Options

apples seem dear to me

2»

Comments

• Options
    -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    We buy our apples from Lidl, a 2000g bag which is around 15 Braeburn apples for £2.
  • Options
    LostFoolLostFool Posts: 90,659
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Orangemaid wrote: »
    i get Tesco's golden delicious 6 in the pack for £1.50--i don't like any other apples just those

I also prefer Golden Delicious too but I can't see why Tesco now thinks it is necessary to sell them on a tray wrapped in plastic rather than just a bag. I thought they were trying to cut down on packaging.
  • Options
    GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gogfumble wrote: »
    I love russets but the supermarkets I go in rarely do them and unfortunately I don't know of any local fruit farms. May have to have a google to see if I can find any.

Quoting my own post I know but I was in Tesco today and they actually had russets. I was amazed and even more so that they were in their "every day value" bags at 89p for 6.

I had me some of those!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    LostFool wrote: »
    I also prefer Golden Delicious too but I can't see why Tesco now thinks it is necessary to sell them on a tray wrapped in plastic rather than just a bag. I thought they were trying to cut down on packaging.

hi,,yea, they seemed to have changed too :( Not as nice now..they seem to be hard and tasteless to me :( more chewy lol
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ... and as a result, we now have to import 80 % of our apples....
    Far more to do with supply deals.
    Lidl currently sell British Kent Gala apples at £1 KG. Travelling less and in season they taste crisper and far better than all the imported rubbish. They often swap to British Cox, great too.

I simply have no desire for Apples that have travelled half way around the world.
  • Options
    Blackjack DavyBlackjack Davy Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Six Pink Lady apples for £2? What a waste of money, for half that I can get a bag of 20 or more Worcester, Fiesta, Russett, etc, apples that you never see in any supermarket. Apples that this time of the year will keep for months if they are kept in a cool dry dark place which, of course, doesn't suit the supermarkets.

We never buy any supermarket apples between October and March, there is no need especially as they are so staggeringly over-priced. Give me locally produced, reasonably priced apples that actually have taste any day of the week.

Pink Lady are the most overpriced apples in the supermarket, I never go near them.

Ah wish I could find those. I find Worcester apples in a 6 pack every now and on the stuck-at-the-top-of-the-shelf-because-noone-wants-them rack. They're not the perfect, round, shiny, immaculate Pink Lady but my word are they tasty. Same with the bag of Ashmead's Kernel I got from the RHS garden recently. They're not shiny and they have spots on them which would horrify the supermarket buyer but by god they tasted good. I'll take them over the bright, shiny, perfect, utterly bland tasteless supermarket shipped-from-half-way-around-the world apples anyday.
    I bought six Cox apples from Aldi yesterday. They don't taste as nice as the Pink Lady apples, so that's why they were 69p rather than £2.

Sorry, what? Have you ever tried a Cox when they're properly ripe? Theres no finer tasting apple. Don't eat them when they're green and hard, wait for them to ripen the skins will turn orange-yellow and the flesh will turn a slight tinge of yellow. Delicious.
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Apples are expensive, but the Macbook Pro is the best laptop on the market. Build quality is second to none and my 2010 one still works quite well for what I want it to do. My Air is also a good laptop and brilliant for carrying around.

Oh you mean the fruit variety of apples? I'll get my coat... :D
  • Options
    Isambard BrunelIsambard Brunel Posts: 6,598
    Forum Member
    Sorry, what? Have you ever tried a Cox when they're properly ripe? Theres no finer tasting apple.

I bought Pink Lady apples in Aldi and they're delicious. I bought Cox apples from Aldi and they weren't as nice. I've bought Braeburns, Washington Reds and other apples from other supermarkets and loved them, while the Coxes I've tried are never as nice.

That's my pallet. I can't stand apples that have started to soften. I like them crisp and sharp tasting, with plenty of apple juice when you chew.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to always buy Pink Lady apples I love them. Sweet and juicy.

But a couple of years ago I bought a bag of Tesco Value apples. I think they are just over a quid for 6 apples in a bag. I only bought them as I wanted to add them to jugs of Pimms. But they were absolutely gorgeous. Very sweet, small and juicy. I won't buy anything else now.