Options

Come on then.....black James Bond

Comments

• Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Takae wrote: »
    I certainly can see where you're coming from, which is why I essentially have no problem with your disagreement with the idea of making Bond non-white. :)

I'm just interested in knowing why some couldn't see beyond skin colour when it's not relevant to the character and the story as the whole.

Thanks, and I'm glad that you understand that its not a race issue for me. If Bond had been black in the books and had been portrayed as such in film since the beginning, or even had been white in the books then portrayed as black then I would have major misgivings if they decided to change him to a white character on screen.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What if the films idea is more common that the book?

Look at Wizard Of Oz if someone made that true to the book word for word it could get a 18 with all the murder and limbs getting chopped off and drugs.

Dorothy in the Oz books is 10/12 years old. Came as a shock when I learnt this a few years ago. :D
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    Takae wrote: »
    Dorothy in the Oz books is 10/12 years old. Came as a shock when I learnt this a few years ago. :D

I know and they couldn't just make a film with a 10 year old in the part even more if they had to stay true to the books

I have got and have read the books and they are very violent there is noway it would be a kids films if it stayed true to the book (I have seen edited versions for kids)
  • Options
    Pull2OpenPull2Open Posts: 15,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RebelScum wrote: »
    In the TNG episode it's explained all Humaoinds share the same genetic material. So I guess that explains some of the evolutionary similarities between different alien races, despite being so different in other ways. (Vulcan's have green blood though).

You're right and I knew that, don't know why I said blue! :blush:
    It was described as being copper based blood which in liquid form gives a blue hue so maybe that's why I thought that. It was still produce paler skin though! ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Pull2Open wrote: »
    I don't think its meant the way you think. I often used to ask myself the same question but not because the actor was black, it was because Vulcan's have blue blood which you would think would make the skin ultra pale/blue/grey. Nimoy in tos was certainly given a very pale look, paler than the other white actors anyway.

To be fair Spock is half human so that could explain his pale look could be from his mothers side
  • Options
    That usernameThat username Posts: 467
    Forum Member
    I miss the Roger Moore's James Bond.

The current films are much better but the politically correct James Bond's charm is gone, he can't even save his boss these days.

So why not a black James Bond, why not a black woman for a James Bond?

I would have liked to see Hugh Grant as James Bond!
  • Options
    Funk YouFunk You Posts: 6,864
    Forum Member
    Me names Bond blud! James Bond innit :-D
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funk You wrote: »
    Me names Bond blud! James Bond innit :-D

Not the BEST Idris Elba impression I've heard, I'll say that much...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many MI6 agents in the real world are black?
    94% of MI5 staff are white, they have had a recruitment campaign to try and recruit more Asians due to needing agents who do not standout like a soar thumb when trying to do surveilance or trying to infiltrate.

As Bond is a former British Navy officer how many British Navy officers are black.
    Only 3.5% of British Navy personnel are non white, and the non white personnel are disproportionately less likely to be officers.
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am a fan of Elba, loved the Wire and think he's been pretty decent in a number of other things

I'd have no problem at all with him being the new Jason Bourne, Bond however not so much. It wouldn't 'ruin' it for me, far from it, and I have no doubt I'd watch but for me this role is kinda different.

Heck there was enough of a furore when Daniel Craig was initially suggested for the role due to him being blonde, so I can understand the fuss here too.

I'm all for diversity in our media and equal opportunities but for me Bond is Bond. I'd say the same if they tried to change him to Jane Bond or American Bond or anything else.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    94% of MI5 staff are white, they have had a recruitment campaign to try and recruit more Asians due to needing agents who do not standout like a soar thumb when trying to do surveilance or trying to infiltrate.

As Bond is a former British Navy officer how many British Navy officers are black.
    Only 3.5% of British Navy personnel are non white, and the non white personnel are disproportionately less likely to be officers.
    So how does any of that stop a black man playing James Bond.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member

You do understand that James Bond is f'all like real spying don't you?
    Super villains and all that old tosh.
    IIRC he finished one of the early books battling with a giant squid FFS.
    The bloke keeps change appearance and character every few years.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How many MI6 and Navy officers in the real world are anything at all like James Bond in any OTHER respect? They're fun fantasy action movies. They don't represent real MI6 life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    So how does any of that stop a black man playing James Bond.
    Some posters have made the point that Bond is a British Agent and there are lots of black people in Britain or that it is only right that the Bond films should reflect the diverstity in the UK. Just pointing out that in the real world the odds of a black former Naval officer MI6 agent are pretty damn slim. They would be few and far between if there are even any. So a black OO7 James Bond would not be reflecting our society as it is but as many people would like it to be.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some posters have made the point that Bond is a British Agent and there are lots of black people in Britain or that it is only right that the Bond films should reflect the diverstity in the UK. Just pointing out that in the real world the odds of a black former Naval officer MI6 agent are pretty damn slim. They would be few and far between if there are even any. So a black James Bond would not be reflecting our society as it is but as many people would like it to be.

I'm pretty sure anyone capable of as many superhuman feats as Mr Bond would rise through the ranks pretty damn quickly no matter WHAT colour skin he had.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stoatie wrote: »
    How many MI6 and Navy officers in the real world are anything at all like James Bond in any OTHER respect? They're fun fantasy action movies. They don't represent real MI6 life.
    I'm pretty sure anyone capable of as many superhuman feats as Mr Bond would rise through the ranks pretty damn quickly no matter WHAT colour skin he had.
    It just strikes me as like American TV shows which portray lots of black people in roles they are disportionately unlikely to have in the real America, American TV seems to presents a version of America as they would like it to be or like it to be seen in regards to race, rather than how it is where such people would be atypical and uncommon not the norm.
  • Options
    Forum Member

True if anything it would just show how good he is
  • Options
    RhumbatuggerRhumbatugger Posts: 85,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think a black James Bond would be fine. But he'd still have to be suave, sophisticated, beautiful and brutal.

And humorous, of course.

I don't really see the problem except for finding an actor that would have enough charisma and suit the role. Elba is a bit too old and intense for me.
  • Options
    jeffiner1892jeffiner1892 Posts: 14,331
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Joey_J wrote: »
    The books have the image of Harry Potter on the front

He's very much White from the off :)

He also has green eyes though, which was my big bugbear about Daniel in the role.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It just strikes me as like American TV shows which portray lots of black people in roles they are disportionately unlikely to have in the real America, American TV seems to presents a version of America as they would like it to be or like it to be seen in regards to race, rather than how it is where such people would be atypical and uncommon not the norm.

Which shows do you have in mind?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The major problem I can forsee is box office takings and sales of blu-rays, etc; In many parts of the world a black James bond will result in lower takings. Which is why I seriously doubt the next James Bond will be Black. I mean how many major films have white leads and how many have black leads, and how many of those black leads were already very famous in the major markets for films before geting a major leading role in a big budget film. Casting a relatively unkown black man to star as James Bond in a hugely expensive film is not a gamble I can see a film studio or its investors taking.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some posters have made the point that Bond is a British Agent and there are lots of black people in Britain or that it is only right that the Bond films should reflect the diverstity in the UK. Just pointing out that in the real world the odds of a black former Naval officer MI6 agent are pretty damn slim. They would be few and far between if there are even any. So a black OO7 James Bond would not be reflecting our society as it is but as many people would like it to be.

I didn't say that, actually. What I said was "There's diversity in our society and some films should reflect that." For some reason, you've interpreted 'diversity' as 'black people' and 'some films' as Bond films. For clarification's sake: diversity = a range of ethnicities, gender, sexual orientation, age, family dynamics, nationalities, etc.

In any case, your point pretty much has no legs. There was a few non-white British fighters - including black/Asian RAF pilots and officers - and non-white British spies during WWI and WWII, but they rarely showed up in British war films (I only spotted one, a black RAF officer in a Dirk Bogarde war film). Edited: Appointment in London (1952): screenshot here.

Going by your logic, the British industry was in the wrong for failing to include them in war films all these years?
    The major problem I can forsee is box office takings and sales of blu-rays, etc; In many parts of the world a black James bond will result in lower takings. Which is why I seriously doubt the next James Bond will be Black. I mean how many major films have white leads and how many have black leads, and how many of those black leads were already very famous in the major markets for films before geting a major leading role in a big budget film. Casting a relatively unkown black man to star as James Bond in a hugely expensive film is not a gamble I can see a film studio or its investors taking.

God, not that old chestnut again. *headdesk* Let's take Hancock as an example.

It stars Will Smith, who is black, as its lead: "A scruffy superhero named Hancock (Will Smith) protects the citizens of Los Angeles but leaves horrendous collateral damage in the wake of every well-intentioned feat."

The total of domestic (U.S.) box office in 2008 for Hancock: $227,946,274
    The total of foreign box office in 2008 for Hancock: $396,440,472.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which shows do you have in mind?
    Most of the American cop shows, poitical dramas, court room dramas, medical dramas, in fact most American shows in general have their supporting cast usually littered with black people in senior positions as if it is the norm in the good old USA for black people to be in senior positions.
  • Options
    DiabolusDiabolus Posts: 1,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the American cop shows, poitical dramas, court room dramas, medical dramas, in fact most American shows in general have their supporting cast usually littered with black people in senior positions as if it is the norm in the good old USA for black people to be in senior positions.

They even put a black president in 24 (RIP David Palmer). I mean as if that kinda thing would ever happen right?
  • Options
    Forum Member

And in reality crime shows shows black men very often hold senior positions.

My mum watches though shows on TLC and the real life crime shows and in almost every one there are black senior officers