Little Mix Discussion Thread (Part 8)

Comments

• casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chem wrote: »
    Also with them being plugged as UK biggest girl group now.

Also regarding with the physical for Word Up, its not selling in my Sainsburys....

They are the largest selling active girl group in the UK now, indisputably. The Saturdays are the only other established active girl group and the rest are temporarily inactive (Stooshe, MKS) or just starting out.

So is anyone complaining about these stocking problems for the physical? I hope sales arent lost because of it.
  • DumdedumdumDumdedumdum Posts: 1,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are the largest selling active girl group in the UK now, indisputably. The Saturdays are the only other established active girl group and the rest are temporarily inactive (Stooshe, MKS) or just starting out.

I was always quite surprised at The Saturdays's success as they don't have a signature song. Wings was more successful for LM than Higher I think. I put it down to them filling the gap left by Girls Aloud and media attention from their love lives, but they seem to have some really loyal fans. They did do well without the huge support of performing on the X Factor etc. every album. Perhaps I'm missing the appeal though, their europop sound isn't for me. I do think Little Mix have taken the Girls Aloud throne of best girl group in the UK and now they have finished trying to break the US they can shore up their place here. Because thanks to the single choices I don't think they have as many adult fans as Girls Aloud did at this stage. I'm probably wrong, I've not been a long-term girl group afficianado.
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're performing on This Morning tomorrow. Or appearing, it's unclear but i can't see them showing up and not singing so I guess we'll see.

This performance of Word Up made me happy. I hope they get more dancers for the big performance though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2r4cWgyM-Y
  • davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    There is a rumour that @MOmusic might be the othe support on the girls tour
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,978
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just been into my local Sainsbury`s and saw the single going for £2..Thats quite a deal. Was debating whether if it was worth getting though..I know its for a chairty but im a bit hesisitant as to where SR money goes.
  • ll_Calypso_llll_Calypso_ll Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They're performing on This Morning tomorrow. Or appearing, it's unclear but i can't see them showing up and not singing so I guess we'll see.

This performance of Word Up made me happy. I hope they get more dancers for the big performance though.

Good to hear! 'Word Up' definitely needs the promo if its iTunes progress is anything to go by.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Overtaken by the #SELFIE song on iTunes. Argh!!

If there is one song on the chart Word Up merits being above, it's that one. Absolutely shocking. :eek:
  • shaunnashinesshaunnashines Posts: 5,698
    Forum Member
    Well the single has had terrible airplay (it's not even top 50 on radio), there leaving tv promo until tomorrow and the reaction to the song has been pretty negative.

But at least it will out peak their post album singles...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    One spin from top 40 on US radio. Woo.

45 41 LITTLE MIX Move 800 651 149 2.337

+21 Spins
    -8 Bullet
    +0.113 Audience
    I was always quite surprised at The Saturdays's success as they don't have a signature song.

I do think Little Mix have taken the Girls Aloud throne of best girl group in the UK and now they have finished trying to break the US they can shore up their place here. Because thanks to the single choices I don't think they have as many adult fans as Girls Aloud did at this stage. I'm probably wrong, I've not been a long-term girl group afficianado.
    What About Us hit #1, didn't it? They also don't do much for me, seem like nice enough people but I can't find much interesting about them.

Girls Aloud generally sold more albums and singles domestically than LM at the same phase of their career. LM makes up the gap on international sales and streaming. It'll be interesting to see how management distributes their time for album #3.
  • davem1234davem1234 Posts: 5,451
    Forum Member
    girls aloud were better at selling albums than singles, I have there sales from near the end of 2009 and half of there singles didn't get 100k, ok iTunes was not around back then but no good advice sales are not great, there albums make up for that
  • casualviewercasualviewer Posts: 31,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Were there any successful UK girl groups before the Spices and Bananarama? I dont know if its the age of posters on forums but I never hear about any whereas I can go back to the 40s with The Andrew Sisters in the US.
  • 19921992 Posts: 4,677
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    https://discover.twitter.com/first-tweet

Funny seeing the girls first tweet from back in October 2011 it has only 45 retweets lol.

I cant post the tweet ATM so just click the link and type LittleMixOffic into the search box!
  • ll_Calypso_llll_Calypso_ll Posts: 4,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Forum Member
    Still pushing for a US breakthrough, it sounds like. The way Jade talks about hits... has she been reading this thread?

I'm not a huge fan of Jason Derulo's songs, but that's a really good sax (?) line on Talk Dirty. Maybe a LM spin on that kind of thing would be a hit.

I have a hard time imagining Macklemore would be available/interested.
  • old mixerold mixer Posts: 2,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If the girls can find a smash hit, I won't care who helped them - if anyone.............
    but no collabs please....
  • Mina_CameronMina_Cameron Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I draw the line at Pitbull, Sean Paul and Will.i.am. Otherwise, I'd be open to some form of collab if it garnered a hit.
  • DreCDreC Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The girls need at least 3 hits to guarantee a great selling album and to have any chance of doing well in the US. I was looking at 1D's single success and there hasn't been much of it in the US, their first album only had two singles on the Hot 100, one at #4 another at #39 yet all three of their albums are platinum which again shows the unfortunate reality that girl groups have to try harder.
  • aldualdu Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    First! :D

Jade is crazy lol @ the end part!
    To the ladies on this board, are J&J wearing extension in this particular perf?
    I know Perrie does and Lea not. Thx
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    aldu wrote: »
    Jade is crazy lol @ the end part!
    To the ladies on this board, are J&J wearing extension in this particular perf?
    I know Perrie does and Lea not. Thx

No. Jade just did something different to her. Jesy i know it might seem like she does but she doesn`t.
  • aldualdu Posts: 2,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davem1234 wrote: »
    girls aloud were better at selling albums than singles, I have there sales from near the end of 2009 and half of there singles didn't get 100k, ok iTunes was not around back then but no good advice sales are not great, there albums make up for that

GA were 5 white English girls singing pop, generic pops, cheesy pop covers to which the British audience relate more.
    Sorry to bring up race or colour but that's simply the truth.
    Forum Member
    Girls Aloud were in a better era for album sales in general, even though it was only a few years ago. Didn't realize how weak their single sales were, just looked at their opening week chart placings.

The tradeoff with album sales, I guess, is that live sales tend to be better in this era. I was looking at LM's arena tour, and most of the dates are very nearly sold out now (just a small handful of crummy seats left, in most cases), even before the rest of their appearances in the next couple of months. GA were only touring theaters for their second album.

I've seen comments by label execs about being surprised by live demand several times in the last couple of years, most recently when Ed Sheeran sold out multiple nights at MSG.
    http://music.yahoo.com/news/newer-budding-music-acts-sell-top-venues-185318761.html
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 947
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I draw the line at Pitbull, Sean Paul and Will.i.am. Otherwise, I'd be open to some form of collab if it garnered a hit.

Add Nicki Minaj to that list. I've heard them mention here before and to be honest that'd be the stuff of nightmares, she is truly foul. >:(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Little Mix have been at rehersals for Sport Relief today.

So did they jump off the plane at 12pm today and go straight into rehersals or something? Or did they land yday.
This discussion has been closed.