The Irish vote does seem to be huge factor

itsashruberyitsashrubery Posts: 8,144
Forum Member
It has been joked on here before about the irish vote etc
Jokes about the Quigg boy from a couple years back
Janet Devlin this year
Well looking at the percentage votes that have come out it is clear to see the Irish vote is a massive factor
And while it was a massive surprise when Quigg topped votes before, the fact Janet now has also done the same even when forgetting words and having dire song choices chosen for her,
surely means this is a big advantage for an act.
Louis is always saying he hopes the Irish vote for her etc, well it seems he was listened to :D
Janet never seemed to be the obvious fave on forums, radio, TV etc here
But her voting figures show that she was backed hugely by the emerald Isle
I know that I will be watching out for next year to see if there is an Irish act in final lol And money shall be going on them

Comments

• janetfanjanetfan Posts: 473
    Forum Member
    It has been joked on here before about the irish vote etc
    Jokes about the Quigg boy from a couple years back
    Janet Devlin this year
    Well looking at the percentage votes that have come out it is clear to see the Irish vote is a massive factor
    And while it was a massive surprise when Quigg topped votes before, the fact Janet now has also done the same even when forgetting words and having dire song choices chosen for her,
    surely means this is a big advantage for an act.
    Louis is always saying he hopes the Irish vote for her etc, well it seems he was listened to :D
    Janet never seemed to be the obvious fave on forums, radio, TV etc here
    But her voting figures show that she was backed hugely by the emerald Isle
    I know that I will be watching out for next year to see if there is an Irish act in final lol And money shall be going on them
    i bet less than half her vote came from ireland shes has big fanbase here to england that is
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not sure how many times you will need to hear this to actually learn it.

The population of England is many many times larger. To get a good percentage of the vote, you have to get a good percentage of the English vote.

I am English. And I voted for Janet. A lot.

So did many other English people.
  • BananafishBananafish Posts: 13,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd say it's more like someone else said, the appeal of novelty acts in the beginning.

Janet wasn't a novelty act in the joke act sense, but she stood out. Then the novelty wears off as people become familiar with it.

That combined with her seeming more and more miserable, plus the mistakes, saw her leave.

With a bit of help from the script and the producers in the later stage.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 289
    Forum Member
    I would bet that less than a quarter, if even that, of her votes came from Ireland.
  • Eve ElleEve Elle Posts: 6,507
    Forum Member
    Instead of looking for abstract reasons for Janet's popularity, how about just accepting the obvious one? That she had loyal fans, who once they realized she wasn't enjoying being there, did the right thing and let her go. :)
  • masterquanmasterquan Posts: 5,804
    Forum Member
    Its not that the irish vote for them its that people in england are obviously suckers for them too.
    Seriously its not a coincidence two young distinctly average northern irish acts have topped the votes week upon week. Their irish accents and shy blandness obviously appeals to people watching this show
  • itsashruberyitsashrubery Posts: 8,144
    Forum Member
    Eve Elle wrote: »
    Instead of looking for abstract reasons for Janet's popularity, how about just accepting the obvious one? That she had loyal fans, who once they realized she wasn't enjoying being there, did the right thing and let her go. :)
    where have I said she was not popular? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't be silly!!

I don't know one person over here who actually votes for The X Factor. You have to go on the TV3 website, find the X Factor page and then look for the numbers every week. They only have the numbers up when voting lines are open. That's alot of effort to go to just to vote for some girl.

If I had voted for anyone throughout the competition it would have been Little Mix and my Facebook news feed has been FULL of people talking about Little Mix every week. Anyone that mentioned Janet actually found her annoying.

I think the fact that she had such a standout audition had alot to do with her popularity in the UK. I wouldn't think that people would be making the assumption that Marcus only made it as far as he did because people in Liverpool voted for him. Ireland only have a population of around 4 million, that would be around the same as some counties in England right? (I actually don't know).

Man I didn't realise I had typed so much ahhahahaha
    Forum Member
    where have I said she was not popular? :confused:

I think it's fairly clear that you insinuated it when you assumed her votes were based on regional voting instead of actual popularity? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont know - even Mary Burne went 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 4th

Thats 3 years Irish doing well with the votes. We cant know unless they release the voting demographic but we can say is the Irish certainly have the early following in recent years but it tends to drop off............. Interesting!
    Forum Member
    Nisior wrote: »
    Don't be silly!!

I don't know one person over here who actually votes for The X Factor. You have to go on the TV3 website, find the X Factor page and then look for the numbers every week. They only have the numbers up when voting lines are open. That's alot of effort to go to just to vote for some girl.

If I had voted for anyone throughout the competition it would have been Little Mix and my Facebook news feed has been FULL of people talking about Little Mix every week. Anyone that mentioned Janet actually found her annoying.

I think the fact that she had such a standout audition had alot to do with her popularity in the UK. I wouldn't think that people would be making the assumption that Marcus only made it as far as he did because people in Liverpool voted for him. Ireland only have a population of around 4 million, that would be around the same as some counties in England right? (I actually don't know).

Man I didn't realise I had typed so much ahhahahaha
    Well it seems Louis is preaching to nobody then right? :p
    Unless he is on speed dial when at home
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Funnily enough Jedward seem to be the exception to the rule!
    Forum Member
    Well it seems Louis is preaching to nobody then right? :p
    Unless he is on speed dial when at home
    louie abonded the janet train long ago and jumped on the amelia train but janet fans are still on board the janet train all the way to where ever it ends up
    Forum Member
    I think it's fairly clear that you insinuated it when you assumed her votes were based on regional voting instead of actual popularity? :confused:
    where did I say she was not popular? I did not say it
    And is regional voting not popularity then?
    Forum Member
    where did I say she was not popular?

Obviously context is something you don't quite understand, so let's just stop wasting our time and leave it there then. ;)
    Forum Member
    Obviously context is something you don't quite understand, so let's just stop wasting our time and leave it there then. ;)
    You accused me lol
    And cannot back it up
    And now what your doing is what is known as backing out ;)
    By the way do not patronise me
    Not with such baseless comments as yours
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    OP - unless we get separate results from the UTV/TV3 regions you have absolutely ZERO proof of your claim.

Do you really think a country with a population of 4million (o of whom only a few hundred thousand watch the show) where the show is shown on a minor TV channel can outvote a country of 60 million (of whom 11m watch the show) on the latter's biggest reality TV show.

Janet got nearly a quarter of the vote in the first week of voting, topped the votes for four weeks and came 2nd the next week. She clearly had loads of UK support.

As for Eggnog - maybe he got votes cos he was a good looking teenage boy who teenage girls loved and multi voted for. It cannot have been down to the Irish vote - as residents of the Republic of Ireland couldn't vote in the X factor that year.

This thread is almost verging on the racist. Irish people vote for the best act like any region of the UK. Did Marcus only make the final due to votes from Liverpool - clearly no - did Misha only get Mancunians backing her - obviously not. And to say Janet topped the vote for 4 weeks thanks to only Irish people voting for her is similarly a claim without any foundation!

PS Try looking at the Janet Devlin X factor journey thread. That will tell you the real story!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This thread is nothing like verging on racism, its asking a question of voting demographic.
  • MARTYM8MARTYM8 Posts: 44,710
    Forum Member
    D4nth3m4n wrote: »
    This thread is nothing like verging on racism, its asking a question of voting demographic.

The Irish are a race and a nation - not a demographic.

It is insulting in the extreme to claim that Irish people don't vote on talent or quality - but just ring up in droves to support any old Irish act who appears on a reality TV show.

If I claimed only black people voted for Misha or Marcus - without any evidence or proof - I would be accused by many of racism. And frankly I wouldn't blame them.

Its just patronising and insulting!
    Forum Member
    MARTYM8 wrote: »
    OP - unless we get separate results from the UTV/TV3 regions you have absolutely ZERO proof of your claim.

Do you really think a country with a population of 4million (o of whom only a few hundred thousand watch the show) where the show is shown on a minor TV channel can outvote a country of 60 million (of whom 11m watch the show) on the latter's biggest reality TV show.

Janet got nearly a quarter of the vote in the first week of votin, topped the votes for four weeks and came 2nd the next week. She clearly had loads of UK support.

As for Eggnog - maybe he got votes cos he was a good looking teenage boy who teenage girls loved and multi voted for. It cannot have been down to the Irish vote - as residents of the Republic of Ireland couldn't vote in the X factor that year.

This thread is almost verging on the racist. Irish people vote for the best act like any other region of the UK. Did Marcus only make the final due to votes from Liverpool - clearly not. And to say Janet topped the vote for 4 weeks thanks to only Irish people voting for her is a claim without any foundation!

PS Try looking at the Janet Devlin X factor journey thread. That will tell you the real story!
    Not everyone votes though, so even though 10 or 11 mill watch the show I would guess maybe only 2 mill vote if that and that is spread across multiple acts
    I did not say it was fact I just speculated that is all

By the way I did not say it was solely Irish voters, I said they were a factor possibly
    Forum Member
    You accused me lol
    And cannot back it up
    And now what your doing is what is known as backing out ;)
    By the way do not patronise me
    Not with such baseless comments as yours

Apologies if my explanation was beyond you, but I made myself quite clear. :)

Nothing to do with "backing out" as you call it, more to do with not being interested in wasting my time on someone with an agenda all their own. Byeee! :p
    Forum Member

Nothing to do with "backing out" as you call it, more to do with not being interested in wasting my time on someone with an agenda all their own. Byeee! :p
    well put id say youve won
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Last year there were 15m votes on the X Factor and 1m came from Ireland which would be in keeping with the relative size of the UK to Ireland.
    Forum Member

No it is backing out lol
    Bye
    Did I say you were wrong by the way on your so called fact week 2 misha
    You did not answer so ahh well
    As for the agenda comment explain yourself
    Forum Member
    No it is backing out lol
    Bye
    Did I say you were wrong by the way on your so called fact week 2 misha
    You did not answer so ahh well
    As for the agenda comment explain yourself

What in the blue hell are you rambling on about now? :confused:

Apparently, you don't seem to understand what "goodbye" means either. Jeez... some people... :rolleyes: