Planning a Sunday out in Greenwich with visiting relatives, (shoestring budget!)

cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I'd be very grateful if anyone can suggest a nice walking route that will soak up plenty of local atmosphere. We're all broke, so we're hoping to entertain ourselves without having to spend much (ideally nothing!!), :) and we'd rather be outdoors than inside. So we just need some nice walking routes around the town, and maybe the Royal Park for a picnic. (We're all quite good walkers, but one member of the party is concerned to make sure we pass plenty of public loos on our route!) :)

Anyone familiar with Greenwich and able to give us a few pointers? I've Googled and looked at maps etc, of course, and there's just so much there, I don't quite know where to begin, so I thought I'd ask for recommendations from personal experience.

Huge thanks in advance if anyone can advise.

PS I'm guessing parking is horrendous at weekends....anyone able to suggest a likely car park not too far from the centre?

Comments

• Kiko H FanKiko H Fan Posts: 6,546
    Forum Member
    The foot tunnel.
  • trphiltrphil Posts: 2,931
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kiko H Fan wrote: »
    The foot tunnel.

Yes, definitely this and there is a handy public loo on the north side of the river too. :cool:

It's very easy to park on the Isle of Dogs at the weekends too, well certainly on Sundays - not so sure about Saturdays.
  • tomvoxxtomvoxx Posts: 2,340
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Through the park, past the Royal Maritime Museum and up the hill to Greenwich Observatory. If the weather isn't great and you want a break the insides of both of these have free admission and are well worth looking at.
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you like a walk ... Thames Path Walk - Section 3 (Tower Bridge to Greenwich and the Thames Barrier / Tower Bridge to Island Gardens)

The Thames Path goes right along the river too.
    Welcome to a stretch of the River Thames that's full of East End character, where the views are superb and the pubs alone are worth the walk.

Enjoy a stroll along the Thames Path as it winds its way through some of the most evocative spots on the historic riverbank, from Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs to the home of the Mayflower and the glorious Maritime Greenwich World Heritage Site.

You'll pass the places where pirates hung in chains; where Turner painted and Dickens set his scenes; where Brunel tasted his first success and most bitter failure and where dockers 'grafted' until their backs bled. This section traces the rise, fall and resurrection of London's great docks, which traded widely with the Empire and the world and bore the brunt of the Blitz in the Second World War. Largely silent since the 1960s, they are born again with warehouses converted to apartments and cafes and new housing now lining once-busy wharves.

Contemporary life has also made its mark in the striking form of Canary Wharf's towers, the Millennium Dome and the Thames Barrier - the official end of the National Trail.

LondonForFree - Nautical tour
    This walk begins and ends at Greenwich Foot Tunnel. (Getting to Greenwich by public transport).
    On arrival at Greenwich, head towards the Cutty Sark and the dome-topped building on the river, near it...

Greenwich Foot Tunnel
    Cutty Sark
    Greenwich Market
    Greenwich Park
    Royal Observatory
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic! Lots of lovely ideas there. Thank you so much for taking the trouble to reply, everyone. I really appreciate it.