Options

Sex and the City at 7pm-Anyone noticed this

matthew13matthew13 Posts: 196
Forum Member
Was just flicking through the channels and just notcied that Comedy Central is airing Sex and the City at 7pm in the evening.Although it must be heavily edited the episodes they are screening it does seem a bit of strange choice of program to air at this time before the watershed.

Anyone else noticed this?

Comments

• Options
    lalalala Posts: 21,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gosh that is weird :confused:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 995
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very strange indeed. Surely so much would have to be edited there would be virtually no point?
  • Options
    YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have thought so, too. Haven't really noticed anything too risqué. Although I did note two uses of the word "asshole" lol
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely so much would have to be edited there would be virtually no point?

As in "S** and the City"? :D
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just about to post this. In the first episode we heard 'asshole' twice and saw a shot of Samanthas breast and nipple. How are they doing this, and why are they letting swear words through that they wouldn't do on other shows broadcast later in the evening?!
  • Options
    pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's another asshole, **** and another two shots of Kim Cattrals puppies. How strange, but it is noticeable some stuff has been cut mainly sentences that contain an F word.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    A cleaned up version of Sex & The City was shown on normal cable in the US a few years after being shown on HBO - maybe this is the version CC are showing.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    and saw a shot of Samanthas breast and nipple.

I prefer Miranda's myself. :cool:
  • Options
    mattybmattyb Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just about to post this. In the first episode we heard 'asshole' twice and saw a shot of Samanthas breast and nipple. How are they doing this, and why are they letting swear words through that they wouldn't do on other shows broadcast later in the evening?!

I've noticed stations have started to broadcast content with mild language from 7pm especially with films.

Besides its now at the channel's discretion whether or not they show programmes that contain mild language throughout the day as OFCOM lifted the restrictions sometime ago.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    I noticed this too, was on the laptop not paying attention to the telly, looked up, nipple!

It's odd that it slipped through...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was watching this today on Comedy Central, and again tonight on Comedy Central Extra (the same ep) and it's absolutely ridiculous, it's like every other scene is cut! The story makes pretty much no sense on the earlier one, and literally half of the storylines are cut out. And on the scenes where it has survived, most of the lines are cut rather than bleeping the one word. I noticed today's episode was on from 19:00-19:25 whereas the uncensored version tonight was 23:35-00:10, so that's ten minutes of content already though I'm not sure on the ad lengths.

I've seen the series previously and when I saw it on at 7pm I couldn't see how they could possibly pull it off, and, it seems, they can't. It's one thing showing Scrubs through the day, for example, and cutting out the swearing and certain scenes because it doesn't really change the story, but showing Sex and the City during the day is pretty much akin to showing South Park during the day.

I must admit today was the first time I've given it a watch pre-watershed so perhaps they initially showed the pre-watershed HBO version for the first few episodes and then decided they needed to cut more?

I just think it's a shocking decision personally, are they that hard up for programming?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    It's been on Comedy Central every day for the past couple of weeks at 2pm
  • Options
    zingzing Posts: 797
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe they should just call it 'The City' when it's on in the day? ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    zing wrote: »
    Maybe they should just call it 'The City' when it's on in the day? ;)

There's already a show called 'The City': http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_%28MTV_series%29
  • Options
    YaffiYukYaffiYuk Posts: 1,167
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe they should call it Abrupt Unexpected Edit and The City. Doesn't really have the same ring to it...
  • Options
    James2001James2001 Posts: 73,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is asshole really a particularly nasty swear word? I've heard worse things said in daytime TV all the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1
    Forum Member
    Paddy C - I am quite surprise that you mentioned Samantha's breast being on show - I saw that one and it was the scene where she was being examined and talking about her breast cancer - it wasn't a sex scene! Surely a brief shot of a breast in that scenario isn't going to offend anyone?!?!?! And if it does then maybe they'd better reconsider owning a television. Anything that highlights this disease is surely a good thing?!
    And ok - there is no sex in the city in the daytime but the series was mostly around 4 harridans talking about their failings, the failings of men and the price of shoes - the sex scenes IMO were only there in some respects to try and attract some sort of a male audience! And asshole - really?! I don't find the americanisation of this offensive in the slightest. There is far worse language out there in daytime. I guess if you want the sex and the language then watch it after 9pm - simple!
    Right i'm off my soapbox now :)