Kindle Touch - is this normal?

TremseTremse Posts: 864
Forum Member
✭✭
After wanting a Kindle for ages I finally took the plunge last week and bought myself a Kindle Touch. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed about anything as I am with this. I've had it 6 days now and I don't know if it's me or if the Kindle is faulty.

I bought a couple of books easily enough but reading them is a different matter altogether. For every 10 minutes of reading I spend about an hour trying to get back to the page I'm up to. I've tried tapping gently to turn the page, swiping the page, but no matter what I do every so often it jumps to the end of the book or some other random place.

I try to go back to the correct page but it ends up on another chapter. I then 'go to' the start of the chapter and carefully start paging through to the point I was up to only for it to randomly jump ahead or sometimes back to the very first page! What is going on???

I've tried looking through Amazon's Kindle help pages, I've tried looking on various forums but I can't find anything specific to this problem. Is it just too sensitive? Is anyone else having the same problem, or have I just managed to buy a duff Kindle?

Is there anyone that can advise me:
  • Am I'm doing something wrong?
  • If all Kindle Touch devices do this is there a fix?
  • Have I got a faulty Kindle Touch?
It's got to the point that I'm noting the location number everytime I turn a page because I never know where I'm going to end up and it's the only way I can try to get back to the right place - surely Amazon wouldn't make such an annoying device - all I want to do is read a book not have my blood pressure shoot sky high every time I switch the Kindle on!

Help...:cry:

Comments

• IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When you google kindle touch screen too sensitive you get quite a lot hits. Also swiping up and down skips to the next/previous chapter, maybe that's what you are doing? If you don't like it exchange it for the basic non touch model or the keyboard one. Definitely less tricky too use. The basic one requires to use an onscreen keyboard and 5 way control, so a bit annoying for typing, but the screen is the same. The keyboard one is one generation old, but still very good. But it's only available with 3G now, so you would be paying for something you may not want.
  • TremseTremse Posts: 864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    When you google kindle touch screen too sensitive you get quite a lot hits. Also swiping up and down skips to the next/previous chapter, maybe that's what you are doing? If you don't like it exchange it for the basic non touch model or the keyboard one. Definitely less tricky too use. The basic one requires to use an onscreen keyboard and 5 way control, so a bit annoying for typing, but the screen is the same. The keyboard one is one generation old, but still very good. But it's only available with 3G now, so you would be paying for something you may not want.
    Thanks - I would really love the KT if it didn't jump all over the place. It's light and clear and I like the features. I just wasn't sure if it was defective or if others had the same issues with how sensitive it is.
    I bought mine from Argos and they don't exchange unless it's actually faulty so I guess I'm stuck with it. :(
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You could always try, show them what you think is wrong with it.