• F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,840
    Forum Member
    Definitely Quite Fun

Don't Quit Farting

…. any more? :p
  • R410R410 Posts: 2,991
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will practice sessions be shown BBC HD aswell? Or just BBC Two?
  • anywho'sanywho's Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    R410 wrote: »

BBC HD will be have been changed into BBC2 HD by then, so highly likely to be in HD.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member

BBC HD will become BBC Two HD end of March
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lettice wrote: »
    BBC HD will become BBC Two HD end of March

Didnt realise it was happening that soon. Great news.
  • stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,079
    Forum Member
    F1 Mike wrote: »
    Definitely Quite Fun

Don't Quit Farting

…. any more? :p

Donkey Quotes Fiennes (Ranulph, the explorer)
  • Kolin KlingonKolin Klingon Posts: 4,296
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt realise it was happening that soon. Great news.

March the 26th I believe.

:)
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    D.M.N. wrote: »
    Also - EJ and DC confirmed for 2013

I wonder is that a good or bad thing??

Personally I don't mind EJ in small doses, can't stand Coulthard but did think he used to work well with Brundle and they should be commentating together. Not a huge fan of the current Edwards, Coulthard combo.....
  • _SpeedRacer__SpeedRacer_ Posts: 6,724
    Forum Member
    Yep, a combination of the cutback of interactive streams and DQF will have led to this decision.

As part of DQF, BBC Two daytime will consist of content from elsewhere on the BBC, and making more use of the BBC's existing sports rights - hence the Monday afternoon Six Nations highlights package on air at the moment. It's clear that F1 practice comes under this - it's an effective use of resources, and great news for F1 fans.

Do we think that this will change the tone of the coverage at all? I doubt that there will be an in-vision presence, but will the commentary change to be in a more formal 'mainstream' style? I doubt it personally, but you never know...
    The current tone of commentary is fine as it is; there's really no alternative.
  • F1 MikeF1 Mike Posts: 5,840
    Forum Member

Personally I don't mind EJ in small doses, can't stand Coulthard but did think he used to work well with Brundle and they should be commentating together. Not a huge fan of the current Edwards, Coulthard combo.....

it's been fine I just wish DC would keep quiet when Ben is trying to talk us through the action bits.
    But ol' Dave has become an essential part of the show in my opinion
  • mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,091
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SSF1 schedule:

Tue 19 Mar:
    8.00pm F1 Classic race - Malaysia 1999
    10.15pm F1 Classic race - Malaysia 2001

Wed 20 Mar:
    8.00pm F1 Classic race - Malaysia 2002
    10.15pm F1 Classic race - Malaysia 2003

Thur 21 Mar:
    8.00pm F1 Classic race - Malaysia 2007
  • D.M.N.D.M.N. Posts: 34,171
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    SSF1 schedule:

Tue 19 Mar:
    8.00pm F1 Classic race - Malaysia 1999
    10.15pm F1 Classic race - Malaysia 2001

Wed 20 Mar:
    8.00pm F1 Classic race - Malaysia 2002
    10.15pm F1 Classic race - Malaysia 2003

Thur 21 Mar:
    8.00pm F1 Classic race - Malaysia 2007

The great thing about these is that there are actually repeats scheduled, so if you miss it the first time, you're not stuffed.
  • AdderAdder Posts: 1,983
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously? Brundle and Coulthard was like all syrup sponge pudding and no custard, just didn't work nothing to tie things to together and not satisfying.

Putting Ben Edwards into the mix ties things together much more effectively, he is very sharp at reading a race and knowing what is going on, it's forced Couthard to up his game and make his own contributions far more impactful.
  • User68571User68571 Posts: 3,901
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adder wrote: »
    Seriously? Brundle and Coulthard was like all syrup sponge pudding and no custard, just didn't work nothing to tie things to together and not satisfying.

Putting Ben Edwards into the mix ties things together much more effectively, he is very sharp at reading a race and knowing what is going on, it's forced Couthard to up his game and make his own contributions far more impactful.

It's a subjective opinion.... There is no 'right' commentary team. Personally I dislike Edwards overly dramatic action delivery, and he also made no end of mistakes. I disagree on his sharpness... I often see things in the race, live timing etc minutes before he announces it as some insight. The point I'm making is that nobody is perfect and it's pointless trying to convince people there is only one valid choice.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BBC to screen practice sessions for the live races on BBC Two this year

Sorry but this news has forced a temporary halt to my hiatus! All I can say is YES,YES,YES!!!!!!

It means it will be in HD and we will get to see the figures!! That's the only good thing that has come out of the DQF for F1! :D

Thank you BBC. They haven't entirely abandoned the sport yet! ;) Now BBC Two has no Daytime you will see allot of this I reckon. This year we have not only had Snooker but Bowls and cycling oh and the Darts highlights. Not major but it's nice to see them using the air time for niche sports.

Oh. That's cheered me up! :D Question? Will Suzi introduce it or will it just still be straight into the action? I suspect we will get titles then the sting and then the commentator saying hello. Do they still stick with 5live? Probably.?

Interesting. I didn't think they had the balls to do that and they have. Anyway I'm off again!:D I don't have time for this at the moment!!!!! :(

Ken
  • mjrmjr Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great news about practice being on BBC2 (HD). Not that I would necessarily have wanted the fate that BBC2 has at daytime (i.e. repeats etc), but given that DQF is happening, hats off to whoever it was inside the BBC that made the connection that the F1 practice is content they have available anyway and so would cost nothing extra - not even repeat fees - to show on BBC2 (HD) during the day.

I can already hear the "Dear Points of View..." letters though complaining about too much motor sport :D
  • JonpollakJonpollak Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did you make it to that pub near MSG?
    Jp
    Incast wrote: »
    This is no surprise to me, I'm currently in the US:
    1. Danica's pole immediately increased media attention for the entire week running up to the race. She was constantly being interviewed by various news programmes.
    2. The Nationwide accident further intensified interest.

The Danica bounce (which Indycar also experienced) is unlikely to last, however. Unless she can emerge as one of the frontrunners, which I don't see happening.
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diminished Quality Forever.

Hope not though ;)
  • alexj2002alexj2002 Posts: 3,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Disagree 100%. It was a pleasant surprise seeing how well she did last year, and I'd have her instead of Lazenby every day of the week. Less wooden, less dry, able to have a laugh while still remaining professional without the laughter seeming forced or awkward, no general awkwardness, whereas Lazenby was just.......yeah, he was all those things I mentioned, and barely improved through the year. Even if Thompson was the ugliest woman on the planet I'd rather have her than Lazenby presenting the whole thing.

GT was the Jake Humphrey of SSF1 for me - for both I thought the worst when their names were announced, but they actually turned out to be great presenters with a decent enough amount of knowledge to be able to tee up the experts.

So maybe they do read this forum ;)
  • Chris_WilliamsChris_Williams Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    So, according to http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01nzcww, who commentated for the BBC on practice for the 2012 Brazillian Grand Prix? :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alexj2002 wrote: »
    GT was the Jake Humphrey of SSF1 for me - for both I thought the worst when their names were announced, but they actually turned out to be great presenters with a decent enough amount of knowledge to be able to tee up the experts.

So maybe they do read this forum ;)

When I read DMNs post I immediately thought back to when we mentioned it earlier.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some perfect reminders of why I will be watching BBC coverage when they are live this season:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20976191.

Dont agree with some (most) of the choices but some great Ben moments to wet the appetite for.. Shanghai.
  • F1-AddictF1-Addict Posts: 812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had hoped they would do this. Great to get the full weekend in HD & recordable on the BBC but I would've liked to have had this a few years ago ideally. It's probably a case of the BBC raising their game in response to Sky and I expect it might dent Sky's ratings to an extent.

For this reason I wouldn't be surprised if Sky have a sudden change of heart when it comes to adverts during practice since beyond the interactive options Sky's live coverage will be identical to the BBC on head-to-head race weekends this season except for a total of 25 minutes or so of live practice missed on the former. Although I half expect any changes would only be on non-exclusive weekends as seems to be the way with Sky.
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    While not in HD it has always been recordable.
  • codename_47codename_47 Posts: 9,682
    Forum Member
    Ajay wrote: »
    Some perfect reminders of why I will be watching BBC coverage when they are live this season:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/20976191.

Dont agree with some (most) of the choices but some great Ben moments to wet the appetite for.. Shanghai.

Nice work BBC

Both Sky and the BBC have put out a best of overtaking compilation now and although they've had different passes in each vid from it you can discern that Raikkonen and Hamilton are the best overtakers on the grid, with perhaps Alonso a close second to them.

Glad to see both broadcasters highlighting the reason we actually watch the damn sport in the first place, the RACING ;)
This discussion has been closed.