Options

Will you be subscribing to Top-up TV? (merged)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry this probably has been answered before but im really confused

SDN that is mux D right ie the hits etc

DOES this mean all the freeviewers will lose all channels on mux D

Cos if i lost the hits and TMF i would be bloody pissed off as thats one of the main reasons i got freeview in the first place

JEREMY
  • Options
    thewilksthewilks Posts: 253
    Forum Member
    ...oh and Iv'e emailed them about the card reader on the DTVA, just to see what they say, although they do say other boxes coming soon.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Its nuts if Top Up TV don't get someone to manufacture "add on" cardreaders. I have expressed my interest in it with the website, but they only list the ITV Digital boxes as compatible, or the few freeview boxes that have card slots.

I for one, really dont fancy going out and getting a replacement box - its bad enough that Panasonic stopped support for the TUCT-20 (which I have!).

I just hope someone comes up with something that doesn't cost the earth - or as the website mentioned, "new freeview boxes would be available in the coming months".

Its interesting to learn though who are behind the brains of it all. Quote:

David Chance, Chairman

David Chance is currently Chairman of Scandinavian media company MTG – owner of leading channel TV3 and the Viasat pay-TV platform. He is also a non-executive director of Granada and a non-executive director of mobile phone network MM02. From 1993-1998 David was deputy managing director of BSkyB.

Ian West, Vice Chairman and CEO

Ian was Managing Director of Sky Entertainment – the pay TV platform division of BSkyB, and until recently a strategic advisor to NTL and is also currently an Advisory Board Member of Kabel Deutschland Germany’s largest cable company.

:confused:
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Cobson
    The basic NTL package seems to be FreeView + Sky1 + Eurosport + Bloomberg. At £8.50 (excluding telephone line rental) is that such a good deal compared to TUTV ?

British Eurosport and Sky 1 are better than the 10 TUTV line-up put together, besides its really 4 channels rather than 10.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 248
    Forum Member
    Good point Sanderton. Can we restart a poll with more choices? It would be more meaningful.

I too would be tempted, but not for the cost of either an old ITV digital box or a new card enabled box (which presumably is in the pipeline if top-up gets its way). I love my Sony box too much!

And then the choice of channels just doesn't do it. Where's Sky One and Eurosport. The rest (apart from UKGOLD and TCM)are only moderately better than the shopping channels.

For £28 I could buy an X-Box game that would give me far more than a months time share entertainment ;)
  • Options
    raymond901raymond901 Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, MUXA aka SDN:

Five
    QVC
    Bid Up TV
    TUTV 1
    TUTV 2
    TUTV 3

MUX 1 aka BBC:

BBC One
    BBC Two
    BBC Three/CBBC
    BBC News 24

MUX 2 aka D3&4

ITV 1
    ITV 2
    ITV News
    Channel 4
    Price Drop TV
    TUTV 4

MUX B aka BBC

BBC Four/Cbeebies
    BBC Parliament/Community/BBC News multiscreen

MUX C aka Sky

Sky Travel
    Sky News
    Sky Sports News
    UK History

MUX D

TMF
    The Hits
    Ch 22
    Ftn/UK Bright Ideas
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,895
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by jeremymacmull
    Sorry this probably has been answered before but im really confused

SDN that is mux D right ie the hits etc

DOES this mean all the freeviewers will lose all channels on mux D

Cos if i lost the hits and TMF i would be bloody pissed off as thats one of the main reasons i got freeview in the first place

JEREMY
    Not thats a CCI Multiplex, so all those channels will be all staying. The one you should be thinking of has Five, QVC etc on it.
  • Options
    raymond901raymond901 Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Harris-in-Notts
    Good point Sanderton. Can we restart a poll with more choices? It would be more meaningful.

I too would be tempted, but not for the cost of either an old ITV digital box or a new card enabled box (which presumably is in the pipeline if top-up gets its way). I love my Sony box too much!

And then the choice of channels just doesn't do it. Where's Sky One and Eurosport. The rest (apart from UKGOLD and TCM)are only moderately better than the shopping channels.

For £28 I could buy an X-Box game that would give me far more than a months time share entertainment ;)

Thats a NO then...

All we need to know is YES or NO, you can't say YES if bla bla bla bla bla.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by Harris-in-Notts
    No dont do this. Its better as a simply yes or no answer. Cos if your not prepared to buy new equipment (or should that be old equipment) then your not prepared to subscribe to TUTV.

It would be like saying "Yes I want broadband but I'm not prepared to go out and buy a computer".

Either your going to buy a new box and subscribe or your going to stay with what you've got and not subscribe there is really no middle ground. Its either one or the other.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    No, coz i have sky.
  • Options
    urbexurbex Posts: 413
    Forum Member
    a big yes:)

reason being, because i cant get ntl digital or sky digital in my flat, and 8 quid isnt exactly bank busting, now is it??
  • Options
    PaulS67PaulS67 Posts: 12,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thats the same situation here and have already given them my details

Originally posted by urbex
    a big yes:)

reason being, because i cant get ntl digital or sky digital in my flat, and 8 quid isnt exactly bank busting, now is it??
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    No, because I had to run a sky box into my idtv to get decent picture and sound - and because I remember the b@lls-up that last happened with DTT pay TV.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No.

All the good boxes like the new Pace 210, Setpal, and Sony's dont have card readers. You could buy an OnDigital box or ITVDigital - they are cheap - but so is sawing your leg off!

£8-£10 a month in the first year, £12 the 2nd year, £14 the 3rd year.

The only thing that might make me get topuptv is if some of the existing freeview channels were to go pay.

Dave
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes because...
    The service is designed to work with ex ITV/On Digital boxes for which there will be a software upgrade prior to launch of the service.
    ...which means that there should be an update coming for my OnDigital branded Tosh iDTV. :)

I'd pay the £8 for getting Discovery mainly but also the additions of the other channels. The beauty of this is that Rupert Murdoch will not get a single penny of my sub.;)
  • Options
    bounderbounder Posts: 577
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes - even though there are only four streams and the channel line up is a bit disappointing.

I don't really understand what all the whingers and moaners have got to complain about. They aren't going to lose any of their precious Freeview channels - its just a bit extra choice for a very modest price. What could possibly be wrong with that?:D
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No -it's simply not good enough.

Oh and if the poll is representative approx. 1.2 million people will sign up to top up tv. Only problem is that there are only 800,000 boxes:D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 77
    Forum Member
    No -

ITS A RIP OFF
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The so called 800,000 legacy boxes from before freeview days - I wonder how many still are working?

And idtvs. I think a few of the early ones had problems, and have since had their "software support" axed, thus not all idtv's will work with topuptv. Early Sony's and Bush models?

Dave
  • Options
    spacepostmanspacepostman Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I went out and brought ONDigital the day it came out and my Nokia Mediamaster still works perfectly :p

Unless Top UP TV get hold of SKY ONE then they can kiss my digibox goodbye... still at least it's worth something now!!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,646
    Forum Member
    I have expressed interested in the service, though like many other I don't have a box that isn't compatible, hopefully this will change very soon as I want to subscribe. :)
  • Options
    DigifreakDigifreak Posts: 146
    Forum Member
    Originally posted by spacepostman
    I went out and brought ONDigital the day it came out and my Nokia Mediamaster still works perfectly :p

Unless Top UP TV get hold of SKY ONE then they can kiss my digibox goodbye... still at least it's worth something now!!

Indeed, i was all for TUTV, but without Sky One, or E4 at full time, or Boomerang for more than 6 hours a day (past 12pm, when i'm actully up!) I will probably not be subscribing.

At least UK Gold is at a more forgiveable time.
    :confused:
  • Options
    DEmbertonDEmberton Posts: 2,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, well no, but I would have done had I not just moved somewhere I can get Sky.

After a year or so of Freeview, I definitely would have done. If you figure that leaving aside the shopping and music channels, Freeview has four worthwhile efforts: BBC3,BBC4, UK History and Ftn, all of which leave a lot to be desired. Topup TV gets you Discovery, E4 and UK Gold which are kind of on a similar if not higher level - i.e. you're likely to find things to watch fairly often. So three extra channels is a big improvement, and worth the £8 per month IMO.

The loss of Sky One is a bit of a problem for them though.

This poll needs a third option "no because I have Sky/cable". I've not voted for this reason, I'm sure some people have voted no, and the votes of Sky/cable subscribers shouldn't count in this.

Dave
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 58
    Forum Member
    Hi all.
    I did not want sky because of cost, Freeview was the next best thing. costing about £75:00 per box. Great 30 channels free ( note the word free to view)
    and now to pay extra for extra channels How about a refund for not reciveing 30 t.v channels as promised?. Regards Foxy
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Originally posted by DEmberton
    This poll needs a third option "no because I have Sky/cable". I've not voted for this reason, I'm sure some people have voted no, and the votes of Sky/cable subscribers shouldn't count in this.
    Yes but someone who has sky or cable isnt going to subscribe to TUTV so their answer would be know unless they want to subcribe to Sky and TUTV at the same time, which the answer would be yes. Its a very simply question, "Will you be subscribing to Top-up TV?" Yes or No? How hard is this!! Either you will or you wont. Its not asking you if your for or againt Top up tv only asking you if you will subscribe!!!