Options

Low carb / High Protein Diet

Comments

• Options
    jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-207828/Dr-Atkins-18st-died.html

Make you own mind up about his diet. I also presumably knew many people who "did" his diet wrong - strange how so many could get it so wrong.
  • Options
    sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-207828/Dr-Atkins-18st-died.html

Make you own mind up about his diet. I also presumably knew many people who "did" his diet wrong - strange how so many could get it so wrong.

I have the book here. Its still the best book ever and many people even not doing Atkins but Keto or others still revere to the Atkins diet for certain things like stalling etc #
    The newspapers promoted it as a eat a ton of meat and cream diet and many people did just that. Many papers published their own version of what they thought was the diet and people would follow that..

As for the crap about his death its just that, its crap. Do your research and you will find out yourself its just crap and what newspapers do to sell papers.

Most of the "research" into his diet was done by guess who? the sugar industry. No agenda there then :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Welsh-lad wrote: »
    That is very satisfying :). Raised beds is definitely the way to go!

I have a huge fence all around my garden and I have hanging baskets with Toms ( about 15 different varieties) Peppers, Cues, Beans Strawberries and many more things. Also have a old bird station that was dangerous for birds, but has many hooks on it and will have hanging baskets on there too :D
    I'm also going to try growing a few rare edibles in my greenhouse. I'm growing Garlic and Marigolds all round to try and deter pests I'm trying to attract slugs and snails to one part of my garden so they will leave the rest alone.

I'm loving it all.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have the book here. Its still the best book ever and many people even not doing Atkins but Keto or others still revere to the Atkins diet for certain things like stalling etc #

As for the crap about his death its just that, its crap. Do your research and you will find out yourself its just crap and what newspapers do to sell papers.

Most of the "research" into his diet was done by guess who? the sugar industry. No agenda there then :D

No thanks - better things to do with my time - would rather eat a balanced diet than read about these quaks.
  • Options
    epicurianepicurian Posts: 19,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No thanks - better things to do with my time - would rather eat a balanced diet than read about these quaks.

Quacks? Charming.

Whatever you do don't read about Dr. Bernstein and how his low carb diet saved his life. Even the ADA has reversed itself on its low carb stance.
  • Options
    fizzycatfizzycat Posts: 6,120
    Forum Member
    epicurian wrote: »
    Quacks? Charming.

Whatever you do don't read about Dr. Bernstein and how his low carb diet saved his life. Even the ADA has reversed itself on its low carb stance.

I started following Dr Bernstein's diet when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I've lost almost 5 stone, my blood sugars are within the acceptable levels for a non-diabetic without taking any medication, my cholesterol levels are excellent and I have what my GP described as an 'exemplary' blood pressure.

Diabetes UK are revising their stance on the 'low fat, high carb' advice they have supported until recently.

When most people talk about a 'balanced diet' they mean the one that we've had peddled to us since the 1960s which has now been discredited as being based on flawed research with the vast majority of data being ignored because it didn't fit the theory. But we now have a vast and powerful 'healthy eating' industry which stands to lose billions a year if the real truth about high-carb, low-fat eating is generally accepted. If the low-fat, high-carb diet was so good, there wouldn't have been a 1% rise in the incidence of heart disease, obesity and diabetes since it became the prevalent advice given.

The NHS has been telling type 2 diabetics to eat a high carb intake and it's killing people.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fizzycat wrote: »
    I started following Dr Bernstein's diet when I was diagnosed with diabetes. I've lost almost 5 stone, my blood sugars are within the acceptable levels for a non-diabetic without taking any medication, my cholesterol levels are excellent and I have what my GP described as an 'exemplary' blood pressure.

Diabetes UK are revising their stance on the 'low fat, high carb' advice they have supported until recently.

When most people talk about a 'balanced diet' they mean the one that we've had peddled to us since the 1960s which has now been discredited as being based on flawed research with the vast majority of data being ignored because it didn't fit the theory. But we now have a vast and powerful 'healthy eating' industry which stands to lose billions a year if the real truth about high-carb, low-fat eating is generally accepted. If the low-fat, high-carb diet was so good, there wouldn't have been a 1% rise in the incidence of heart disease, obesity and diabetes since it became the prevalent advice given.

The NHS has been telling type 2 diabetics to eat a high carb intake and it's killing people.

Well done. That is absolutely fantastic, fizzycat.

I'm a type 1 diabetic and I started eating low carb when I was trying to lower my hba1c so I could start a family. I hadn't heard of Dr. Bernstein at the time, but removing (though not completely) the thing that impacted my blood sugar the most just seemed common sense. Fewer carbs= less insulin and far fewer blood sugar roller coaster rides!

Dr. Bernstein is one of them men responsible for home glucose testing meters and his personal biography I personally find quite compelling. I don't see how anyone could dismiss him as a quack.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

And yet you took time out of your interesting life to try to discredit a person..
    There are so many like you on FB who post links without looking to see if its true.. Very negative way to be IMO

Your well balanced diet is killing people making them fat and ill, and they cannot understand why.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Well done and I agree with you entirely about the NHS it's almost like they want us on medication because they certainly don't like it when we succeed with out them.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epicurian wrote: »
    Dr. Bernstein is one of them men responsible for home glucose testing meters and his personal biography I personally find quite compelling. I don't see how anyone could dismiss him as a quack.

Yikes! One of the men, not 'them men'!

For anyone curious about Bernstein and his his high fat, low carb plan: http://www.diabetes-book.com/ 64 years with type 1 is quite an achievement.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Well done and I agree with you entirely about the NHS it's almost like they want us on medication because they certainly don't like it when we succeed with out them.

If you look into the big pharmaceutical companies you will find its all about money.. There is no money to be made from healthy or dead people.. Loads to be made from chronicle ill people though.

Just have a look at what Google bring up and if you delve deeper and look into the food industry and what they are doing to the food we eat its quiet scary.
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=big+pharmaceutical+companies++want+us+to+be+ill%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb&gfe_rd=cr&ei=ghBRU8ugBIjR8gfZwoCAAg
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been recently diagnosed with PCOS and severe insulin resistance and just started meds to help. (which is why, no matter what I tried I couldn't lose any weight and was getting more and more sick and exhausted all the time!)

Luckily I'm not diabetic but the dietitian has suggested the "more protein and less carbs" approach with nothing low fat and no artificial sweeteners. As I have IBS as well so I've been given a list of low FODMAP foods to aim for.

Reading the list it looks a lot like a more relaxed long term low carb diets I've been on before (and lost weight on) and even the dietitian said a lot of diets for maintaining a healthy life style has been too "carb heavy and fat free" focused and luckily the HNS are finally releasing this and changing the advice they give out for insulin resistant and diabetes sufferers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Badcat wrote: »
    luckily the HNS are finally releasing this and changing the advice they give out for insulin resistant and diabetes sufferers.

Not before time. I still can't understand why anyone with any medical knowledge was happy to tell patients with blood sugar problems of any kind 'Your pancreas is sick and failing. The best way to proceed is to kill it off completely by giving it even more work to do'. No logic there at all.
  • Options
    BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not before time. I still can't understand why anyone with any medical knowledge was happy to tell patients with blood sugar problems of any kind 'Your pancreas is sick and failing. The best way to proceed is to kill it off completely by giving it even more work to do'. No logic there at all.

Exactly, was panicking as my sister had Diabetes 2 and I remember the diet she was recommended did nothing for her.

I think a lot has to due to the food industry shoving low fat and hidden sugars down our throats for years, the lobbying they do with politicians and money they throw about to persuade everyone "their" way is the right way.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think low carb is a fairly healthy way to eat if you stick to mainly lean meat and veg. I did it, and was in deep ketosis for 2 weeks, but was sick of salad and meat and felt a bit down to be honest. Trying to come up with new dinner ideas was difficult. My appetite was really under control though and I did lose 9lb, but long term it just wasn't for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »
    I think low carb is a fairly healthy way to eat if you stick to mainly lean meat and veg. I did it, and was in deep ketosis for 2 weeks, but was sick of salad and meat and felt a bit down to be honest. Trying to come up with new dinner ideas was difficult. My appetite was really under control though and I did lose 9lb, but long term it just wasn't for me.

As I have allergies my diet is very restricted by fear of dying, boring I find is better than dead. I think it depends on why you are doing the diet of your choice really as to how well you succeed.
    This low carb diet has made such as difference to my life I cannot imagine not carrying on. Food I discovered isn't the only pleasure in life and can just be fuel to do other more enjoyable things.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And yet you took time out of your interesting life to try to discredit a person..
    There are so many like you on FB who post links without looking to see if its true.. Very negative way to be IMO

Your well balanced diet is killing people making them fat and ill, and they cannot understand why.

I have a very interesting life thank you very much thanks to my good health and well balanced diet. I travel the world all year round and continue to eat unprocessed foods which are meat free.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I think it depends on why you are doing the diet of your choice really as to how well you succeed.
    This low carb diet has made such as difference to my life I cannot imagine not carrying on. Food I discovered isn't the only pleasure in life and can just be fuel to do other more enjoyable things.

As I always do when the subject is dietary matters, I agree with every word, molliepops. :)

I get people at work telling me they could never go low-carb because they love bread and potatoes. I ask them if they'd carry on eating them if they faced the prospect of kidney failure and blindness.

Before I radically overhauled my diet I thought I was going to die in the next couple of years. I feel fantastic now.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pugamo wrote: »

For every recipe there is, you will find a low carb version.
    Once you have been on it a while your taste change anyway. You miss the things you used to eat less and less, and so dont really bother trying to even make the low carb versions.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have a very interesting life thank you very much thanks to my good health and well balanced diet. I travel the world all year round and continue to eat unprocessed foods which are meat free.

And once again you take time out to post and yet dont bother to find out if what you posted was true.

Meat free.. Hmmm I remember when that was called a faddy diet :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at this old diabetic recipe book from 1917.

https://archive.org/stream/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala#page/n0/mode/2up

If I were diabetic and given the wrong way to eat I would be so angry. Why on earth did they change it :/ Its got to be to keep people sick >:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look at this old diabetic recipe book from 1917.

https://archive.org/stream/diabeticcookeryr00oppeiala#page/n0/mode/2up

If I were diabetic and given the wrong way to eat I would be so angry. Why on earth did they change it :/ Its got to be to keep people sick >:(

I came to the conclusion a while ago it's money, they make no money out of a diabetic who controls their diabetes with diet, but give them medication and money starts to be made.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I came to the conclusion a while ago it's money, they make no money out of a diabetic who controls their diabetes with diet, but give them medication and money starts to be made.

So many people have lost their lives or limbs because of these greedy bastards.
    I have spent many years promoting lowcarb for health and wellness but just get told I am a idiot if I believe that lowcarb is good for you.
    I'm am so pleased that we are now having a big turnabout in this country.
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I have allergies my diet is very restricted by fear of dying, boring I find is better than dead. I think it depends on why you are doing the diet of your choice really as to how well you succeed.

Bored is certainly better than dead. I'm sure if I had health issues affecting my choice of diet I'd give it more welly and try harder to adapt. I'm definitely trying to eat less wheat and grains these days. It's not too hard to have fruit and Greek yoghurt for breakfast instead of toast, or a salad rather than a sandwich. But I do like potatoes with dinner I'm afraid, or noodles with my stir fry.
  • Options
    BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm only at the beginning of my journey into eating better, so I don't claim to be an expert or to know what works best. Besides, different things work for different people I would think.

I've looked at low-carb diets and done a lot of reading about why we gain weight and why it's so hard to lose and keep off and decided that the answer for me was common sense. Duh, right? Haha, but really, I've cut out the sugary and sweet stuff and I'm just eating normally and drinking lots of water. I feel this is something I can do for the rest of my life, I don't look it as a diet at all, in the modern sense of 'diet' meaning a restrictive plan designed to lose weight in a short period of time. I like pasta and rice and potatoes, but I don't eat oodles and oodles of them, and I don't eat a lot of bread either.

I would say I'm eating lowER carb than I was before but that would be down to eating a lot less sugar-laden food. I've found my appetite doesn't fluctuate so much either. I also don't consider fruit to be part of my problem; I don't have an orange and think oh wow, I could eat 5 oranges, but if I started eating chocolate or biscuits, it would trigger in my brain the urge to eat more and more.

I do agree with those who have commented that for years the health 'authorities' have been giving many of us the wrong advice. That low-fat stuff is for the birds, imo.