Cracked shower tray

ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
Forum Member
✭✭
I have a crack around the plug-hole in my shower tray.

For the moment I have plugged it over with a sillicon sealant - Apart from ripping out & replacing the whole tray, does anyone have any advice as to how I can water-seal it?

(Or does anyone know a rough price to replace the tray - It is a standard cheapo square unit)

Thanks in advance! :)

Comments

• Keefy-boyKeefy-boy Posts: 13,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What material is the tray made from?
  • susie-4964susie-4964 Posts: 23,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ns.macd wrote: »
    I have a crack around the plug-hole in my shower tray.

For the moment I have plugged it over with a sillicon sealant - Apart from ripping out & replacing the whole tray, does anyone have any advice as to how I can water-seal it?

(Or does anyone know a rough price to replace the tray - It is a standard cheapo square unit)

Thanks in advance! :)

Is it a flexible (plastic-type) shower tray? If so, it might be very difficult to seal it, as every time you stand on it, it will flex and break the seal. If it's rigid, then a silicon sealant should do the job.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    A basic shower tray should cost no more than 50 quid, regardless of the material I would replace the tray before the problem gets worse.
  • ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    susie-4964 wrote: »
    Is it a flexible (plastic-type) shower tray? If so, it might be very difficult to seal it, as every time you stand on it, it will flex and break the seal. If it's rigid, then a silicon sealant should do the job.

It is a flexible white plastic tray
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I tried to patch one up once and it just didn't work. Ended up with water coming through to the room below. Really is best to replace it once there is a hole or split.
  • camercamer Posts: 5,237
    Forum Member
    ns.macd wrote: »
    It is a flexible white plastic tray

I would replace rather than repair and also check for any damage to the floor and joists below the shower (if a wooden floor)) and replace/repair as necessary. Regardless of what type of sealant is use to repair a leaking shower they will continue to leak due to the expansion and contaction of the shower tray due to the hot and cold water. I would be more concerned about any water that has leaked from the shower and the possible damage it may have caused such as wet rot in timbers.
  • Dan SetteDan Sette Posts: 5,816
    Forum Member
    ^^^^^^^ What Camer said.

I had exactly that problem - couldn't seal the plastic tray - had water running down the living room walls.

It was caused by the joist underneath dropping, which lead to the tray flexing and eventually cracking.

Best get the floor checked out.
  • TUTV ViewerTUTV Viewer Posts: 6,236
    Forum Member
    It may well be covered by your home buildings insurance policy (sanitaryware)!

A crack appeared in mine a few years ago. The insurers initially refused the claim saying that the most likely cause was manufacturing flaw and I couldn't say for sure that family hadn't dropped something in it.

So when it came out, I had a good look at it - and there was no sign of a flaw, so wrote to the insurers and told them that it must have been something dropped accidently in the shower causing the crack - they agreed to pay for 66% of the plumbing, complete re-tiling of ensuite, and new shower tray (less £100 excess). (The shower tray has an integral ridge that sits 1.5" behind the tiles all round for a strong water-seal - so tiles had to be damaged for the tray to be removed.

Was much happier.

Also banned anyone from using the cans of shower-foam as I suspect it may have been either my mum or dad dropping a can in the shower.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't know if this is still a problem, but:

When my bath's tiny chip turned into a full blown crack which'd allow water through (not a good thing) I got myself some Gorilla Tape (eBay is your friend). Yes it didn't fit the colour scheme of the bathroom but it made the bath usable one again.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 325
    Forum Member
    By a car fibreglass kit and use it on the shower tray.
  • ns.macdns.macd Posts: 766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for all the advice - I wiill continue to plug it until the end of the month (roll on payday!! :D), then I'll get it replaced