EastEnders @ 30 - who is your favourite all time character?

SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
Forum Member
✭✭
For me its between Pat, Frank, Ian, Phil, Grant, Peggy, Pauline, Den, Angie, Sharon, Dot, Kat, Janine and Stacey.

After much thought I decided on Janine. As we watched this little girl grow up her journey makes sense as every major life event we witnessed her go through is what shaped Janine into the character she eventually became. I think Janine might well be one of the best developed soap characters of all time. Janine isn't just your average soap bitch, she is a character with incredible depth and no matter what nasty things she may do you can't help but remain on her side.

Charlie Brooks created a soap icon and made the role her own. Hopefully one day we will see Janine back in Walford. I think the fact we get Janine in stints is what makes her work best and I do look forward to seeing her one day as mother to a teenage/adult Scarlett. God help the boy who tries to take her away from Janine! :o:kitty:;-):D

I think Daran Little once said the only reason Corrie turned Tracy Barlow into a bitch was because they saw how successful Janine was and wanted their own version. :cool: #queenjanine

Comments

• MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    Stacey and Janine.

Amazing.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sereniity wrote: »
    For me its between Pat, Frank, Ian, Phil, Grant, Peggy, Pauline, Den, Angie, Sharon, Dot, Kat, Janine and Stacey.

After much thought I decided on Janine. As we watched this little girl grow up her journey makes sense as every major life event we witnessed her go through is what shaped Janine into the character she eventually became. I think Janine might well be one of the best developed soap characters of all time. Janine isn't just your average soap bitch, she is a character with incredible depth and no matter what nasty things she may do you can't help but remain on her side.

Charlie Brooks created a soap icon and made the role her own. Hopefully one day we will see Janine back in Walford. I think the fact we get Janine in stints is what makes her work best.

I think Daran Little once said the only reason Corrie turned Tracy Barlow into a bitch was because they saw how successful Janine was and wanted their own version. :cool: #queenjanine

Janine was a cold blooded killer.
  • MrJamesMrJames Posts: 8,127
    Forum Member
    SULLA wrote: »
    Janine was a cold blooded killer.

None of her kills were cold-blooded.

Either way, being a killer doesn't stop then from being a good fictional character.
  • SereniitySereniity Posts: 588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MrJames wrote: »
    None of her kills were cold-blooded.

Either way, being a killer doesn't stop then from being a good fictional character.

Yeah I wouldn't say any of Janine's 'kills' ( lol :D ) were cold blooded either.

Barry was manslaughter at most. It was genuinely a tragic accident and even if Janine had tried to get help the end result would have still been the same.

Michael was self defence more than anything. If she hadn't of stabbed him then he would have stabbed her.

As for Danielle, she only has herself to blame. She should have paid more attention in school when they taught the 'stop, look and listen' :p
  • Dannielle_HowelDannielle_Howel Posts: 1,551
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd probably go with Janine too to be honest. Her absence is always felt when she leaves and Charlie Brooks really plays her wonderfully, there's not many soap bitches/villians you can really empathize with and that what makes her. Really great character.
  • Pink_SmurfPink_Smurf Posts: 6,883
    Forum Member
    Janine for me too. Her face in her last scene was brilliant. I think she left too soon as DTC would have given her some great storylines. I hope she returns to the Square but I'm not sure who or what she would return to. I would love the Eastenders bosses to tempt her back with a big fat paycheque and a good reason to return. Janine was / is one of those characters that can make you laugh even when she commits crimes or upsets people. She had some great one liners and bitchy comments.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes its a big shame she left just as DTC returned. I would have been very interested in seeing what direction he took her in. :(
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,576
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Reg Cox.
  • Lisa_Thomas2Lisa_Thomas2 Posts: 550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stacey probably
  • BathshebaBathsheba Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member
    Den and Angie.
  • lulu glulu g Posts: 52,643
    Forum Member
    Dirty Den.
  • Chase_HamylnChase_Hamyln Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    Sharon and Cindy.
  • 0...00...0 Posts: 21,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Den/Angie/Sharon for me.
  • Hank1234Hank1234 Posts: 3,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel
  • LakieLadyLakieLady Posts: 19,719
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pat, every time.

The way she made the gradual transition from old slapper to the square's matriarch was superb.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Arthur
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Michael Moon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sez_babe wrote: »
    Michael Moon

Interesting choice!! why Michael if I may ask? :)
  • Sez_babeSez_babe Posts: 133,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sereniity wrote: »
    Interesting choice!! why Michael if I may ask? :)

Such an amazing, complex and intriguing character :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pat. I just think she is a true icon of Eastenders, and I am still quite gutted she can never return.
  • RetroMusicFanRetroMusicFan Posts: 6,673
    Forum Member
    EE has had some amazing characters over the years and some not so amazing but i've enjoyed watching them all but i'm going to choose...

Alfie Moon

Just because he's the one who's given me the most laughs!
    :-D:-D:-D
  • Ell_RenEll_Ren Posts: 9,911
    Forum Member
    Pat, Janine and Shirley.
  • bass55bass55 Posts: 18,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's between Sharon, Pat, Frank and Janine.
  • jamesc_715jamesc_715 Posts: 8,505
    Forum Member
    It's a toss up between Pat, Janine and Sharon :)
  • cobwebsoupcobwebsoup Posts: 4,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alfie Moon, Mark Fowler, Michael Moon, Dot Branning are all up there but my all time favourite is...

Dennis Rickman