Bruce Forsyth a UK Legend.Please show some respect

Comments

• Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He certainly wasn't missed on Saturday, or "Sunday" Oh that's right, he doesn't do Sundays as he's a part-timer.
    All this fuss about what an "asset" he is, maybe once he was, but now he's a liability.
    Time for him to go.
  • TerryM22TerryM22 Posts: 19,463
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pippa 2 wrote: »
    Totally agree, Terry.

I know Sir Bruce has to retire at some point Pippa mores the pity, but it should be at a time of his choosing, I don't feel that he should be pushed out by other forces it sets a very bad example for everyone else in society.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TerryM22 wrote: »
    I know Sir Bruce has to retire at some point Pippa mores the pity, but it should be at a time of his choosing, I don't feel that he should be pushed out by other forces it sets a very bad example for everyone else in society.

Err..

Hang on, you expect him to get special treatment?

Hmm..
    I guess you would.
  • mimi dlcmimi dlc Posts: 13,423
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Err..

Hang on, you expect him to get special treatment?

Hmm..
    I guess you would.

Terry's world is very different from most people's
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 407
    Forum Member

Agree 100%
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member

I agree. It's good to see older people still in high profile positions on television and will hopefully start breaking down this notion that there's no place for the elderly in the media and they should just get out of the way and let younger people take over and stay at home with their cocoa.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    Of course, those in the media who say that he's just as good as he was aren't saying it because they've been instructed to are they?

The BBC will do their best to suppress any negative comments from people they employ/have employed because they only want positive publicity. Those who make positive comments have to bear in mind that they might want to be employed by the BBC in the future, and slagging off one of their choices isn't a good move.

We all know the BBC never admit they've got something wrong - just look at the number of complaints about background music in wildlife programmes, squashing titles, etc. Their response is always that they are right and viewers are wrong for not liking them.
  • JocolahJocolah Posts: 2,276
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This may seem awful but I enjoyed last weekend's SCD far more when Bruce Forsyth was absent. I don't dislike him but do find him irritating a lot of the time on the programme. I thought Tess did a sterling job on her own.
  • Fatima502Fatima502 Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    He certainly wasn't missed on Saturday, or "Sunday" Oh that's right, he doesn't do Sundays as he's a part-timer.
    All this fuss about what an "asset" he is, maybe once he was, but now he's a liability.
    Time for him to go.

He was missed by me. He's funnier than Tess, or Claudia. In my judgement.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fatima502 wrote: »
    He was missed by me. He's funnier than Tess, or Claudia. In my judgement.

Err..

It isn't supposed to be a comedy show, the job is just to provide the links between segments of the show.
    I don't mind you liking him, but as for fulfilling the necessary parts of his job (which isn't to provide quite some "carefully rehearsed spontaneity") , he's getting progressively worse.
  • KaeresteKaereste Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If he was a female he would have been gone long ago - like when he developed his first wrinkle, so I don't think we should have to put up with his dodderiness for fear of offending him.
  • CMCM Posts: 33,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He should retire how much more money does he need at his age what can he do with it ? :cool:
  • MonaoggMonaogg Posts: 19,990
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Janet43 wrote: »
    Of course, those in the media who say that he's just as good as he was aren't saying it because they've been instructed to are they?

The BBC will do their best to suppress any negative comments from people they employ/have employed because they only want positive publicity. Those who make positive comments have to bear in mind that they might want to be employed by the BBC in the future, and slagging off one of their choices isn't a good move.

We all know the BBC never admit they've got something wrong - just look at the number of complaints about background music in wildlife programmes, squashing titles, etc. Their response is always that they are right and viewers are wrong for not liking them.

Even comments on the BBC SCD blogs are saying the show ran smoother without him, and they get the most number of positive ratings.
  • elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People don't like Bruce because they see him as an anomaly from another age, which fair enough, he is. The age when TV shows were presented by actual entertainers and not grinning, shouting, permatanned reality show rejects. Hopefully they can tolerate his presence for a couple more years and can give those.of us who like entertainers this one show. They have basically every other one.
  • ImDianeSimmondsImDianeSimmonds Posts: 1,189
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Actually, being an anomaly has nothing to do with my reasons for disliking him.

I find him rude, condescending, self-centred and tedious. The show at the weekend was fabulous without him
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    elnombre wrote: »
    People don't like Bruce because they see him as an anomaly from another age, which fair enough, he is. The age when TV shows were presented by actual entertainers and not grinning, shouting, permatanned reality show rejects. Hopefully they can tolerate his presence for a couple more years and can give those.of us who like entertainers this one show. They have basically every other one.

Very well put elnombre, todays Live at The Apollo clones have nothing on our Sir Bruce.
  • coppertop1coppertop1 Posts: 4,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I find him rude, condescending, self-centred and tedious. The show at the weekend was fabulous without him

Well done exactly how he is
  • tabithakittentabithakitten Posts: 13,871
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Or possibly... just possibly, there are people out there who want neither a grinning, shouting, permatanned reality show reject nor a once-slick, arguably once-entertaining, now past his sell by date and rapidly going off has-been, but a competent presenter who can read an autocue efficiently and preferably with a decent amount of spontaneous wit.
  • Alli-FAlli-F Posts: 32,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Can I just ask one question, and it's out of curiosity not sarcasm, can you explain why Bruce is entertaining to you?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This seems rather harsh to me I have not heard any of these things from people that I have spoken too about Sir Bruce.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This seems rather harsh to me I have not heard any of these things from people that I have spoken too about Sir Bruce.

So, do you not read and scroll down past all the negative posts on here Terry?
    I mean the ones to which you constantly reply?

You're obviously inhabiting the same fantasy world as the old codger.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So, do you not read and scroll down past all the negative posts on here Terry?
    I mean the ones to which you constantly reply?

You're obviously inhabiting the same fantasy world as the old codger.

I'm sorry for not making myself clear, I was referring to people I talk to in real life, face to face about Sir Bruce.
  • Swanandduck2Swanandduck2 Posts: 5,502
    Forum Member
    I like him and I like the connection to the old time entertainment shows and the different dimension he brings to the programme. I don't care if it is less slick and 'move along quickly please' while he's on, he brings a nice air of nostalgia to SCD and lots of viewers like that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry for not making myself clear, I was referring to people I talk to in real life, face to face about Sir Bruce.

Hmm..
    Given your constant presence on here, when do you find the time?
  • flyingvflyingv Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's funny, because most people I speak to in real life about BF all say they can't stand him and have to mute the tv or FF when he is hogging the camera.