Contactless Bank Card

gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
Forum Member
✭✭
The bank sent me one of these a few days ago, and I used it the first time the other day.

Rather than putting the card in the reader, and entering a pin, I just held it against the scanner, and the transaction was immediately completed.

Surely not requiring any pin input is completely insecure? What if the card got stolen?

Comments

• JustinThePubJustinThePub Posts: 3,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The bank sent me one of these a few days ago, and I used it the first time the other day.

Rather than putting the card in the reader, and entering a pin, I just held it against the scanner, and the transaction was immediately completed.

Surely not requiring any pin input is completely insecure? What if the card got stolen?

Didn't you read the information that came with the card? That should explain.
  • floozie_21floozie_21 Posts: 3,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As far as I'm aware you can only use contactless for purchases up to £20 so at least that's some comfort if it got stolen.
  • Will_BeeWill_Bee Posts: 1,567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your card gets stolen someone can go on a spending frenzy with it, buying copious amounts of newspapers and polo mints.
  • TUCTUC Posts: 5,105
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    If your card gets stolen someone can go on a spending frenzy with it, buying copious amounts of newspapers and polo mints.

You must buy very expensive polo mints.
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    I'm getting deja vu again. I thought when you had it once you became immune :(.

Does anyone know of a cure and a pharmacy that accepts contactless payment?
  • itscoldoutsideitscoldoutside Posts: 3,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its simple, with contactless you can only spend unto £30.

Every now and then it will ask for your pin.
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As others say there is a limit. I believe that seeing the card used up to / close to it's limit several times in a row in a short space of time kicks in some kind of security mechanism?

(if it doesn't then it should - Barclays take note!!
  • henm2henm2 Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    Security fears re contactless cards are a bit OTT with the present very restrictive transaction limit of £20 and £30 from September.

A real fraudster getting hold of a contactless card is not going to bother with relatively small contactless transactions. He/She would instead quickly use the card details for much bigger item purchases both online and by telephone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can disable the contactless part by putting a small hole through the card at a certain point.
  • spkxspkx Posts: 14,870
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If someone steals your card they'll probably use it online rather than bother with using it contactlessly
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member

Sounds dodgy. When I've received them in the past, the accompanying leaflet says you will need to enter your PIN the first time you use it. The idea being given that if you don't want to enable the contactless feature, you don't have to.
  • lemoncurdlemoncurd Posts: 57,778
    Forum Member
    spkx wrote: »
    If someone steals your card they'll probably use it online rather than bother with using it contactlessly

Wouldn't be very sensible though...The delivery address would make the fraud easily traceable.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its only up to £20 (£30 from September.)
    Plenty of previous threads discussing this.

If you lose it, then there is a small window to use it illegally before a pin is required.
  • fortytwofortytwo Posts: 1,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why not spend an hour or three looking at the thread I started a while back!

It did go off course in the end but plenty of views expressed in the meantime.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2012167&highlight=contactless+cards
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It is possible for people to steal money from your card by using sensors located within their person, on the tube etc, but this is highly unlikely.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah as above they have a spending limit. I love contactless. I never used to use it but now it's annoying when I can't.
  • technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And you can use it on all tfl services like an oyster card .,
    http://www.tfl.gov.uk/fares-and-payments/contactless
  • nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I used it in Iceland the other day for £5 and it went through fine, but then tried in Aldi for £12 and it asked for a pin, not a problem, but the previous time I had tried to use it in Aldi it asked as well.

So Aldi no, Iceland yes, Aldi no. Which I found strange.
  • Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is possible for people to steal money from your card by using sensors located within their person, on the tube etc, but this is highly unlikely.

Unlikely as they need a merchant that will process the payments and usually those merchants pay the 'retailer' after a short period of time (especially small 1 man band retailers) to make sure the debits aren't fraud. If they are, they simply take the credit back from the merchant before it is paid to them. Several reports or chargebacks would lead to the merchant investigating and if necessary banning the retailer and locking all funds.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member
    I think you can only make 5 contactless purchases in a row before it asks for a PIN.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Will_Bee wrote: »
    This should be the default reply to those who complain about contactless cards.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    lemoncurd wrote: »
    Sounds dodgy. When I've received them in the past, the accompanying leaflet says you will need to enter your PIN the first time you use it. The idea being given that if you don't want to enable the contactless feature, you don't have to.
    If the first use is in an ATM or a purchase over £20 (hence PIN required) that acts as the initial authorisation for the card. Use of the PIN unlocks the card, not the contactless functionality.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thanks for the tips. I hadn't noticed any other threads, and didn't appreciate there was a small limit.
  • jonmorrisjonmorris Posts: 21,768
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TUC wrote: »
    You must buy very expensive polo mints.

WH Smith at an airport or motorway services?
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only if they were a business set up with a merchant. You can't just decide to get a merchant agreement, there are quite a few hoops to jump through.
    Complete waste of time, as there would be a full trail of everything.