Psychic possibly caused early death of Amanda Berry's mother.

dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
Forum Member
Amanda Berry is one of the three girls who had been missing for ten years, before escaping her kidnappers this week. Back in 2004, her mother went on the Montel show, where America's most famous and richest "psychic" (Sylvia Browne) told her on national TV "She's not alive honey", and that she would meet her daughter again in the afterlife. The distraught mother (Louwana Miller) then subsequently went home, sold her child's possessions before dying of heart failure soon after.

I can't help that feel the complete loss of all hope, and being told she would see her daughter again in the afterlife, may have contributed to her death.

Sylvia Browne has a long history of similar gaffs.

I know there is an argument that psychics give comfort to the bereaved, and it's "just a bit of fun" or harmless entertainment for the feeble minded. However, surely when you take away all the showbiz and razzmatazz, they are the worst kind of frauds and charlatans out there, making money from pain and suffering, and in cases such as this, possibly causing early deaths. I'm starting to think the law take a stronger look at psychics in general.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qGe7fdXTcg

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/may/07/sylvia-browne-amanda-berry-cleveland

Comments

• SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are these fraudsters allowed to ply their trade?
  • bronsonbronson Posts: 1,441
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sick people preying on the vulnerable.

Beggars belief why loads of mainly women believe this stuff.
  • dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    I've just read that the psychic told the mother that her daughter's last words were "goodbye, mom, I love you". Sylvia Browne has been asked for a statement, but is unsurprisingly keeping her head down until it blows over.
  • egghead1egghead1 Posts: 4,782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sylvia Browne has got previous form for this kind of thing,but people will still defend her and pay to have a reading tomorrow. People are stupid.
  • FlannoFlanno Posts: 1,427
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I hope Ms Browne gets charged for committing a fraudelent purpose on conning hard-earned money out of other poor grieving people. I loathe these so-called 'mediums' as they are the worst kind of people. The same applies to scalpers as well.
  • cjsmummycjsmummy Posts: 11,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flanno wrote: »
    I hope Ms Browne gets charged for committing a fraudelent purpose on conning hard-earned money out of other poor grieving people. I loathe these so-called 'mediums' as they are the worst kind of people. The same applies to scalpers as well.

I was disgusted when I read about what she told the poor mum.Doubt very much she'll be ccharged with anything though.
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sylvia Browne, 'Psychic' Sally, they're all the same. Flakes who prey on vulnerable people and don't realise just what kind of psychological damage they are doing to people.

Although saying that Sylvia Browne 'caused' this woman's death is over the top. Still, I hope she's ashamed for lying to this woman. Sick bitch.
  • AnnaliseZAnnaliseZ Posts: 3,912
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychics may come out with a load of rubbish - but I think you're being a bit hysterical to suggest one might have caused someone's death.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doesnt she have previous with those miners? she claimed they were all dead while they were being shown on the news getting out alive

but seriously, i dont believe this "die of a broken heart" business. there is always a cause of death in this case it was pancreatitis
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    topcat3 wrote: »
    doesnt she have previous with those miners? she claimed they were all dead while they were being shown on the news getting out alive

but seriously, i dont believe this "die of a broken heart" business. there is always a cause of death in this case it was pancreatitis
    A lot of physical illnesses can be caused or exascerbated by stress though, this 'psychic's fraudulent behaviour may well have contributed to this woman's death.
  • SaturnVSaturnV Posts: 11,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Browne still peddled BS and inflicted mental anguish so has to be responsible for the harm she caused.
  • Dr. ClawDr. Claw Posts: 7,375
    Forum Member
    "Sherry Cole, Amanda Berry's cousin, reached out to Browne Wednesday morning to offer her love and support, according to Browne's public relations rep. Cole reportedly wanted to let Browne know that Browne had been accurate in her description of the perpetrators at the time.

“Our family in no way blames Sylvia. This doesn’t change anything. We still love her and believe in her," said Cole in a statement forwarded to HuffPost by Brown's rep. "
  • Cheetah666Cheetah666 Posts: 16,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dr. Claw wrote: »
    "Sherry Cole, Amanda Berry's cousin, reached out to Browne Wednesday morning to offer her love and support, according to Browne's public relations rep. Cole reportedly wanted to let Browne know that Browne had been accurate in her description of the perpetrators at the time.

“Our family in no way blames Sylvia. This doesn’t change anything. We still love her and believe in her," said Cole in a statement forwarded to HuffPost by Brown's rep. "

Vomit. :mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    Visiting a theatre yesterday I see that Sally thing is plying her trade in Plymouth. These people make me sick.
  • skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Words fail me. There is a special place in hell for this woman.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone I loved very much had chronic asthma. Upset about something unrelated, and maybe at a loose end anyway one day when she was alone, she visited a 'psychic' (medium, call it what you will). They told her she only had a few months to live.

She died a few months later - of an asthma attack. I have often wondered if being told that caused her death as when the attack started - and she had had many before - she panicked and simply was unable to breathe. A self fulfilling prophecy, in other words.

That is why I always see these people as worse than charlatans. I think they should be locked up for fraud and preying on the vulnerable. Every last one of them.

The more this is exposed and discussed the closer we move to a society where we say this is simply unacceptable.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,363
    Forum Member

I must admit that I think Sylvia Browne has got a lot of stick over this and is in no way to blame for Amanda's mother getting pancreatitis.
    Amanda's mother will have been desperate for answers 24/7at the time. She will also have known that psychics are not always right. She wanted some comfort.
    How about this and it is absolutely genuine. I am NOT a psychic but I had a dream that the younger Boston bomber was hiding on a boat.
    I woke up next morning, turned on the news to find that he had indeed been hiding in a boat. Don't care if you believe me or not, I shocked myself. !
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,257
    Forum Member
    dawnrayd wrote: »
    I've just read that the psychic told the mother that her daughter's last words were "goodbye, mom, I love you". Sylvia Browne has been asked for a statement, but is unsurprisingly keeping her head down until it blows over.

Well considering how big this story is i hope it's a while. Besides with 3 girls being found alive this is one story that won't be forgotten. Hopefully she is ruined.
  • tellywatcher73tellywatcher73 Posts: 4,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    These so called psychics have been making a living out of desperate, vulnerable people for years. I know someone who's son died and has spent a lot of money going to them. Its entertainment in its very lowest form.
  • batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    LIZALYNN wrote: »
    I must admit that I think Sylvia Browne has got a lot of stick over this and is in no way to blame for Amanda's mother getting pancreatitis.
    Amanda's mother will have been desperate for answers 24/7at the time. She will also have known that psychics are not always right. She wanted some comfort.
    How about this and it is absolutely genuine. I am NOT a psychic but I had a dream that the younger Boston bomber was hiding on a boat.
    I woke up next morning, turned on the news to find that he had indeed been hiding in a boat. Don't care if you believe me or not, I shocked myself. !

Yes, sometimes they guess wrong.
  • dawnrayddawnrayd Posts: 6,746
    Forum Member
    I've just had a look on Sylvia Browne's Wikipedia page, and it lists her profession as "Occupation: Professional Guesser". Surprisingly candid but of course highly accurate description I'd say!
  • ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    dawnrayd wrote: »
    I've just had a look on Sylvia Browne's Wikipedia page, and it lists her profession as "Occupation: Professional Guesser". Surprisingly candid but of course highly accurate description I'd say!

She's not even very good at guessing :p
  • WhisperingGhostWhisperingGhost Posts: 4,762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I HATE this psychic woman. She once told the grandmother of a missing girl (child) that she wasn't dead and had been taken for sex trafficking in Japan. Just pure sick.
  • Erica CartmanErica Cartman Posts: 1,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SaturnV wrote: »
    Why are these fraudsters allowed to ply their trade?

Because morons (believers) allow them to.
  • InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Don't worry folks, she's reassured people out there she is right more times than she is wrong.

What an utter fraud. I hope this is the end for not only her for every other "psychic" who peddles this cow muck.