No tolerance for talk of God

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The tolerance for talk of God or for someone sharing their beliefs and faith is dimenishing...in so-called free societies....I find it very alarming. My beliefs are certainly not that of a fundamentalist Christian or anything you can let's say label...but in a free society...you should be able to discuss your beliefs and not be called " a facist bastard"...

http://www.cnsnews.com/public/content/article.aspx?RsrcID=43634

Comments

• geoffSFgeoffSF Posts: 2,867
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Every time a heterosexual male American Christian complains about anything, my lesbian Argentinian Muslim god grants me 27 (over 18) male virgins.

If you had to name the least oppressed person in the world, it would be a straight male Christian American. This douchebag gets no tears.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,364
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I for one, believe freedom of speech is freedom from death and we should be allowed to speak of God, our belief in him or our complete disbelief in him. I support a Christian standing up, an atheist and everyone for that matter, speaking their mind.

What happened to being a civil and tolerant society? What happened to agreeing to disagree? And why is it, that the liberals seem more judgmental than the conservatives they continually bash? What is the deal with, as long as you see it my way, you're ok?

I am starting to believe, the lack of tolerance comes down to immaturity and ignorrance. So perhaps it's time everyone grew-up and learned a simple word, RESPECT;)
  • vanzandtfanvanzandtfan Posts: 8,897
    Forum Member
    I wonder if one of the Bible verses he quotes was from leviticus? :rolleyes:

I believe in freedom of speech, but if someone exercises their freedom to spout homophobic crap, they shouldn't be surprised when someone else exercises their freedom of speech and calls them a fascist bastard.
  • academiaacademia Posts: 18,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    None of us has any idea what this boy said. The professor's attitude, if the story is true, in entirely wrong.
    Forum Member
    academia wrote: »
    None of us has any idea what this boy said. The professor's attitude, if the story is true, in entirely wrong.

Read between the lines and it's pretty obvious what the student said.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,682
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You believe everything you read in new websites?
  • SamlinSamlin Posts: 68
    Forum Member
    This week we learned of even more countries and cities banning the "atheist bus" poster, despite continuing to allow religious adverts.
    Forum Member
    You believe everything you read in new websites?

:confused: Why highlight my post? The OP believed the story, why not quote his? Is it because, instead of simply believing it, I don't agree with the student?

Given what the student's lawyer said about the student (reading the dictionary definition of marriage and quoting two Bible verses) and given the debate in California regarding prop 8, it's blatantly obvious that that the student was being homophobic.
  • CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I for one, believe freedom of speech is freedom from death and we should be allowed to speak of God, our belief in him or our complete disbelief in him. I support a Christian standing up, an atheist and everyone for that matter, speaking their mind.

What happened to being a civil and tolerant society? What happened to agreeing to disagree? And why is it, that the liberals seem more judgmental than the conservatives they continually bash? What is the deal with, as long as you see it my way, you're ok?

I am starting to believe, the lack of tolerance comes down to immaturity and ignorrance. So perhaps it's time everyone grew-up and learned a simple word, RESPECT;)

*as s/he said*
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This one again?

As I said in the thread about it in politics, I completely support the Professor in excercising his 1st amendment rights in response to someone exercising their 1st amendment rights.

I don't agree with kicking the kid out the class, but other than the fact that the kid got kicked out the class for having a dissenting opinion, I really don't care.
  • tysonstormtysonstorm Posts: 24,609
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Is it? what did he say? were you there? do you have source material as to what was said?. And on a side note do you know what I said to the bus driver this morning? can you also tell me the lottery numbers for tonight? ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    :confused: Why highlight my post? The OP believed the story, why not quote his? Is it because, instead of simply believing it, I don't agree with the student?

Given what the student's lawyer said about the student (reading the dictionary definition of marriage and quoting two Bible verses) and given the debate in California regarding prop 8, it's blatantly obvious that that the student was being homophobic.

It may be obvious to you, the rest of us would rather wait for the facts first before making ill-thought out judgements.
    Forum Member
    tysonstorm wrote: »
    It may be obvious to you, the rest of us would rather wait for the facts first before making ill-thought out judgements.

There are plenty of people on this thread who aren't wating for the facts, but are supporting the student, so I'm not sure what you mean by "the rest of us would rather wait for the facts first before making ill-thought out judgements". :confused:

And yes, it is blatantly obvious. I can't understand how I'm the only person to pick this up :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it's quite hypocritical of the Prof. for shouting down a pupil, then threatening him with expulsion if the student complained to the Prof's superiors. That sounds more like fascism than what the pupil is alleged to have said. In fact his attitude towards the student is somewhat Stalinist.

But hey, he's a Christian so he probably deserved to be treat like this hey DS?
  • weateallthepiesweateallthepies Posts: 4,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Whilst I agree we don't know, it isn't that ill-thought out if you read the article. It's certainly the first thing I thought off.

But yeah best to wait and see.
    Forum Member
    Is it? what did he say? were you there? do you have source material as to what was said?. And on a side note do you know what I said to the bus driver this morning? can you also tell me the lottery numbers for tonight? ;)

Okay, let me explain. California has just gone through a debate about proposition 8, which basically makes gay marriage illegal.

Then you have a student who according to his lawyer who is going to put the best take on it after all, causes a bit of a furore by quoting the Bible and the dictionary definition of marriage. Isn't it obvious what this story is really all about?
  • wolfpawwolfpaw Posts: 10,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lopez didn’t receive a grade for his speech. Instead the professor left the assignment sheet on the student’s backpack.

On it was written, ‘Ask God what your grade is,’

LOL :D
  • WokStationWokStation Posts: 23,112
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes, because Christians are so hard done by, aren't they? I mean, they don't impact the national policies of two western countries at all, do they?

In the US there are states that have it in their constitution that you may not run for office if you do not believe in a god or gods. God is in the UK national anthem. Churches get special treatment with regard to policy-making and often taxbreaks too.

The whole idea of Christians trying to play the victim card when they essentially control the US and the UK seems a tad silly to me.
  • wolfpawwolfpaw Posts: 10,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    When I hear anyone of a religious persuasion bleating on about unfair treatment I just roll my eyes like this :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It does seem obvious that the student is implied to have been homophobic. If that is the case, then the professor was right not to tolerate it - but it does seem he handled it like an arse.
    Forum Member
    I think it's quite hypocritical of the Prof. for shouting down a pupil, then threatening him with expulsion if the student complained to the Prof's superiors. That sounds more like fascism than what the pupil is alleged to have said. In fact his attitude towards the student is somewhat Stalinist.

So much for "the rest of us would rather wait for the facts first before making ill-thought out judgements." :rolleyes:

A bit hypocrtical perhaps?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    In the US there are states that have it in their constitution that you may not run for office if you do not believe in a god or gods.
    Is that true? I was under the impression that the guy who replaced Biden as senator is an atheist.
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    WokStation wrote: »
    Yes, because Christians are so hard done by, aren't they? I mean, they don't impact the national policies of two western countries at all, do they?

In the US there are states that have it in their constitution that you may not run for office if you do not believe in a god or gods. God is in the UK national anthem. Churches get special treatment with regard to policy-making and often taxbreaks too.

The whole idea of Christians trying to play the victim card when they essentially control the US and the UK seems a tad silly to me.

Exactly - there's a lot of tolerance for talk of God.
  • Slainte MhathSlainte Mhath Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Is it? what did he say? were you there? do you have source material as to what was said?. And on a side note do you know what I said to the bus driver this morning?

What you said is not in the news with a heavy implication that you were spouting outdated anti-gay nonsense.