Options

Which iMac to go for?

justjaxjustjax Posts: 939
Forum Member
✭✭
So I'm considering a iMac. I'd rather not spend more money than needed but if I go for the base model at £899 will I regret it?

Specs here http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-mac/imac

When it comes to Windows PC's I've always steered clear of the cheapest/budget models as they usually have older processors and lack RAM etc. So do the same principles apply with a iMac? Or is the base model a good solid machine?

Comments

• Options
    MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    you need to know what you want from the machine....without that theres no way of guessing your needs from a 50 quid second hand 386 laptop to a 2000 quid top of the range imac
  • Options
    Dark 1Dark 1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Or go for a refurb. That way you might be able to get a higher end model for bottom end price.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac
  • Options
    rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd go for the big one with the retina display :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well i guess it would mainly be just web browsing, using MS Office type apps, watching online streaming, etc. Have possibly thought I'd like to try and do some basic video editing with iMovie.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This isn't meant to start a war, but if you don't want to spend a fortune, why not a less costly PC?
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why Mac?

You could get a superior spec Windows PC for half the cost?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dark 1 wrote: »
    Or go for a refurb. That way you might be able to get a higher end model for bottom end price.

http://store.apple.com/uk/browse/home/specialdeals/mac/imac
    Ohh, didn't even think about that. Temping.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This isn't meant to start a war, but if you don't want to spend a fortune, why not a less costly PC?
    Well when I say I don't want to spend a fortune I mean I don't want to speed more than I need to. At the end of the day if I'm buying Apple I know its not going to be a cheap option.
    TheBigM wrote: »
    Why Mac?

You could get a superior spec Windows PC for half the cost?
    Well I've been tempted to get a Mac for a few years. I bought my last PC (Dell laptop) back in 2011 and my first iPad in Spring 2012. If I'd bought the iPad sooner, I think I would have gotten a Mac instead of the Dell. I like the idea of the link between the Apple products. I have an iPhone and iMac and I love that I can write a note on my iPad and pick it up and carry on editing a document on my iPhone. Then seeing some of the new feature of OS X Yosemite during the last Apple event peaked my interest, especially the handover between the devices.
  • Options
    alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the 21" iMac using a budget TN panel for the monitor would it not be best buying an Apple Mac Mini to use with your existing/bought elsewhere monitor?

Plus new monitors often give a 3 year warranty as standard
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    justjax wrote: »
    ...I bought my last PC (Dell laptop) back in 2011...

I'll throw this in here but considering your minimal requirements and the spec needed for them, do you actually need a new machine?

My Windows PC and my Mac are both 2011 models. I use them both for work and gaming - 3D modelling, animation, video editing, graphic design, DTP, illustration, photo editing, essentially much heavier duty stuff than what you do - and I'm still not considering upgrading either just yet.

Also, cross platform working isn't limited to Macs and Apple products. Get Dropbox, for example: Start working on a file on your iPad - syncs with Dropbox - continue working on the file on your Android phone - syncs with Dropbox - finish file off once your home on your main computer.

I'd suggest not rushing into anything. Take your time and do your homework, get to an Apple store and try out a Mac. For everything you do you really don't need to spend lots of money, as suggested even a Mac Mini would do.

If your 2011 laptop is getting sluggish then, in the meantime, there are many things you can do to get it back up to scratch...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You guys are no fun. Of course I don't need to buy a new computer .. Its just a case of wanting one ;)

Laptop is fine, a little bit sluggish but not hugely so. I get that I can use stuff like Dropbox to work across platforms but I love with Apple that it's just integrated into the OS, so native apps like Notes or Pages, Keynote etc just all auto sync or hand over.

In terms of the Mac Mini, well that's exactly where I started. I saw at the Apple Event that they'd refreshed it and I thought this would be a low cost way to get into a Mac but then figured by the time I got a decent monitor, keyboard and mouse I was getting close to iMac territory and therefore why not just get a nice all in one slick option. If I had a standalone monitor already I would almost certainly just do the mini.

Really temped to go the Refurbished route. While they are last years model I can get what is the next model up for the base model price. Any reasons to avoid a refurb?
  • Options
    IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That cheapest, and I use that word loosely, mac has a processor that you'd put in a laptop to save a battery not in a desktop. If I wanted a desktop I'd want it to have a bit more oomph, not just to look pretty.
  • Options
    TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You already have a desktop PC so you could use your existing mouse, keyboard and monitor alongside a Mac Mini.
    But...the refreshed Mac Mini has become quite disappointing and is not at all upgradable so I would go for an iMac.

Personally, I would go 27" if you can. It's a shame the new 5K iMacs are so expensive because their screens are supposed to be amazing.

Go for an SSD - I have a Fusion drive and find it quite sluggish in opening apps and things (I have a very good spec including 16GB of RAM and video memory of 4GB).

I'd say go for the base 27-inch iMac. At least you get the value of a large WQHD screen. The 21" 1080p one just doesn't feel worth it for paying the Apple tax.
  • Options
    steveOooosteveOooo Posts: 5,002
    Forum Member
    refurb - typically 10-15% cheaper - last years model but comes with 12months applecare (extendable to 3 years) and is brand new - the only difference, you get it in a plain brown box.

Also use a cashback site for a further 2-3% off.

with the imac - decide what you need it for - graphics? video editing or general web browsing / playing videos / music?

I would 'future proof' it by getting the highest-spec processor, highest graphics card and highest fusion drive (3tb).

RAM is the only think I wouldnt upgrade on the apple store as this is 'user replaceable'
    go to crucial.co.uk to get more ram - you just need a phillips scredriver and to not have the shakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Well i guess it would mainly be just web browsing, using MS Office type apps, watching online streaming, etc. Have possibly thought I'd like to try and do some basic video editing with iMovie.

21" base would be fine for occasional imovie editing.

You cant replace the processor or harrdrive or graphics card (easily / user replaceable) but you can replace the ram - so i personally would get the highest processor, graphics card and harddrive i could get - this may extend the imacs usefullness by 1-2 years (ie it will keep up with 4k video on websites, 3d stuff, holographic unicorns etc that we will see in the future)!
  • Options
    mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any reasons to avoid a refurb?

None at all if buying direct from Apple. My last 2 have been refurbs direct from Apple.

I've had more problems with 3rd party refurbs but places like http://www.thelaptopcentre.co.uk/apple-mac-laptops.html have decent enough customer support and always replaced stuff quickly.

The point about looking after your 2011 kit is that, if you continue with whatever habits you've developed, no matter what you get they'll start getting sluggish or whatever after a short time again. 3 years for your minimal requirements really is nothing, the 2011 kit should still be zipping along and may just need a clean up.

Yes, the Apple cloud sync out of the box is all well and good but it has a fair few problems. At least with 3rd party solutions you have degrees of further control...
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you can afford it upgrade the HDD to SSD on the iMac it will make a huge performance jump. Moving to Mac was the best thing i did a couple of years ago, i regret not doing it years before, go buy and enjoy :)
  • Options
    sonicshadowsonicshadow Posts: 8,388
    Forum Member
    steveOooo wrote: »
    21" base would be fine for occasional imovie editing.

You cant replace the processor or harrdrive or graphics card (easily / user replaceable) but you can replace the ram - so i personally would get the highest processor, graphics card and harddrive i could get - this may extend the imacs usefullness by 1-2 years (ie it will keep up with 4k video on websites, 3d stuff, holographic unicorns etc that we will see in the future)!

The RAM on the 21 inch isn't user upgradable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Quackers wrote: »
    If you can afford it upgrade the HDD to SSD on the iMac it will make a huge performance jump. Moving to Mac was the best thing i did a couple of years ago, i regret not doing it years before, go buy and enjoy :)

Fusion drive is near as good - the speed of ssd with the storage of spinning disc

I have a ssd/HDD combo on my Mac Pro 2010 - 2 years before apple came out with 'fusin drive'
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Just a thought on pricing. At the beginning of Decenber there is the "American" Black Monday sale when everything is sold for one day at a big discount. Even John Lewis did it last year but iPads were out of stock so I bought one for my OH directly from Apple.

As it was such a big discount I went for a higher spec and am tempted to do the same again this year with a Mac mini.

I like Windows but the latest incarnation just seems over complicated for basic tasks so (while trying Linux too) may well increase our Apple inventory.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Just a thought on pricing. At the beginning of Decenber there is the "American" Black Monday sale when everything is sold for one day at a big discount. Even John Lewis did it last year but iPads were out of stock so I bought one for my OH directly from Apple.

As it was such a big discount I went for a higher spec and am tempted to do the same again this year with a Mac mini.

I like Windows but the latest incarnation just seems over complicated for basic tasks so (while trying Linux too) may well increase our Apple inventory.

theres no guarantee that apple will follow the black friday tradition so if you want one get someone to get an educational discount and the same for applecare as the spec won't change for at least a year anyway so its not like you'll get less for your money
  • Options
    TeeGeeTeeGee Posts: 5,772
    Forum Member
    Maxatoria wrote: »
    theres no guarantee that apple will follow the black friday tradition so if you want one get someone to get an educational discount and the same for applecare as the spec won't change for at least a year anyway so its not like you'll get less for your money

Apple (and others) did it last year. What makes you think that they might not do it again?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TeeGee wrote: »
    Apple (and others) did it last year. What makes you think that they might not do it again?

ah i remember that apple gave away gift cards to US customers so basically they paid full price and got so much back that they could only spend in apple stores.....crafty buggers
  • Options
    LushnessLushness Posts: 38,170
    Forum Member
    I have two iMacs, first bought in 2004 and the second a few years ago both basic models. I've never had a problem with either; best computing decision I've made.
  • Options
    DRAGON LANCEDRAGON LANCE Posts: 1,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pros of a Mac are a better Operating system plays a lot more nicely than Windows and is a million times more reliable. Also worth pointing out the reason so many of Apples machines are built around laptop processors is because OSX just doesn't need to use the power that bloated Windows does to operate properly. It gives Windows desktop results on laptop level hardware.

Unless you need the power of a big bad energy guzzling CPU for something professional I really wouldn't worry about it.

The other benefit is they come with much better monitors than the average Windows machine as standard.

The downside to Mac's are they are pretty much all totally non upgradable. On their most recent machines Apple have soldered everything in so you can't upgrade the machine yourself. If you want more memory you have to pay their rip off prices on their online store for them to build you a Mac to that spec.

They also seem to be on a crusade to take as many useful things off their Mac's as possible. You know silly little things you might want like giving you enough USB ports, DVD drives, ethernet ports. Apple would prefer you buy these as overpriced add ons to get those features back.

Sometimes you wonder if they want to turn all their systems into iPads...

Overall I'd say if you are fed up of Windows and have the money give them a blast. In the long run most people love them for the reliability and for that reason alone never want to go back to a Windows machine.