Council stops schoolgirl blog pictures

Comments

• Options
    nuttytiggernuttytigger Posts: 14,053
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    What is wee milk?:p

Hehe, wee blue cartons of milk, been searching google images but gone, there was always the dilemma (for me) wether to get 2 x plain ones or 1 chocolate!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    Hehe, wee blue cartons of milk, been searching google images but gone, there was always the dilemma (for me) wether to get 2 x plain ones or 1 chocolate!

I sympathize. With me it was spag bol or scotch eggs.... which were always on the menu on the same day!:(
  • Options
    MsLurkerMsLurker Posts: 1,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    http://www.neverseconds.blogspot.co.uk/ :)

Got to love the internet sometimes!

Aww well done to her. Nice to hear of a 9 year old doing something constructive with their time.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sympathize. With me it was spag bol or scotch eggs.... which were always on the menu on the same day!:(

There was also the minging food days, like mince! I think thats why I still don't like mince, and I left primary school 16 years ago!
  • Options
    Welsh-ladWelsh-lad Posts: 51,925
    Forum Member
    There was also the minging food days, like mince! I think thats why I still don't like mince, and I left primary school 16 years ago!

Mince!!!! Hahaha I remember that. Just a tray of mince!

We also had stuff (wrongly) called goulash.... which was just mince with onions and tomato purée in.:D
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MsLurker wrote: »
    Aww well done to her. Nice to hear of a 9 year old doing something constructive with their time.
    I was wondering what the (31 seconds) in her last post for example and timings in her other posts was all about, I didn't click that it was always after countries or American states.

Went back to the first time she used it:

"Dad timed me to find Chicago on the globe and it took me 48 seconds but it was not fair as I was looking for it spelt SHicargo".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mince!!!! Hahaha I remember that. Just a tray of mince!

We also had stuff (wrongly) called goulash.... which was just mince with onions and tomato purée in.:D

We had "mashed potato" with ours which was grey lumps, again I never liked mash until after I left primary.

I can't actually remember much about our meals, but it was things like chips, toasties, waffles etc, I can mainly remember the bad stuff about it!
  • Options
    goldieloxgoldielox Posts: 8,425
    Forum Member
    I loved school dinners. Thinking back they were on the stodgy side at times but lovely all the same. But then, I WAS greedy little pig back then.

I liked the primary school dinners anyway. The secondary ones were no where near as good.
  • Options
    BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Did anyone else's primary school used to serve wine? Or was it just mine. :confused:
  • Options
    mrkite77mrkite77 Posts: 5,386
    Forum Member
    She would not be allowed to do this at our school anyway as pupils are not allowed to use cameras. phones, smartphones etc.

What's the thinking behind banning cameras? Your yearbooks must suck.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Because it's a page view counter she has, not actual unique visitors. All anyone has to do is keep refreshing the page to keep the counts rising. Considering it's a blog for young kids, you can bet they'll be doing it.

The story went global. Google News is showing 1130 news articles about the ban. It's also now listed on Wikipedia's Streisand Effect page.

It can easily get 2 million views due to all the hubbub about it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    That picture does look unappetizing. Whatever happened to traditional school meals such as corned beef with cabbage & mashed potato followed by custard & pineapple upside down, served on a proper plate?

Whatever happened to brown-bagging it?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Whatever happened to serving dinners on real plates instead of those infantile trays, they look awful and insulting!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kranal wrote: »
    Whatever happened to serving dinners on real plates instead of those infantile trays, they look awful and insulting!

I had trays like that in primary school from 1989-1996
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    I've always found the mix of food on Martha's tray to be a tad bizarre, I was wondering if it was all her choice or what the 'dinner ladies' were offering. For example, I wouldn't have thought the ideal side to a Chicken Fajita was peas and sweetcorn. The peppers and radish served with the Maccaroni Cheese would have seemed more 'normal', and likewise, I'd have thought the mixed veg would be better with that particular meal. It's not just those two. Most of them just look like a combination of items thrown together onto a tray. So just wondering if it's a case of staff not really planning what they are doing and just throwing any old thing onto the tray, or if its purely the result of a girl just choosing the things she likes and other option were actually available?! I can't remember all of the other things that stood out but I think I remmeber a shepherds pie with cucumber?!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RiverChelt wrote: »
    I've always found the mix of food on Martha's tray to be a tad bizarre, I was wondering if it was all her choice or what the 'dinner ladies' were offering. For example, I wouldn't have thought the ideal side to a Chicken Fajita was peas and sweetcorn. The peppers and radish served with the Maccaroni Cheese would have seemed more 'normal', and likewise, I'd have thought the mixed veg would be better with that particular meal. It's not just those two. Most of them just look like a combination of items thrown together onto a tray. So just wondering if it's a case of staff not really planning what they are doing and just throwing any old thing onto the tray, or if its purely the result of a girl just choosing the things she likes and other option were actually available?! I can't remember all of the other things that stood out but I think I remmeber a shepherds pie with cucumber?!

I think its just the salad they offer with the meal, I have noticed however that she says when she doesn't finish her meal she isn't allowed fruit, I don't think thats right.

But my friends little boy gets school meals, and they always have baked beans with them for some reason!
  • Options
    willow32willow32 Posts: 660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I probably am being a bit harsh.
    I don't really object to what she herself is doing.... but I really dislike the hoo-ha and hyperbole surrounding this e.g. the contrived fury at her 'human rights being breached' (which I have heard!) etc etc.

No, you are not being harsh. I agree with you, especially the contrived fury part.

I'm also sick of reading 'little Martha' like she's a toddler. She'll probably be all over the print press now and telly (This Morning etc.).
  • Options
    zoundszounds Posts: 10,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have noticed however that she says when she doesn't finish her meal she isn't allowed fruit, I don't think thats righ.
    Yeah, one dinner was pork and it was black round the edges and she didn't fancy eating it, so couldn't have any fruit afterwards.

Reminds me of the famous "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" from Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2).

They were taking the piss out of that archaic 'post war' way of thinking back in 1979, can't believe that school staff are still strictly enforcing this 'punishment' today.

Same happened to a friend of mines kid, he took in a packed lunch, sarnies, crisps and yoghurt, he didn't like the sarny and only ate half, they took the yoghurt and crisps away from him and only gave ithem back at the end of the day.
    Mate and his wife rightfully caused a big fuss about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    zounds wrote: »
    Yeah, one dinner was pork and it was black round the edges and she didn't fancy eating it, so couldn't have any fruit afterwards.

Reminds me of the famous "If you don't eat your meat, you can't have any pudding. How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" from Pink Floyd's Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2).

They were taking the piss out of that archaic 'post war' way of thinking back in 1979, can't believe that school staff are still strictly enforcing this 'punishment' today.

Same happened to a friend of mines kid, he took in a packed lunch, sarnies, crisps and yoghurt, he didn't like the sarny and only ate half, they took the yoghurt and crisps away from him and only gave ithem back at the end of the day.
    Mate and his wife rightfully caused a big fuss about that.

Yep, I don't blame them, I don't see how anyone other than parents have a right to what your kids can eat.
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of the meals on her blog look perfectly nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,512
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    Some of the meals on her blog look perfectly nice.

That's where the media have been partly responsible for overhyping the story with what appears to me to be the wrong emphasis, and is probably what led to the Council making a stupid and harsh decision.

Even the latest 'success' story on the DM website mentions Martha's "blog of her terrible school dinners" and her "pictures of her miserable school dinners". As I understand it the blog was set up as part of a writing project. It was the case that those first few pictures that were posted looked very limp and unsatisfying but in the duration of her blog there have been many 8/10 and 9/10 dinners on the food-o-meter and even a 10/10. She's rated a number of dinners high on the health stakes as well. She (or her father?!) have made some critical observations but it's just a blog chronicling her dinners. She's seemed very happy with the vast majority of offerings. It's the media that are overplaying it and turning her into some sort of crusader against the evil dinnerladies serving up disgusting slop.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 182
    Forum Member
    i think her school meals look nice dont see what is wrong with them
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrkite77 wrote: »
    The story went global. Google News is showing 1130 news articles about the ban. It's also now listed on Wikipedia's Streisand Effect page.

It can easily get 2 million views due to all the hubbub about it.
    An article about it is only going to contribute to her hits if there is a physical link to the blog.

I'm not saying kids repeatedly refreshing the page (or even people viewing more than one page on a visit) is the soul reason for the number of page views, but it will be a significant percentage.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,421
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    catrin22 wrote: »
    i think her school meals look nice dont see what is wrong with them

I think the first few were a bit naff but on the whole looks nicer than the slop I had in primary school.
  • Options
    Mal80Mal80 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    ylomyloh wrote: »
    I think the first few were a bit naff but on the whole looks nicer than the slop I had in primary school.
    They are reasonable. What bothers me is the heavy reliance on pasta, rice, bread and potatoes - often two at a time, I don't remember my school food being like that. I remember them having lots of meat/fish and vegetables with some form of potatoes. I know why they are doing it though, those ingredients are cheap.