Atheist Trend

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.ae71a038e9b3b47af4f0e9eac9598fd8.2b1&show_article=1

I really find it strange that someone wants to denounce baptism...if you don't believe in God you don't believe in Baptism...so why bother denouncing it?

I don't practice or belong to an organized religion but I am not an atheist either...after many years of careful contemplation...I have found my true beliefs....and though I too was baptized....and don't practice a religion and in fact...have serious problems with it...I find no real need to denounce my baptism because it's meaningless to me now anyway....why take something that supposedly has no meaning to you and give it meaning?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually feel as if some atheists are angry at Christianity, which I do not understand. Live and let live. Maybe this is anger at their parents for having them baptized in the first place. If you really believe there is no God, don't you feel a bit sorry for those of us who believe in him? A piece of paper proves what exactly? That you don't acknowledge Baptism? You want it returned? to whom?
  • Macon DetournayMacon Detournay Posts: 548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My housemate wanted to do this

It's more a statement against the indoctrination of children, than an act that's meaningful in itself.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    "The fact that people are willing to pay for the parchments shows how seriously they are taking them."

Someone's making a good profit from rejection of the good prophet.
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually feel as if some atheists are angry at Christianity, which I do not understand. Live and let live. Maybe this is anger at their parents for having them baptized in the first place. If you really believe there is no God, don't you feel a bit sorry for those of us who believe in him? A piece of paper proves what exactly? That you don't acknowledge Baptism? You want it returned? to whom?

You honestly can't think of any reasons why someone might be angry at Christianity?

I don't get the de-baptism thing either but I can understand bad feeling towards a religion that might have been forced on someone.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,013
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Since religion is a matter of faith, atheists already don't have it so what does the piece of paper offer them? Do they frame them and make little shrines for them? Couldn't they just draw a certificate themselves with some nice crayons?!

More money than sense.
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You honestly can't think of any reasons why someone might be angry at Christianity?

I don't get the de-baptism thing either but I can understand bad feeling towards a religion that might have been forced on someone.

Er, no. That would be being angry at your parents for doing this, and not the actual Religion itself. Once you start focusing all your anger at the Religion, this then becomes an obsession which causes you to get angry because people aren't turning away from the Religion you despise.
  • Red HedRed Hed Posts: 173
    Forum Member
    ardwark wrote: »
    Since religion is a matter of faith, atheists already don't have it so what does the piece of paper offer them? Do they frame them and make little shrines for them? Couldn't they just draw a certificate themselves with some nice crayons?!

More money than sense.

everyone has faith in many things. not everyone realises it however.
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, throughout the ages, Christianity as a movement has tried to promote the idea that women and gay people aren't equal to heterosexual men. It put people in the past, and some now, in fear of hell for not agreeing about an idea and promoted the idea (and still does) that it in possession of absolute truth. It has been anti-science and still is, in some respects. I am not angry but it's irritating that I was taught the tenets of Christianity were fact at school and some people still are. People still equate morality with Christianity, which is irksome and I dislike the idea of having a state religion and faith schools.

Having said that, it has produced new nice works of art, buildings and writings.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is just a bit of paper that doesn't really mean anything. Baptism will never save anyone from their sin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't see the point in buying the piece of paper, I could make one myself if I wanted. But I would like to be removed from all religious records so I don't get counted in the 'this is a christian country' rubbish.

I am angry at religion, It winds me up that they are legally allowed to indoctrinate my children while they are at school.

It's never good when you have to explain to your child that their teachers are either dumb or liars.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It's never good when you have to explain to your child that their teachers are either dumb or liars.

I have the same problem when my children are taught evolution.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hahahahahhahahahahaaaa

That was a joke right?
  • winenroseswinenroses Posts: 6,470
    Forum Member
    kimindex wrote: »
    Well, throughout the ages, Christianity as a movement has tried to promote the idea that women and gay people aren't equal to heterosexual men. It put people in the past, and some now, in fear of hell for not agreeing about an idea and promoted the idea (and still does) that it in possession of absolute truth. It has been anti-science and still is, in some respects. I am not angry but it's irritating that I was taught the tenets of Christianity were fact at school and some people still are. People still equate morality with Christianity, which is irksome and I dislike the idea of having a state religion and faith schools.

Having said that, it has produced new nice works of art, buildings and writings.

Hi.:) Quakerism sprang from Christianity but welcomes diversity and has always had female equality. There are also active (in both senses) Gay and Lesbian Groups.

Jocelyn Bell, the esteemed scientist, is a Quaker, for a modern day example. And Fry, Rowntree and other Quaker families were big in chocolate. And breweries.

Not that I'm trying to convert anyone of course. They don't do that either.
    Forum Member
    Some people say, "I don't believe in Christianity because I cannot accept the existence of moral absolutes. Everyone should determine moral truths for him/her self."

But is that a statement that they can prove to someone who does not share it? No it is a leap of faith, a deep belief that individual rights operate not only in the political sphere but also in the moral. There is no empirical proof for such a position and so the doubts (of moral absolutes) is a leap!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mojorisin' wrote: »
    I find no real need to denounce my baptism because it's meaningless to me now anyway....why take something that supposedly has no meaning to you and give it meaning?

I'm in the same boat. I was baptized as a baby by my atheist parents (well.. not by them, you know what I mean) to keep my catholic grandparents happy. As it meant nothing to my parents, and it made grandparents happy, why not? Nothing lost, something gained.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would people not mind if their name was down on a Nazi membership list and they were counted in the statistics of how many Nazis there are?

If you are a nazi, please replace the word nazi with an organisation you wouldn't like tho be a member of so my point will work.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    Red Hed wrote: »
    Some people say, "I don't believe in Christianity because I cannot accept the existence of moral absolutes. Everyone should determine moral truths for him/her self."

But is that a statement that they can prove to someone who does not share it? No it is a leap of faith, a deep belief that individual rights operate not only in the political sphere but also in the moral. There is no empirical proof for such a position and so the doubts (of moral absolutes) is a leap!

Odd; I don't think I have ever heard anyone give that as their main reason for not being a Christian. On the other hand I have heard a lot of people complaining and even leaving Christian Churches because those Churches have changed their views on moral issues.
    Forum Member
    Would people not mind if their name was down on a Nazi membership list and they were counted in the statistics of how many Nazis there are?

If you are a nazi, please replace the word nazi with an organisation you wouldn't like tho be a member of so my point will work.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Godwin%27s_law
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Red Hed wrote: »

I love that! I think I chose nazis as no one would come out and start defending them... and I watched Dead Snow the other day so I have nazis on my brain.
    Forum Member
    Richard46 wrote: »
    Odd; I don't think I have ever heard anyone give that as their main reason for not being a Christian. On the other hand I have heard a lot of people complaining and even leaving Christian Churches because those Churches have changed their views on moral issues.

you have heard of someone(s) leaving a church because it "changed their views on moral issues"?

how did "it" manage to do that?
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the point I was christened I was, I think, a Christian, parents were so I was taught to be, it was later when I got a bit of education I started questioning and by the time I was 10-12 I was an atheist.
    Unless you are born to atheist parents I would assume you started life with some form of religious belief ? So I can see why renouncing it would make you feel better but as I came to the conclusion religion was rubbish I can't get up much enthusiasm to renounce my christening as it sort of gives it legitimacy and makes it more important in my life than it really is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes religion isn't worth wasting time over, but the organisations spreading it I believe are worth fighting against.
  • molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes religion isn't worth wasting time over, but the organisations spreading it I believe are worth fighting against.

I don't need to fight them either, if people wish to believe then I leave them alone and respect their decision. My husband is a committed Christian we respect each others views.
    Forum Member

once you realise that there are many equally intelligent and good people in the world who hold different beliefs to you and that you will not be able to convince them otherwise, then it is arrogant for you to try and convert them or hold your view to be the superior truth.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 321
    Forum Member
    Mojorisin' wrote: »
    I really find it strange that someone wants to denounce baptism...if you don't believe in God you don't believe in Baptism...so why bother denouncing it?

Well two reasons, I had no choice in the matter as a child even to atheist parents, and more importantly to stop the church from counting me in their official statistics even though I have never been in a church outside of a wedding!