Options

Job interview today - help!

mellybumpsmellybumps Posts: 368
Forum Member
Hi, I got some great advice before regarding job interviews so I thought I would ask again. I've got an interview this afternoon for a receptionist/admin type job and I'm really nervous, this job would be perfect for me. The question I always stumble over is "Why do you want this job?"....... does anyone have any ideas? I know that saying the location and hours are perfect would not go down well!!!

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    Argghhh today is getting worse, just discovered that the dog's bath and my other half's shower have used up all the hot water :mad:
  • Options
    GlowbotGlowbot Posts: 14,847
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good luck, just be calm and talk slowly, think before you answer.

If they ask why you want the job, say something like you admire the company ethos, and you are looking for a role that fits your abilities perfectly like this. Then you can say how they are interacting with the public and organisation, or whatever the role entails.
    You can mention the hours and location, just be sure you give reason such as you love the local area and know it well.
  • Options
    Alt-F4Alt-F4 Posts: 10,960
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You like meeting people, opening letters and having a sexy telephone voice. Tits, legs and arse are an optional "nice to have" feature.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mellybumps wrote: »
    Hi, I got some great advice before regarding job interviews so I thought I would ask again. I've got an interview this afternoon for a receptionist/admin type job and I'm really nervous, this job would be perfect for me. The question I always stumble over is "Why do you want this job?"....... does anyone have any ideas? I know that saying the location and hours are perfect would not go down well!!!

My advice for interview is don't think about it or research it or fret about it at all before you go.
    Just sit down and be yourself, let your brain engage when it has to and let your personality come through more than just being to think of the best reply.

This has nearly always worked for me. It you look uncomfortable they will feel uncomfortable. Be relaxed and have an air of confidence about you. Don't do that cliched look them in the eyes and sit up straight nonsense, just use your common sense....

.... Remember in your mind that you are the best person they could possibly employ. And also, that it's only an interview with people who have been there themselves. Try cracking a few jokes to make them feel at ease with you...be a little self deprecating...this can be endearing. Let them warm to you.

....interviews are easy...promise!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Thank you for the replies, I don't think it went very well to be honest :( I think the fact that I really wanted it worked against me because my nerves weren't good. Also I think I did something wrong in the typing test (it was a letter and they said to format and justify as appropriate........... errrrrrrrrrr I can't remember what justify even means). Will know by the end of the week anyway. I've decided if I don't get it I'm going to look for waitressing/bar work, it's not fair that my other half is paying all the bills at the moment.
  • Options
    patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you for the replies, I don't think it went very well to be honest :( I think the fact that I really wanted it worked against me because my nerves weren't good. Also I think I did something wrong in the typing test (it was a letter and they said to format and justify as appropriate........... errrrrrrrrrr I can't remember what justify even means). Will know by the end of the week anyway. I've decided if I don't get it I'm going to look for waitressing/bar work, it's not fair that my other half is paying all the bills at the moment.

I think justify is the correct the alignment? So justified to the left - or centrally or to the right. A letter should be justified to the left.

Best of luck with it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think justify is the correct the alignment? So justified to the left - or centrally or to the right. A letter should be justified to the left.

Best of luck with it!

That's good, I left it to the left. Wasn't sure if they wanted me to justify it so that both sides lined up, if you see what I mean but I thought that wouldn't look right.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My advice for interview is don't think about it or research it or fret about it at all before you go.
    Just sit down and be yourself, let your brain engage when it has to and let your personality come through more than just being to think of the best reply.

This has nearly always worked for me. It you look uncomfortable they will feel uncomfortable. Be relaxed and have an air of confidence about you. Don't do that cliched look them in the eyes and sit up straight nonsense, just use your common sense....

.... Remember in your mind that you are the best person they could possibly employ. And also, that it's only an interview with people who have been there themselves. Try cracking a few jokes to make them feel at ease with you...be a little self deprecating...this can be endearing. Let them warm to you.

....interviews are easy...promise!

I always research the places I get interviews at thoroughly. As a result I know about every crappy building and building product of practically every firm in the country. It's never got me a job lol.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I always research the places I get interviews at thoroughly. As a result I know about every crappy building and building product of practically every firm in the country. It's never got me a job lol.

I researched the crap out of it and it didn't help one bit!!
  • Options
    shhhhhshhhhh Posts: 3,752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Employers dont always employ the most experienced person.

Its certainly not wise to portray yourself as having more experience than the person who is interviewing you, because you will be seen as a threat.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    shhhhh wrote: »
    Employers dont always employ the most experienced person.

Its certainly not wise to portray yourself as having more experience than the person who is interviewing you, because you will be seen as a threat.
    I've done that too. I've had feedback about being over and under qualified for similar roles.

There's no real knowing what they are after. Often it might just be a case something pathetic like replacing the person they had before, so if you looked like them you might even get it!

As someone who's not got a lot of jobs after an interview, don't sweat about it afterwards. Just know you tried your best and use it as experience; you never know anyway!
  • Options
    bossoftheworldbossoftheworld Posts: 4,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You still might have got it - you don't know yet - there's still hope.

Interviewers expect you to be nervous. Did you ask when you would hear back about getting the job?
  • Options
    Pandora 9Pandora 9 Posts: 2,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A friend of my husband's was useless at job interviews. He went for a job at a local hospital and at the end of the interview he was asked if he had any questions. He couldn't think of any so looking out of the window he spotted a large tower, so he said "Whats that tower for over there? pmsl :D:D
  • Options
    Xela MXela M Posts: 4,710
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowbot wrote: »
    I've done that too. I've had feedback about being over and under qualified for similar roles.

There's no real knowing what they are after. Often it might just be a case something pathetic like replacing the person they had before, so if you looked like them you might even get it!

As someone who's not got a lot of jobs after an interview, don't sweat about it afterwards. Just know you tried your best and use it as experience; you never know anyway!

That's what they do at my firm! :D
  • Options
    NeomysterioNeomysterio Posts: 13,453
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Goodluck OP. I use to hate interviews myself but you get use to them. I did well in my last interview and thats how I got this job so you'll be fine after some practice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Goodluck OP. I use to hate interviews myself but you get use to them. I did well in my last interview and thats how I got this job so you'll be fine after some practice.

Thank you, the interview was Monday but I'm waiting to hear back. Don't think it went all that well but I suppose it's all practice!