has been closed.