Options

Coping with arrogance

woofwoof77woofwoof77 Posts: 2,166
Forum Member
✭✭✭
How do you cope/deal with an arrogant person?
Someone who is always stating how good they are ,how good they are at things, how they are NEVER wrong etc.... ( I guess that's the definition of arrogant?)

Especially if you live with them ( a sibling)

I would just kind of blank them and not get involved but then if I do that they accuse me of 'not being social with them, not talking to them etc..'

Can't win

Would love to move out but not an option yet

Comments

• Options
    Raquelos.Raquelos. Posts: 7,734
    Forum Member
    Realise that they are probably so vocal about it to try and convince themselves it's true as much as others.

Realise that how good they think they are has no impact on how good you actually are.

Realise that it's easier to find them amusing than to find them annoying.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 238
    Forum Member
    Most people like that are in reality very insecure.. but also narcissistic people are like that..
  • Options
    DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,942
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Humour them.

And sarcasm - it will go right over their head but tickle you inside.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's the one quality i truly despise in a person. There's obviously a fine line between confidence and arrogance, but I do find arrogant people rather loathsome personally.

If you can get past how irritating their bragging is, you'll actually find it a lot easier to deal with them as you can just basically smile at them and ignore it - you don't actually have to fully blank them, just the arrogant side.
    Humour them.

And sarcasm - it will go right over their head but tickle you inside.

Agreed. I've dealt with a few arrogant people over the years with that approach and it works nicely.
  • Options
    EvieJEvieJ Posts: 6,035
    Forum Member
    See it for what it is, insecurity.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,270
    Forum Member
    DS General Discussion aka Coping with arrogance.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Pity them. Make your own life so beautiful and wondrous that it blinds them dumbstruck in disbelief. Then again, I have my own experience of this with my siblings and they would never ever tell me how proud they were of my achievements, just brag about their own (which I've never done). So just sit in silence and listen to their delusions while you reap the rewards of your own successes.
  • Options
    Chuck WaoChuck Wao Posts: 2,724
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    EvieJ wrote: »
    See it for what it is, insecurity.

..though occasionally it can be supreme confidence
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    ..though occasionally it can be supreme confidence

I tend to see confidence as a more internal process, with a need to voice when it matters and it serves a purpose.

Arrogance is more about communicating to others (or self), we don't need to do that with things we are truly confident about as there is no question about the ability, it is already evident.

Though of course we could be just proud of achievement and want to share that with others assuming they might be pleased for us rather than jealous but that usually comes across in a different way.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I tend to see confidence as a more internal process, with a need to voice when it matters and it serves a purpose.

Arrogance is more about communicating to others (or self), we don't need to do that with things we are truly confident about as there is no question about the ability, it is already evident.

Right - tho often the insecurity lies not with the 'arrogant person ' but by the person who perceives the person to be arrogant , when he's not .Thats fairly common.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Chuck Wao wrote: »
    Right - tho often the insecurity lies not with the 'arrogant person ' but by the person who perceives the person to be arrogant , when he's not .Thats fairly common.

I know, that's what I meant in the last paragraph but didn't word it quite as well. :-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know, that's what I meant in the last paragraph but didn't word it quite as well. :-)

Great minds ....eh :)
  • Options
    dorydaryldorydaryl Posts: 15,927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some good advice, above. See their arrogance as a defence shield they wear to cover up their own insecurities. Must be wearing though, having to live with someone like that. Still, you might not be able to change them but you can change the way you handle it which is what you seem to be looking to do.