Options

~~~ Christmas 2012 TV Thread ~~~

Comments

• Options
    iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    There are number of Disney Classic animations that have never premiered on Television mainly because Disney thought it would effect Video/DVD sales of their biggest titles.
    The Lion King has never recieved a terrestrial tv premiere either.

Also, I don't know if Disney still do this but they used to re-release their films at the cinema every seven years or something. I saw Lady & The Tramp at the cinema even though I'm 11 years younger than the film.
  • Options
    nigel12nigel12 Posts: 1,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not too keen on the BBC1 schedule really for Xmas Day. Programmes seem a bit padded out - they should have edited a bit out of Strictly/Dr Who and Call The Midwife to fit in either a Miranda or Mrs Browns Boys.

Starting Eastenders this year at 9 directly in line with Downton seems very risky to me. As big as Eastenders is at Xmas they really should have split that into 2 and the main one at 845 or something.
  • Options
    Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I saw on Wikipedia (Not trusting it as a 100% real source..) that there will be TWO Xmas Episodes of Mrs Browns Boys?? Is this true? Would be amazing if there is going to be!! Would make my Xmas!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mrs._Brown%27s_Boys_episodes
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Locarno1 wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I saw on Wikipedia (Not trusting it as a 100% real source..) that there will be TWO Xmas Episodes of Mrs Browns Boys?? Is this true? Would be amazing if there is going to be!! Would make my Xmas!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Mrs._Brown%27s_Boys_episodes

Yes there is 2 episodes.
  • Options
    Locarno1Locarno1 Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    Yes there is 2 episodes.

Brilliant THANKYOU!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    LOL you make it sound like SCD and Bruce demanded it. The BBC want a longer episode to fill the schedule and avoid having to repeat Shrek the Halls or The Gruffalo like previous years.

There is a huge audience available at 5.20. Shrek 2 and The One ronnie got 9m+ in those slots in previous years. DW couldn't manage that in the overnights last year against Family Fortunes in the plum 7pm slot!!

Doctor Who had a better rating than Strictly last year and every year the two shows have co-existed, overnights and finals. Not sure what the BBC is thinking.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Doctor Who had a better rating than Strictly last year and every year the two shows have co-existed, overnights and finals. Not sure what the BBC is thinking.

SCD was against Corrie!!. DW against Family Fortunes;)and Emmerdale in previous years. Last year against FF and in the plum 7pm slot, it couldn't break 9m in the overnights and that was with wall to wall promotion. 3 years previously it managed 12.2m in the overnights.

And as previously pointed out, things like Shrek and The One Ronnie managed 9m in that 5.20 slot previously.
    Not sure what the BBC is thinking.

Shrek+ animation + Doctor who = similar audience

Strictly + Midwife = similar audience.
  • Options
    LinusJLinusJ Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    I can live with Doctor Who being in an earlier slot - my family have their Christmas dinner in the evening, 6.30pm-ish, and the Xmas Doctor Who usually clashes with that. Never understood how people could have their Christmas dinner at lunchtime...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 159
    Forum Member
    SCD was against Corrie!!. DW against Family Fortunes;)and Emmerdale in previous years. Last year against FF and in the plum 7pm slot, it couldn't break 9m in the overnights and that was with wall to wall promotion. 3 years previously it managed 12.2m in the overnights.

And as previously pointed out, things like Shrek and The One Ronnie managed 9m in that 5.20 slot previously.

Shrek+ animation + Doctor who = similar audience

Strictly + Midwife = similar audience.

wall-to-wall promotion? I've never seen a doctor who xmas special trailed less than it was last year (well, besides this year). The campaign for the doctor the widow and the wardrobe is hardly comparable to the 2009 campaign where david tennant was a key part of their christmas idents, for instance.
  • Options
    LinusJLinusJ Posts: 438
    Forum Member
    Is it my imagination, or is that sleigh bells I can hear on the Sky+ menu?
  • Options
    Georged123Georged123 Posts: 5,764
    Forum Member
    The Gruffalo has also hit 10m when it started at 5:30pm. The slot isn't bad fpr Doctor Who, they may be slightly less viewers around at that time but the competition is far easier than after 6pm. I don't see the problem.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    iaindb wrote: »
    Also, I don't know if Disney still do this but they used to re-release their films at the cinema every seven years or something. I saw Lady & The Tramp at the cinema even though I'm 11 years younger than the film.

The first film I ever saw in the cinema was Snow White & the Seven Dwarfs and that was in 1994! :p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 938
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are these schedules the confirmed schedules? As i thought they were not being releasef until today so how have people found out before the schedules are released?
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Are these schedules the confirmed schedules? As i thought they were not being releasef until today so how have people found out before the schedules are released?

These are just provisionals, but, the closer we get, the more likely they are.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

They probably think Who's final rating won't be effected that much by what timeslot it goes out in.
  • Options
    Only_YouOnly_You Posts: 5,976
    Forum Member
    Todays the day! Anyone know what time?
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MusicAndTV wrote: »
    More listings on Digiguide (not finalised, of course):

BBC1:

Sunday 30th December:
    9pm - Ripper Street

I think Ripper Street's promotion could help it get a big rating rather than an Antiques Roadshow lead in. Looks like it could be facing the final Wild At Heart.
  • Options
    cylon6cylon6 Posts: 25,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only_You wrote: »
    Todays the day! Anyone know what time?

This afternoon.
  • Options
    StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A Christmas Film every day in December on Channel 5 !!

Just seen the promo, most seem to be fairly modern.

SKY+HD timers set !!!

There is of course the Christmas 24 channel 327 on SKY too.
  • Options
    guestofsethguestofseth Posts: 5,303
    Forum Member
    cylon6 wrote: »
    I think Ripper Street's promotion could help it get a big rating rather than an Antiques Roadshow lead in. Looks like it could be facing the final Wild At Heart.

I'm still hoping they move Ripper Street, The Lady Vanishes is still missing so I'm wondering if in the final schedule that will take it's place, and Ripper Street will move to New Year's Day with only Gary Barlow and Friends as competition.
  • Options
    AfterTodayAfterToday Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Any sign of anything? I have a feeling ITV are going to be playing some dirty tricks at the last moment. I have no idea why BBC One does not just be selfish and have the line up that suits them best and let ITV play catch up!
  • Options
    hyperstarspongehyperstarsponge Posts: 16,707
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Could BBC1 do a trick and move EastEnders to another night and put Mrs Brown Boys on just before Royal Family? :)
  • Options
    JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,103
    Forum Member
    Could BBC1 do a trick and move EastEnders to another night and put Mrs Brown Boys on just before Royal Family? :)

Eastenders not on Christmas Day?? I cant see the BBC moving its flagship show to another night to make way for some foul mouth drag act!
  • Options
    RobbieSykes123RobbieSykes123 Posts: 14,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AfterToday wrote: »
    Any sign of anything? I have a feeling ITV are going to be playing some dirty tricks at the last moment. I have no idea why BBC One does not just be selfish and have the line up that suits them best and let ITV play catch up!

Emmerdale 7-8pm is confirmed now on the ITV Press Centre site.

Seems obvious that ITV has gone

5.15 YBF
    6.00 ASFF
    7.00 Emmerdale
    8.00 Coro St
    9.00 Downton

How dull, boring, workaday and normal.

But they have played BBC1 perfectly and got what they wanted in the first place.
  • Options
    AfterTodayAfterToday Posts: 650
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emmerdale 7-8pm is confirmed now on the ITV Press Centre site.

Seems obvious that ITV has gone

5.15 YBF
    6.00 ASFF
    7.00 Emmerdale
    8.00 Coro St
    9.00 Downton

How dull, boring, workaday and normal.

But they have played BBC1 perfectly and got what they wanted in the first place.

Its going to be a huge episode of Emmerdale I have heard! and Emmerdale is on fire at the moment!

BBC deserves to get beaten, they have the programmes, but they just ask to get beaten.