Options

Phobias

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,263
Forum Member
What phobias do you have? Are they lifelong obsessions or something you've grown aware of as you got older?

I've got 2 that spring to mind immediately

Liver..yuk...the touch, feel and look of it is enough to put me off. I remember my mum trying to feed it to me when I was about 3 and I was violently sick. I have never so much as even looked at liver since.

Piercing..though I've given blood for years so I'm not scared per se of needles, the thought of my ears and other parts of my anatomy being pierced just makes me squirm. I felt very silly a few years ago when I went with my then 10 year old nsice (I was 36) to get our ears pierced. She thought it was a hoot and no trouble at all..I broke out in sweats and cried and wimped out of it..:rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    DeerdDeerd Posts: 21,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    snakes...can't even watch them on TV and have only recently desensitized enough to see them in still pics:o . tho tis very bizzare cos when i was a kid i used to keep imaginary snakes under my bed and when i started school i used to come home and teach them spelling and maths:o ...i think my downfall was when i started to tease my little sis that they were gonna get her if she annoyed me...maybe through guilt (aherm, some would say divine retribution) i actually started to believe my own teasing...have been horridly phobic ever since:( :o

and

denstists/dentistry...think i hate being out of control and not being able to see what's happening...still can't watch/listen to that scene out of the Marathon Man...bzzzzz, bzzzzzzzzz... :eek: god i hate the drill:(

p.s. think this may be a duplicate thread too, sorry...och well keeps the mods on their toes:cool: :D
  • Options
    peppiepeppie Posts: 12,499
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Balloons................:o

i can't stand them.....................:cry: I just think they are always going to explode in my face:cry::cry::o :rolleyes:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dwarfs. I know its a horrible thing to say and I wish it wasnt true but they scare the life out of me. Cant wqatch Wizard of Oz cos of them little people or Willy Wonka with the Umpa Lumpas. I get all shakey and have to walk out the room.
    Hate needles as well. I had Iritis when I was a kid and I had to have injections in my eyes and still can picture it in my head now. Would love to give blood but last time I had a blood test I threw up.
    :o:cry:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    heights - cant stand them - cant even stand on a chair without getting all dizzy :rolleyes:

spiders - yuck, very scry indeed (even the little weeny ones).

enclosed spaces - got stuck in a lift once :eek: :( was very scary.

needles - altho im usually ok as long as i dont look at them.

anxiety - it actually scares me!

used to be terrified of dentists (had to have 10 teeth out when i was a kid), but since i had all my wisdom teeth out last year (which was the most painful and scary experience ever) ive got used to them cos i cant really have anything worse done than have them out, and i got thru that :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    what about this tiny one deerd,??? u cant be scared of this one!!!! :eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me, it's FIRE. It scares me silly to the point where I can't even watch films like Backdraft or stand anywhere near a bonfire. Extends to fireworks too.

Don't know why but if I did I guess it wouldn't be a phobia.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    im not being silly, or just daft, but i think i have a phobia of running out of smokes, i cant handle not having a smoke, i always have to have one, whether i want one or not, i must have have them with me at all times, if i go on holiday and realise that half way there i left them at home, i would go to the nearest shop and get some!!!,
    :D hmmmmmm, must stop one day!
    :rolleyes:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,288
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think you can get much dumber than my phobia but I’ve had it since I was a kid - bits of thread/cotton on carpet, clothes or any fabric - it makes me recoil and even feel a bit sick. These days I just get out the Hoover and suck em up without having to look but as a kid I’d rush out of the room and refuse to return till it had been removed:o

The other childhood one I have is over-frisky dogs - especially when they jump up on you..... I got knocked over by a large over-friendly Labrador when I was wee and never quite got over it. Generally I do like dogs but am just a bit weary of the bigger, bouncier ones and also the loud, aggressive barkers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by cupcake
    I don't think you can get much dumber than my phobia but I’ve had it since I was a kid - bits of thread/cotton on carpet, clothes or any fabric - it makes me recoil and even feel a bit sick. These days I just get out the Hoover and suck em up without having to look but as a kid I’d rush out of the room and refuse to return till it had been removed:o

omg, that is daft, tho if there was a peice of cotton lying around, i woud save you!!!!!!, dangerous!!!!! ooh, smokey_joe to the rescue!!!!!
    :D *hugz**
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    socks.

well, admittance is the first stage of therapy.

I just can't stand socks. I don't know why. :eek: :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Top Soprano
    socks.

well, what about sock puppets, remember, its just a puppet!!!!!!

and i take it u dont ware them then??? :rolleyes: blimey, and i thought mine was bad! :rolleyes: :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by Top Soprano
    socks.

Tell me...........:rolleyes:

Why on earth should we have to go round picking the smelly things up after the men? :eek:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by smokey_joe
    well, what about sock puppets, remember, its just a puppet!!!!!!

and i take it u dont ware them then??? :rolleyes: blimey, and i thought mine was bad! :rolleyes: :D

I suppose it comes down to the fact that they have that bit at the top that always tries to grasp your leg and leave horrible etching patterns on them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have an irrational fear of the Statue of Liberty- scares the hell out of me, esp when It appears on TV!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hmmm, can't think of any phobia I may have. Will think about it... :eek: :cool:

*damo
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Then again, I do have a fear of enclosed spaces. When I was younger, I used to hate the lift (as in elevator, or whatever it's called), as I used to think I would get trapped. Nowadays, I wouldn't mind if it did! I ain't keen on other enclosed spaces though.

And then there's water. Strange one this, as it's only at nightime, sometimes only water in a dark place, or sometimes when light. No fear of it during the day tho, and not always at night anyway. Used to (and still ocassionally do) have dreams of drowning, and falling in fountains. :confused: :eek:

*damo
  • Options
    belugabeluga Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    oh dear:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    oh dear, wot? :D

*damo
  • Options
    belugabeluga Posts: 7,848
    Forum Member
    oh dear me wot:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by The Tired One
    I have an irrational fear of the Statue of Liberty- scares the hell out of me, esp when It appears on TV!

Was that anything to do with the Planet of the Apes and Charlton Heston?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,044
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just thought of another phobia:

those ventriloquist dolls scare the crap outta me - they just seem to look really menacing and evil :eek: :eek: :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 148
    Forum Member
    I know it's ridiculous but i've had an absolute fear of the dark, since I was a child. Even now I have to sleep with the bedside lamp on otherwise i'll lay awake with an over active imagination.
    I recently found out that if you sleep under artificial lighting, your body doesn't create as much melatonin as it needs, increasing your chances of cancer. I'm thinking of getting some kind of nightlight but i'll feel a little silly. :D
    I also hate Rottweilers, they terrify me. Apparently, you should never look a rottweiler in the eye, but after hearing that i've found I do it all the more :confused:
  • Options
    clarriboclarribo Posts: 6,258
    Forum Member
    I'm terrified of roller coasters even tiny ones with no loops in. Just the thought of them makes me feel sick. I went on a little one once and was so scared they stopped it let me off and gave me my money back.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    porcelain dolls - cannot look at them. must have seen some scary movie as a child:confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Onions !! I Cant Stand Onions !! i just hate Them !!! i dont even like Chese and Onion Crisp !!!! I JUst Hate Onions !!