Options

Ebay refund?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
Forum Member
✭✭
I bought some icing cutters from Ebay, paid for it the same day. Several days later I got an email from the seller saying they'd run out of the the style I wanted, but they had a different style that was similar, so would it be ok if they sent that and they would send me a free gift as well to make up for it. I replied saying no thank you, only wanted the style I originally purchased, etc. Only to be told they were very sorry but they'd already posted the other item! Now they're saying they will refund, but only if I post it back to them at my own expense. Do I have any options, or am I just going to have to accept the loss?

Comments

• Options
    SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think you have two choices.

1. Open a dispute now through eBay.

2. Wait until the item arrives, see if it's any good, and if it isn't, then open a dispute.

I don't see why you should have to pay for postage to return an item that you hadn't actually ordered.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sigurd wrote: »
    I think you have two choices.

1. Open a dispute now through eBay.

2. Wait until the item arrives, see if it's any good, and if it isn't, then open a dispute.

I don't see why you should have to pay for postage to return an item that you hadn't actually ordered.

It arrived this morning. I've had a look but def don't want the item.So what would I be disputing? Saying they have to refund my postage as well?
  • Options
    varialectiovarialectio Posts: 2,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It arrived this morning. I've had a look but def don't want the item.So what would I be disputing? Saying they have to refund my postage as well?

I imagine that you would be able dispute on the basis that they had to refund your initial purchase unconditionally as they are unable to supply the goods purchased and you hadn't agreed to a substitution. . Return of the unwanted alternative would be a separate matter between you and the seller, ie if they want it back, they'll have to send you the postage!
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

If the messages were sent via ebay then you have evidence that they failed to send the item you bought, so you ought to get a full refund.
  • Options
    embyemby Posts: 7,837
    Forum Member

Item Significantly Not As Described [ISNAD]? I think that's still an option through the Paypal dispute centre. The seller isn't obliged to refund your return postage, although a credible seller WILL do this, they don't HAVE to. With the ISNAD dispute you will have to return the item via a trackable method [Special deliver] as I think Paypal ask you to key in the tracking number to prove you've posted it back to the seller.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,966
    Forum Member
    I bought some icing cutters from Ebay, paid for it the same day. Several days later I got an email from the seller saying they'd run out of the the style I wanted, but they had a different style that was similar, so would it be ok if they sent that and they would send me a free gift as well to make up for it. I replied saying no thank you, only wanted the style I originally purchased, etc. Only to be told they were very sorry but they'd already posted the other item! Now they're saying they will refund, but only if I post it back to them at my own expense. Do I have any options, or am I just going to have to accept the loss?

Did the seller send it by tracked delivery? If not I'd e-mail them and say it hasn't arrived.