• Options
    tk096tk096 Posts: 5,829
    Forum Member
    Oh joy! Unmissable viewing! :)
  • Options
    lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Llama's head narrowly misses being shut in lift door!
  • Options
    Vix77Vix77 Posts: 529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    'we want to make the biggest scone in britain' lol!! Love mark :)
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    Can't wait.
  • Options
    Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor old Mark - didn't he sign up to a big showbiz agency and promise many new exciting projects? And here he is, doing an impression of himself. He's silly enough to make it worth watching, but it hasn't exactly gone that well for the little chap!
  • Options
    Millie MuppetMillie Muppet Posts: 6,853
    Forum Member
    Any reaction from last night or am I missing another thread? :confused:

I felt really sorry for Mark in episode 1. What a workshy, bitter bunch of inward-looking idiots he had to put up with in his new employers. Say what you want about the man, he goes the extra length for his business and always acts in its best interests, not his own. The barman Mike was a nasty piece of work; what a petty, small-minded idiot.

As for the posh father and son couple, could this show be any more staged? An affluent single father wouldn't take his son to a fading Torquay hotel but probably skiing in Val D'Isere (okay, I know it was filmed in summer) or safari-ing in Kenya. Also, I'm not sure about anyone else but their relationship screamed more 'rich lawyer and rent boy' than 'father and son bonding'. All the stuff about his string of past girlfriends was cringeworthy. They showed themselves up as equally embarrassing as the very customers they were sneering down their nose at.
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Mark reminds me of Eric Idle, especially in the way he speaks.
  • Options
    MellsbellsMellsbells Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I felt really sorry for Mark in episode 1. What a workshy, bitter bunch of inward-looking idiots he had to put up with in his new employers. Say what you want about the man, he goes the extra length for his business and always acts in its best interests, not his own. The barman Mike was a nasty piece of work; what a petty, small-minded idiot.

As for the posh father and son couple, could this show be any more staged? An affluent single father wouldn't take his son to a fading Torquay hotel but probably skiing in Val D'Isere (okay, I know it was filmed in summer) or safari-ing in Kenya. Also, I'm not sure about anyone else but their relationship screamed more 'rich lawyer and rent boy' than 'father and son bonding'. All the stuff about his string of past girlfriends was cringeworthy. They showed themselves up as equally embarrassing as the very customers they were sneering down their nose at.

All of this ^^^

Mike 'I've run people out of town before'..... What a bitter little man. What he was most likely afraid of, was Mark making it such a success that his usual evening's work of serving a couple of old biddies and being able to clock off on time might come to an end. In fact most of the staff (and the owners) just seemed as though they were happy to do the bare minimum.

The father/son combo, so odd. Especially how the father kept harping on about his divorce/split 15 years on!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Good post... I thought the father and son thing was very overdone... That Mike bloke was an ignorant so and so and the rest of the staff didn't look particularly appealing either... and they wonder why people holiday abroad......
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,944
    Forum Member

They wanted to go sailing, perhaps Torquay was the nearest place. Not sure there's many luxury hotels there.
  • Options
    Brain DonorBrain Donor Posts: 1,685
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    orange70000orange70000 Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    I feel so sorry for Mark, he has all the energy and vitality you could imagine. Yeah he's a bit cheesy but it's all part of the attraction. The staff at this hotel are so surly and miserable I don't think i'd want to even stay there for free.

As a retail manager for 20 years i've encountered these type of teams before. They're close knit, not interested in the good of the hotel, definately not interested in the customers and are mostly concerned with getting out on time and how the job can benefit them. It's sad Mark isnt in total control.

The minute that Mike guy said he's driven people out before, Mark should have marked his card and had a formal warning with him about his attitude. Get this guy out of the hotel ASAP and the rest of the staff will fall in line.
  • Options
    mehrcatmehrcat Posts: 225
    Forum Member

Excuse me but with a film crew there watching and recording everything, don't you think it's all staged???? Come off it!
    The last hotel is likely thriving and The Cavendish is now probably booked out til Doomsday. Still it's all harmless fun and promotes the Staycation which is good for the UK economy. Do you really think if there hadn't been cameras filming him handing out leaflets in a kilt, that ANYONE would have come.
    The unreal element this time is the lack of foreigners on the staff, apart from the Arabian (sounds like an Arabic speaker to me) chef/cook.
    Most staff in UK hotels are not native.
    BTW: Glad they didn't show the fat female receptionist (first episode and from last series) with the glasses again. She added nothing but bad memories.
    P.S. Mark's breath must stink. In one episode, last series he said that he never ate vegetables or fruit, he eats only meat. People probably agree to what he says just to get out of range of his foul breath. It must smell like a fart. (I had a teacher like that.)
  • Options
    mehrcatmehrcat Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    I feel so sorry for Mark, he has all the energy and vitality you could imagine. Yeah he's a bit cheesy but it's all part of the attraction. The staff at this hotel are so surly and miserable I don't think i'd want to even stay there for free.

As a retail manager for 20 years i've encountered these type of teams before. They're close knit, not interested in the good of the hotel, definately not interested in the customers and are mostly concerned with getting out on time and how the job can benefit them. It's sad Mark isnt in total control.

The minute that Mike guy said he's driven people out before, Mark should have marked his card and had a formal warning with him about his attitude. Get this guy out of the hotel ASAP and the rest of the staff will fall in line.
    Dear Orange70000,
    Surely you can't believe that the whole thing is real? That a camera team follows him around X? hours a day and records the genuine responses.
    There always has to be goodies and badies. If everyone said, "OK Mark, We think you're a great and your ideas are marvellous, now let's do them", there would be no grit in the mill.

If the posh boy and father, or the Welsh couple didn't convince of that, then you'd better take off those rose-tinted spectacles.

In the end, this whole series proves only one thing, that some people don't know the difference between reality and staged TV. Big Brother is more real because they are not playing to a script!
  • Options
    HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG That was so embarrassing seeing Alex Reid turning up to the Gay event at the hotel and about 6 people being there!! I just wanted to cringe it was so awful.

Mark just blunders through life causing more and more disasters.
  • Options
    iCandy77iCandy77 Posts: 1,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a bunch of braindead meatheads those wrestlers were!
  • Options
    sandydunesandydune Posts: 10,986
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The wrestlers seemed disappointed by the questions.
  • Options
    BabanBaban Posts: 2,040
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The last two episodes have had two reeellyyyyy cringey events, tonight's ep won't live up to it if they don't have another failed event